Overpass Collapse On I-75 In Cincinnati?

Colonels_Wear_Blue

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to school with Brandon & he has an 8th grade daughter who plays quite regularly for Bracken County's girls varsity team. Just a heartbreaking story. Brandon's family could use your prayers.

I went to school with Brandon as well. Didn't dream that when I heard the story this morning that it would hit so close to home.

I knew when I saw the name and where he was from that there would be connections to this board.

I am so sorry for everyone who knew this man and his family. That's extremely tough news to hear.

Praying for his family and friends, including those here. I know the Bracken County community will come together to assist his family through their difficult time.

I went to school with Brandon & he has an 8th grade daughter who plays quite regularly for Bracken County's girls varsity team. Just a heartbreaking story. Brandon's family could use your prayers.

His mom is the school nurse at Mason County.

Has it ever been said if Mr. Carl was the only one working a backhoe in the area where the collapse occurred. I swear I can't wrap my mind around this after seeing the enormity of the collapse that he was the only one that was fatally injured. Does anyone know how that type of demolition works? Is there a crew of people? one person? are they located in specific areas of the demolition. When I heard about this, my thinking was of all the hundreds of people that work construction in the city of Cincinnati, the one fatality was a man from little Bracken County that everyone knew or knew of. I've later found out that there are quite a few from Bracken/Pendleton,etc, that work or have worked for this construction company. I just never knew.

I saw the guys father on TV this morning, and he said that his son just started to work the night shift last week. I have been by that area many times the past year and a half that they have ben working on that new interchange, and at night there is not many people there, so I would say he very well could have been the only one on/under or near the bridge.

Sad event, they are lucky that a bunch of cars, or a bus or two were not driving under it when it came down.

I saw the guys father on TV this morning, and he said that his son just started to work the night shift last week. I have been by that area many times the past year and a half that they have ben working on that new interchange, and at night there is not many people there, so I would say he very well could have been the only one on/under or near the bridge.

Sad event, they are lucky that a bunch of cars, or a bus or two were not driving under it when it came down.

I would just assume that there would be a full crew there doing multiple tasks, all in the same general area. But as I said don't have any idea how demolition and construction works for these projects. I thought those types of big companies had a workforce of mostly those living in and around the city, did not realize so many from my area were employees or used to be at one time

Edited by hoops5
fixed Quote tags

Has it ever been said if Mr. Carl was the only one working a backhoe in the area where the collapse occurred. I swear I can't wrap my mind around this after seeing the enormity of the collapse that he was the only one that was fatally injured. Does anyone know how that type of demolition works? Is there a crew of people? one person? are they located in specific areas of the demolition. When I heard about this, my thinking was of all the hundreds of people that work construction in the city of Cincinnati, the one fatality was a man from little Bracken County that everyone knew or knew of. I've later found out that there are quite a few from Bracken/Pendleton,etc, that work or have worked for this construction company. I just never knew.

I have a degree in construction management, but I'm a commercial construction guy, and I've never done road construction...which is a TOTALLY different animal, so take what I say as an educated guess of sorts.

I'd assume this would probably be a crew of maybe 2-6 workers. Given the fact that the work was all being done immediately adjacent to and on the shoulders of an operating expressway, I would assume it would probably be on the smaller (2 or 3 workers) side of things.

The way the demo was most likely taking place was that they have one person on a trackhoe with some sort of

or
attachment. That worker would be tasked with breaking and cutting through all of the overpass material up-to-but-NOT-including the connection points to the bridge stanchions, so as to isolate the stanchions and overpass bridge itself and demolish all of the existing overpass leading up to the bridge. That worker would have been Brandon Carl. Then there would also likely have been another worker, often referred to simply as a "helper" or "signaler", who would be doing things like giving hand directions to the trackhoe operator to help guide the trackhoe's movements. They may have also had another worker or two on cleanup, and they could have potentially had some sort of structural inspector to oversee things. As for a structural inspector, it's pretty unlikely that he would be there the entire time watching, and more likely that someone like that would give initial direction on how to go about demolishing the specific parts of the bridge, and then he would come back periodically to inspect progress.

Then, once they have everything except that actual bridge and its stanchions demolished, they would close one half of the lanes on the expressway and remove all of the concrete/road surface from on top of the steel support beams, and then once they had removed all of that concrete/road surface, they would switch the lane closure over to the other side of the expressway and remove all the concrete/road surface from that side. Once the concrete demo is complete, then they are left with just the beams supporting the bridge, and those can be detached and crane-lifted off the stanchions and out of the way.

Obviously something went seriously wrong with the demo process on this specific overpass, and as much as I hate to say it, my gut tells me that the problem was very likely to have started with a mistake made by the trackhoe equipment operator...Brandon Carl. Sad sad sad.