January 12, 201511 yr Yes, I thought Dallas benefitted from the picked up flag against the Lions and yes I hate that catch rule that benefitted the Packers today and yes I like the Packers, but I still would not have minded if Dallas had won just because of all the crap that Romo has taken over the years. I thought it would have been fitting if he would have won in Seattle(where all the jokes began with that botched snap) and made it to the Super Bowl. Rodgers should have many more chances, don't know about Tony.
January 12, 201511 yr They should replay every play, the ref may miss the spot by an inch. It was a catch IMO I am now convinced the NFL is rigged, I kept waiting for hulk hogan to run out on the field and pile drive the ref
January 12, 201511 yr They should replay every play, the ref may miss the spot by an inch. It was a catch IMO I am now convinced the NFL is rigged, I kept waiting for hulk hogan to run out on the field and pile drive the ref We are on the same page now. Any time there's an injury, I suspect the four horsemen caught someone in the locker room and took him out.
January 12, 201511 yr I see no difference between the Calvin Johnson play and the Dez Bryant play. On both plays the players catch the ball while falling to the ground. Both players do make a maneuver with their body while holding the ball. Both players allow the ball to hit the ground and lose control. I say Johnson had more control of the ball than Bryant did and his was ruled incomplete. I think it is an incomplete pass and the NFL should not change the rule. If the ball hits the ground while the receiver is falling down and the receiver loses control, it has to be an incomplete pass. Anything else brings too much subjectivity into it.
January 12, 201511 yr I have a question for you to answer. Do you think the call was consistent to calls made all year in a similar situation? I cannot answer that one. Outside of the Bengals I did not watch much NFL.
January 12, 201511 yr From the NFL casebook that officials use: http://www.covers.com/postingforum/post01/showmessage.aspx?spt=21&sub=102043619&page=2 A.R. 8.12 GOING TO THE GROUND—COMPLETE PASS First-and-10-on B25. A1 throws a pass to A2 who controls the ball and gets one foot down before he is contacted by B1. He goes to the ground as a result of the contact, gets his second foot down, and with the ball in his right arm, he braces himself at the three-yard line with his left hand and simultaneously lunges forward toward the goal line. When he lands in the end zone, the ball comes out. Ruling: Touchdown Team A. Kickoff A35. The pass is complete. When the receiver hits the ground in the end zone, it is the result of lunging forward after bracing himself at the three-yard line and is not part of the process of the catch. Since the ball crossed the goal line, it is a touchdown. If the ball is short of the goal line, it is a catch, and A2 is down by contact. Edited January 12, 201511 yr by Clyde
January 12, 201511 yr They just reiterated at halftime of the Colts game that because he didn't maintain control all the way to the ground it was an incomplete pass. That came from VP of officiating. They also referenced the Johnson catch/non catch as an example which I said was the same thing Still stupid rule though. What was funny though was Jason Garrett's comments after the game. If anyone heard his pressed last week when questioned about the call I. That game' date=' he said something along the lines that he wouldn't question the officials and am sure they make the right calls on replays, and even said he would hope he would say the same if it was a call against his team. Well this week it was and he basically retracted everything he said last week lol.[/quote'] He added later that they did not consider him to be making a football move.
January 12, 201511 yr I have never seen a receiver go to the ground without tucking the ball UNLESS they were stretching for the goal line. Dez did not tuck the ball.
January 12, 201511 yr We will take an overnight recess amd pick this up in the morning. Jury you are to avoid contact with the media until then...:lol2:
January 12, 201511 yr From the NFL casebook that officials use: All you "rules" followers !! 01-11-2015-5:04 Covers A.R. 8.12 GOING TO THE GROUND—COMPLETE PASS First-and-10-on B25. A1 throws a pass to A2 who controls the ball and gets one foot down before he is contacted by B1. He goes to the ground as a result of the contact, gets his second foot down, and with the ball in his right arm, he braces himself at the three-yard line with his left hand and simultaneously lunges forward toward the goal line. When he lands in the end zone, the ball comes out. Ruling: Touchdown Team A. Kickoff A35. The pass is complete. When the receiver hits the ground in the end zone, it is the result of lunging forward after bracing himself at the three-yard line and is not part of the process of the catch. Since the ball crossed the goal line, it is a touchdown. If the ball is short of the goal line, it is a catch, and A2 is down by contact. I am not sure that is the current rule. That post is from 2012. Here is video of another Calvin Johnson catch in 2013 that was ruled incomplete. Go to the last part of the video for the best view and the ruling. Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson's touchdown overturned - NFL Videos This video and ruling is consistent with the Bryant play being ruled incomplete. If the ball hits the ground and the player loses control as he is falling while making a catch, then it is going to be incomplete. I like the rule that way as it minimizes subjectivity. Side note: I believe the lead official in the Cowboys playoff game is the same lead official who was at the original Calvin Johnson play back in 2010 that spurred the "Calvin Johnson Rule".
January 12, 201511 yr The Cowboys got shafted!!!! The NFL stinks now. :lol2: They didn't get shafted. They did the same thing the Lions did, they got beat. If you have to depend on the outcome of one call, you didn't do what it takes to win. It's that simple.
January 12, 201511 yr The Cowboys had the opportunity to put this game away and didn't. They should have rushed Rodgers but didn't. Going into the half, they should have given the ball to Murray on a 3rd and 1 and didn't. The refs did not take this game away from the Cowboys. Less than stellar coaching did.
January 12, 201511 yr They didn't get shafted. They did the same thing the Lions did, they got beat. If you have to depend on the outcome of one call, you didn't do what it takes to win. It's that simple.
January 12, 201511 yr It was the proper call. I view it as no different than the WR making a leaping catch near the sidelines. He goes up, comes down with both feet in-bounds, his momentum takes him to the ground and the ball pops loose. Incomplete. Dez went up, made the catch, his feet came down in-bounds, his momentum took him to the ground. By definition, he has to maintain possession through the contact with the ground. He did not, therefore it's an incomplete pass.
January 12, 201511 yr It was the proper call. I view it as no different than the WR making a leaping catch near the sidelines. He goes up, comes down with both feet in-bounds, his momentum takes him to the ground and the ball pops loose. Incomplete. Dez went up, made the catch, his feet came down in-bounds, his momentum took him to the ground. By definition, he has to maintain possession through the contact with the ground. He did not, therefore it's an incomplete pass. Did you think he stretched the ball out for the end zone? That's all that is debatable on this play IMO.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.