Inside the 10th Region (1-11-15)

Augusta has 13 wins. 1 of those wins was against a team presently with a record above .500 (Scott).

They beat Scott (without Schneder) & Harrison, then also lost to Model, Iroquois, & Pendleton.

Just like last year when they won 20 games. They started off with a lot of wins and finished with a lot. but when they hit the meat of their schedule they didn't fair so well. 7 other teams in the region finished with more wins in the region. But you can not argue the tougher schedule did not help them prepare for Mason.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mason County is the clear #1 and they have proved it so far. It's hard for me to rank a top 10 because I haven't seen all the teams play. But the most scrutinized team in the region seems to be Augusta. I've seen the Panthers play 17 times this season and there have been highs and lows. The highs are of course the wins over Scott and Harrison County. Neither opponent was at full strength but both were still quality teams and at the end of each contest, Augusta won. Their lows were losses to Pendleton County, Boone County, Model and Iroquois. The Panthers should have won 3 of those four and be 16-3 right now but their late December slump made them a team that no one is talking about anymore. They won't be complaining about that either. They are currently on a four game winning streak heading into Thursday night's matchup with Paris in the class a semifinal. Don't use scores of common opponents to define Augusta or anyone else, none of it makes sense. Every game and opponent is different and there are so many factors that can play into each game. Personally I thought Augusta would move up in the rankings this week but I understand why they didn't. At the end of the day, when the 39th district draw comes in early February, the most nervous coach in the room will be Chris O'Hearn. Because no matter what me, or anyone else says right now, Mason County does not want to face Augusta the in the semifinal round this season.

Coach O'Hearn may be nervous because of the last two years, but Coach Hinson will be more nervous. It will be a close game no matter what, but the Royal's wont have a problem with the Bach-Less Panthers this year. Royals by 10+ on their homecourt would be my prediction.

I have not seen Augusta and in fact do not have a dog in the hunt. However, I know the 6th region very well and I understand Mason is pretty good. The loss Augusta had to Iroquois has me thinking that Augusta struggles against an athletic team. That is really all Iroquois has going for them. They have won 2 games against 6th or 7th region public schools. I think they may have 5 wins total. Both of those wins were to the bottom teams in the region. They are getting beat soundly against everyone else. They just are not a very good basketball team. That loss would be a hard one to understand and explain away unless multiple starters were out for me to believe Augusta would be competitive versus Mason or any other top 10th region team. I do not think the disparity of the 6th and 10th is that great for a bottom team in the 6th to win against a top tier 10th region team.

I have not seen Augusta and in fact do not have a dog in the hunt. However, I know the 6th region very well and I understand Mason is pretty good. The loss Augusta had to Iroquois has me thinking that Augusta struggles against an athletic team. That is really all Iroquois has going for them. They have won 2 games against 6th or 7th region public schools. I think they may have 5 wins total. Both of those wins were to the bottom teams in the region. They are getting beat soundly against everyone else. They just are not a very good basketball team. That loss would be a hard one to understand and explain away unless multiple starters were out for me to believe Augusta would be competitive versus Mason or any other top 10th region team. I do not think the disparity of the 6th and 10th is that great for a bottom team in the 6th to win against a top tier 10th region team.

One reason to think that Augusta would be competitive with Mason is they have already played them competitively this season.

Coach O'Hearn may be nervous because of the last two years, but Coach Hinson will be more nervous. It will be a close game no matter what, but the Royal's wont have a problem with the Bach-Less Panthers this year. Royals by 10+ on their homecourt would be my prediction.

Can't imagine why Coach Hinson would be more nervous. Seems to me all the pressure would be on Coach OHearn to win, if they are such the favorite.

Of course, all this is assuming they even meet again.

One reason to think that Augusta would be competitive with Mason is they have already played them competitively this season.

That is a good point, and any given night if the better team has an off night where the ball just does not fall and the lesser team hits everything they put up all bets are off on who may win or how close a game is played. I just know that Iroquois is getting beat badly by middle of the road teams in the 6th region and they have not even played the top tier teams like Doss or PRP yet. They beat Augusta by about 10 or so I believe. Perhaps the 6th is that much better top to bottom or somebody had a really good night and somebody a relly poor night to explain that one.

That is a good point, and any given night if the better team has an off night where the ball just does not fall and the lesser team hits everything they put up all bets are off on who may win or how close a game is played. I just know that Iroquois is getting beat badly by middle of the road teams in the 6th region and they have not even played the top tier teams like Doss or PRP yet. They beat Augusta by about 10 or so I believe. Perhaps the 6th is that much better top to bottom or somebody had a really good night and somebody a relly poor night to explain that one.

I fully understand your logic. FYI- Last year Augusta and Mason hooked up early in the season, with Mason coming away with a 17 point victory. But when they met in the district semifinal, Augusta was victorious.

Of course, Brent Bach had 48 points to lead Augusta to that victory, but once again, I think most would agree that on paper, Mason should have dominated Augusta in that semifinal, yet they didn't.

Saw the Augusta loss to Iroquos, and the comment of the Panthers having challenges against athletic teams is probably accurate. This game was their 7th in 10 days. When you play mostly just 5 players, they will always be challenged in multi-game tournaments. Hinson is desperately trying to find a 6 & 7 player to rotate. But with a few days between games, he can spin his magic and have the Panthers competitive. Got to love these home grown boys from a high school of only 104 students (9-12th). Hearts and heads are off the charts. Got to hit threes. Major weakness is rebounding. When Snapp and Tucker are fighting underneath the Panthers are at their best. All A game against Paris on Thursday should tell us a lot about these two teams potential.

Bracken also lost to Pendleton. Guess we should be tied with you all...plus we beat Augusta.

blah blah blah..........

Just kiddin Dawg PC has a very nice team. Could make some noise in their district if they draw the right straw. Agreed the split with bracken and the 8 pt win over Augusta would probably give the wildcats a slight edge in any rankings over Bracken. Where is the district at in the 38th this yr? PC is hard to beat at home.....

blah blah blah..........

Just kiddin Dawg PC has a very nice team. Could make some noise in their district if they draw the right straw. Agreed the split with bracken and the 8 pt win over Augusta would probably give the wildcats a slight edge in any rankings over Bracken. Where is the district at in the 38th this yr? PC is hard to beat at home.....

It's at Robertson.

It all comes down to drawing a pill out of a bottle.