Drivers license - One parent supports and one doesn't - What to do?

NamecipS

A friend and I were having a discussion about our kids and the upcoming 16th birthdays. He indicated that he was against his son getting his license(even the temps) because he didn't feel his son was responsible enough or ready to drive. The mother disagreed and supported getting the license.

What to do when parents disagree?

A friend and I were having a discussion about our kids and the upcoming 16th birthdays. He indicated that he was against his son getting his license(even the temps) because he didn't feel his son was responsible enough or ready to drive. The mother disagreed and supported getting the license.

What to do when parents disagree?

Don't you have to log a certain # of "hours" once you've gotten your temps to be eligible for your actual license? I say let them get the temps and then strictly monitor/limit the amount of driving they do until they agree he's responsible enough.

Best thing my parents did and they did it with all of my brothers and sisters (6 of us) was not allow us to get our license until we were 17.

It worked out great and the reason was, our friends were all getting their licenses at 16 and basically we had that year to watch our friends screw up driving because it was something cool and new. By the time we would turn 17 we already had a year under our belts of riding around with our friends and watch all the mistakes they made and then learned it was a big responsibility instead of something new and cool.

It was like the newness wore off by the time it was our turn. We all went into it with much more appreciation and knowing how serious it actually was to be able to drive. It was a privilege not a right.

I think UKMF is onto the right answer. Parents control all of the cards when it comes to kids getting a license. If dad isn't comfortable, then dad should be the one taking Jr out for his driving time that has to be logged. Then Dad can see if Jr is responsible or not enough to get his license.

FWIW I think making a kid start out driving a "Stick" is the best thing for them. Driving a "Stick" takes more concentration and IMO makes the kid pay more attention to what they are doing instead of getting too comfortable driving and fiddling with Radio, IPod or Phone.

Is the question

Do we let the kid get his license? or

How do the parents come to an agreement?

The second, I believe.

I think it's a two part question. How do parents come to an agreement being one question. The second part, which I didn't really articulate, what if parents can't come to a common ground agreement, can on parent block the process?

Mrs. S and I virtually always agreed on how to handle the kids. However, had there been a difference of opinion, financing any vehicle the kid would drive and insurance involved would be the responsibility of the parent in support of the permit. Since I would be in opposition, I'd make sure my estate was protected from irresponsible behavior, by my kid or my spouse. Just me, though.

Just so you guys know I'm being consistent, my kids had to work to buy their own vehicles and be able to pay for their own insurance before they could drive anything. They never drove our cars. Their insurance was always separate, never added to our policies. They even had to find their own insurance, because our company, to insure new underage drivers on a solo policy, was too expensive for them. One is extremely responsible, almost OCD about it, the other married well. :D

Don't you have to log a certain # of "hours" once you've gotten your temps to be eligible for your actual license? I say let them get the temps and then strictly monitor/limit the amount of driving they do until they agree he's responsible enough.

Agreed. No rule that says you have to put them on the road day 1 with their temps. I always took my kids to the park or church parking lot and just let them get used to driving with no cars around. The kid will prove who is right.

Agreed. No rule that says you have to put them on the road day 1 with their temps. I always took my kids to the park or church parking lot and just let them get used to driving with no cars around. The kid will prove who is right.

I'll never forget the day I got my temps. Dad picked me up from practice & was sitting in the front passenger seat waiting for me. Keys were already in the ignition and he said "let's go."

Granted, I had some experience driving other vehicles (go karts, lawn mowers, tractors, 4 wheelers, etc.) but little to no experience behind the wheel of a car. He made me take Dixie Highway before getting onto the expressway, which is probably more dangerous than hopping right on 75. :lol: