Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

7 Things I Can Do My Black Son Can't Do

Featured Replies

I've admitted in other threads that White Privilege in 2014 isn't the same as it was in 2004, 1994 and 1984. It is still here in 2014 but not like it was a decade or two ago. In that aspect things are definitely moving in the right direction.
This is the point I was making when I said things are getting better and aren't like they were. What you call white privilege I just call racism (which is what rockmom described in post #50, her boss was/is racist). I know it happens, I just think the article makes it sound like it happens as much or more than it did decades ago, which I disagree with.
  • Replies 89
  • Views 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure of your point.

 

My point was the author was saying his son is not taught about his heritage. I was pointing out that most people living in Africa are not taught about their heritage in their own countries.

My point was the author was saying his son is not taught about his heritage. I was pointing out that most people living in Africa are not taught about their heritage in their own countries.

What does that have to do with this discussion? What is taught or is not taught in other countries has nothing to do with what is or should be taught in this country.

 

How many African countries did you live in and your son go to school in to have insight into their educational system? I am a science teacher in a Kentucky high school and I know what content is supposed to be taught in science classes in Kentucky. I don't firmly know what content is supposed to be covered in history in Kentucky, less so of science and history in, say, Wyoming, and next to nothing of what is supposed to be taught in Canada or Mexico.

"you do know some things happen and hold some people back because they are white don't you? The same as you say black people are held back because they are black. It does happen both ways which is sad, and it happens when the decision maker or person of authority is black or white."

 

False, please show a policy that a black person put in to discriminate against white people.

 

I didn't say policy. Just as Rockmom posted about her boss, I am sure there wasn't a policy written at her work that they cant hire a black person. It is individuals that are racist today, not written policies. I would like you to show me a policy that discriminates against black people. Quite the opposite there are laws preventing that.

I didn't grow up privileged, in the sense that we were even middle class. I got divorced and was jobless and homeless for a while. I was able to pull it all together eventually, by getting bettebetter and better jobs. I never walked into an interview wondering if I would be considered, never worried I might not get the job because I was white. Heck, I may have gotten jobs over more qualified individuals because I was white. I don't know, because I never saw any of my competitors. But a good friend of mine has been passed over several times for positions of advancement, including one I actually interviewed her for. HR forced me to promote someone who had less experience, less loyalty and fewer of the skills needed for the position. There was no reason for HR to override my decision, except that they disn't want a black woman to be the "face" of the organization

I absolutely know white privilege is a fact.

 

Then I'm certain that as a person of principle you immediately resigned, correct?

Then I'm certain that as a person of principle you immediately resigned, correct?

 

I filed a formal complaint with our corporate office. Not being independently wealthy, I had to wait till I found another job before I could resign.

What does that have to do with this discussion? What is taught or is not taught in other countries has nothing to do with what is or should be taught in this country.

 

How many African countries did you live in and your son go to school in to have insight into their educational system? I am a science teacher in a Kentucky high school and I know what content is supposed to be taught in science classes in Kentucky. I don't firmly know what content is supposed to be covered in history in Kentucky, less so of science and history in, say, Wyoming, and next to nothing of what is supposed to be taught in Canada or Mexico.

 

I thought it was important to the discussion. I am familiar with the educational system in Ethiopia.

 

The point is if they aren't being taught in their own countries, how do you expect a USA school to know what to teach?

What about item #1?

 

Seems to me what the author is saying is that people of color have a much more difficult time enjoying life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

 

While some of his examples are anecdotal and not scientific, I absolutely believe #1 to be true.

What does that have to do with this discussion? What is taught or is not taught in other countries has nothing to do with what is or should be taught in this country.

 

How many African countries did you live in and your son go to school in to have insight into their educational system? I am a science teacher in a Kentucky high school and I know what content is supposed to be taught in science classes in Kentucky. I don't firmly know what content is supposed to be covered in history in Kentucky, less so of science and history in, say, Wyoming, and next to nothing of what is supposed to be taught in Canada or Mexico.

 

On another note, it is this Dad's responsibility to teach his child about his heritage. That's what my wife and I have to do for our children. Our school system doesn't offer an Ethiopian heritage course.

What about item #1?

 

Seems to me what the author is saying is that people of color have a much more difficult time enjoying life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

 

While some of his examples are anecdotal and not scientific, I absolutely believe #1 to be true.

Seems like the "people of color" I know well are having as good time enjoying life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as me and my family. Maybe it's just our circle ?
I thought it was important to the discussion. I am familiar with the educational system in Ethiopia.

 

The point is if they aren't being taught in their own countries, how do you expect a USA school to know what to teach?

 

Even if I accept that you are familiar with the entire history curriculum for a whole country, that doesn't say anything about the other African countries, nor should it determine the curriculum in the US.

On another note, it is this Dad's responsibility to teach his child about his heritage. That's what my wife and I have to do for our children. Our school system doesn't offer an Ethiopian heritage course.

 

Doesn't that support the point of discussion from the article? Your son will learn plenty of European history at school, but next to nothing of any African history.

I didn't say policy. Just as Rockmom posted about her boss, I am sure there wasn't a policy written at her work that they cant hire a black person. It is individuals that are racist today, not written policies. I would like you to show me a policy that discriminates against black people. Quite the opposite there are laws preventing that.

 

Hellbird, I'm talking about how former policies that were put in place and how racial discrimination has led to the way some things are today. Like how segregated a lot of the cities are and how black people make up a good portion of the poor neighborhoods. I'm not blaming everything on white people. I agree that all sides need to admit that they can do their part to advance. I guess what I worded poorly in my former post was that even though things are better today, that black people still feel the affects of the the many forms of racial discrimination that black people faced in the past and just because it happened in the past, doesn't mean it didn't affect their future.

Even if I accept that you are familiar with the entire history curriculum for a whole country, that doesn't say anything about the other African countries, nor should it determine the curriculum in the US.

 

I see it is pointless to continue to discuss this with you.

 

No, I don't have first hand knowledge of all the African countries, just what I have been told by people that have lived there. It is a completely different education system in Ethiopia than you are used to as a teacher.

 

BTW, my daughters are from Ethiopia not a son.

I see it is pointless to continue to discuss this with you.

 

No, I don't have first hand knowledge of all the African countries, just what I have been told by people that have lived there. It is a completely different education system in Ethiopia than you are used to as a teacher.

 

BTW, my daughters are from Ethiopia not a son.

 

You don't have to continue. That is up to you. Broad generalizations are usually hard to support.

 

Post #69 mentioned that it was "this dad's responsibility to teach his children about his heritage." I took that to mean the child's heritage. My apologies.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.