Tyler Smith to Iowa

02Ram54

Let me get this straight. One of the main concerns for Smith was coaching stability. With that in mind he picks Alford and Iowa? A school that is replacing an AD and has a HC that can't win. The "Where will Smith transfer" threads next year will be fun. Bring back some corn Tyler... ;)
:laugh:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me get this straight. One of the main concerns for Smith was coaching stability. With that in mind he picks Alford and Iowa? A school that is replacing an AD and has a HC that can't win. The "Where will Smith transfer" threads next year will be fun. Bring back some corn Tyler... ;)

This kind of tells me he's the type of kid that UK may be glad they didn't get....Only in it for himself, doesn't care one bit about the team concept, just about his own numbers....We've already got enough of those types on our team.

Phil Jones alot of it is grades. Tubby was on him before Smith now Tubby will be all over him after Smith shafted us.

Sims is rumored to be headed back west. I would say Sims is 60% gone 40% still here.

As for Smith I think it was Tubby's slow grind it out win style that killed us. It kills us every year with recruits.

Phil Jones alot of it is grades. Tubby was on him before Smith now Tubby will be all over him after Smith shafted us.

Sims is rumored to be headed back west. I would say Sims is 60% gone 40% still here.

As for Smith I think it was Tubby's slow grind it out win style that killed us. It kills us every year with recruits.

Disagree 100%....Iowa has a style very similar to ours...The main reason Smith chose Iowa IMO is that he didn't want to have to earn anything...He was looking for the easy way to get his, no care whatsoever for the team's well-being.

Disagree 100%....Iowa has a style very similar to ours...The main reason Smith chose Iowa IMO is that he didn't want to have to earn anything...He was looking for the easy way to get his, no care whatsoever for the team's well-being.
I don't think there's a reason to bash him for his decision... maybe he just liked it at Iowa better.

Numerous recruits who shafted us or even transfered said they hated Tubby's still and it was boring. What does Tubby really have to offer to a top 10 recruit? There is a reason why our classes have been really bad as of lately and the only good class we got pretty much hated Lexington after first few practices.

1) boring offense

2) defensive minded bball (yeah, real appealing to recruits)

3) a head coach who is known for being a stickler and running a program more strict than the military

4) expectations through the roof from the fan base, which in turn makes recruits question the program and how long a coach will be there.

I didn't realize Iowa used a fast pace style! :rolleyes:

Actually if you look at it all the teams he was considering except for Memphis run around the same kind of style. UK, Pitt, Iowa, UC are all half court defensive minded teams. So obviously he actually must like this sort of style! But it seemed like he wanted to go to a place where he has a better chance to play right away and that is why all of sudden we had like a UC come into the recruiting circle for him because he could have played right away. Now at Iowa he still has a better chance to play more right away than he did here. So I dont think Tubby's style affected rather he wanted to come here or not. I admit on some recruits it might make them not want to come here, but most recruits actually do say they like the style we play here so that really aint the case either!

As for Phil Jones I would much rather have him over Tyler Smith anyways, because that is what we need is big guys! I just hope Jones test scores come in good enough so he can come here, because IMO he will help this team out more than Smith could!

I was talking about the top recruits like Brendan Wright or Tyler Hansbrough who shafted us on signing. Smith a good recruit but not a top. I was just pointing out Tubby's ongoing recruiting trouble. We need a few top recruits, then some fill in guys like a Smith to get where we need to be. The bottom of the half talent is killing us. I know the 2004 class was good but all 3 of those studs tried to leave and 1 is gone, the 2 others would have been gone but it didn't work out.

I was talking about the top recruits like Brendan Wright or Tyler Hansbrough who shafted us on signing. Smith a good recruit but not a top. I was just pointing out Tubby's ongoing recruiting trouble. We need a few top recruits, then some fill in guys like a Smith to get where we need to be. The bottom of the half talent is killing us. I know the 2004 class was good but all 3 of those studs tried to leave and 1 is gone, the 2 others would have been gone but it didn't work out.

I think many thought Rondo was gone after this year. I remember that it was said that Morris was pretty much a one year deal at Kentucky as well. No surprise on them two, just thought Morris would have been smarter about it. Crawford's situation was mainly due to his father. Crawford's situation was 2 years ago and we all pretty much knew that Rondo and Morris would be one and done. Except Morris is back, and I'm happy about that. One would say that he hurt his draft status for this years draft by declaring for last years draft and not doing the smart thing. Therefore my happiness.:thumb:

One would say that he hurt his draft status for this years draft by declaring for last years draft and not doing the smart thing. Therefore my happiness.:thumb:

He has no "draft status". He's an NBA Free Agent when he wants to be...

He has no "draft status". He's an NBA Free Agent when he wants to be...

I think if he were to play with a true power forward that he would have a lot of the load taken off of him and that he would shine a lot more. He is just missing out on that other big man to help him out. I know he has no draft status this year, but I think he would have had a better draft status this year if he played all the games against the weaker opponents to pad some stats. Plus in this year's draft there will not be any "high schoolers" declaring.

I think if he were to play with a true power forward that he would have a lot of the load taken off of him and that he would shine a lot more. He is just missing out on that other big man to help him out. I know he has no draft status this year, but I think he would have had a better draft status this year if he played all the games against the weaker opponents to pad some stats. Plus in this year's draft there will not be any "high schoolers" declaring.

I agree that waiting for this year would have been a MUCH smarter plan. I said that more than a few times last year...