Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

7 Things I Can Do My Black Son Can't Do

Featured Replies

I do agree that a lot of the issues are socioeconomic ones and, with that, minorities are more likely to be poor.

 

What about these?

3. I Learned About My Ancestors’ History in School

4. I Can Lose My Temper in Traffic

7. I Can Count on Being Met on My Own Terms

 

 

#7 honestly is confusing.

 

#3 I'm of Irish and German dissent. The only thing I learned about the Germans before college was they started each world war and with my Irish dissent maybe the potato famine that led to massive immigration to the United States. What that isn't already taught in our schools should be taught about African history that isn't ?

 

#4 again I don't think anyone should lose their temper but I am guilty. But unless your breaking the law you aren't getting arrested.

  • Replies 89
  • Views 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
#7 honestly is confusing.

 

#3 I'm of Irish and German dissent. The only thing I learned about the Germans before college was they started each world war and with my Irish dissent maybe the potato famine that led to massive immigration to the United States. What that isn't already taught in our schools should be taught about African history that isn't ?

 

#4 again I don't think anyone should lose their temper but I am guilty. But unless your breaking the law you aren't getting arrested.

 

Did you ready the article? I thought that #7 was pretty clear.

 

What is taught in school about African history?

 

Again, with #4, did you read the article?

Did you ready the article? I thought that #7 was pretty clear.

 

What is taught in school about African history?

 

Again, with #4, did you read the article?

 

Yes I read the article. #4 is an example of a hersay quote of an unnamed white lady. I'm guessing the same lady would be scared of a white guy with tats driving a Harley. Again goes to the exception not the rule. That was a silly example.

 

On history again what African history do you want taught I asked. The history of the slave trade and its ties into our country is taught. I just don't get what they want taught. Again based on my experience most of history class was a combination of Social Studies and American History in grade school . High school consisted of American , world and government classes. Until you get into college and you can explore you are mostly taught the basics unless you are in AP classes.

 

So again what African History should be taught I'm not against it I asked a question. Are there specific countries that are igored that are important to be taught before college. There are plenty of countries ignored of all races because of lack influence or power through out history.

I'm Scottish and don't know much about my history. I do know more

about African countries than Scotland. Just sayin

Yes I read the article. #4 is an example of a hersay quote of an unnamed white lady. I'm guessing the same lady would be scared of a white guy with tats driving a Harley. Again goes to the exception not the rule. That was a silly example.

 

On history again what African history do you want taught I asked. The history of the slave trade and its ties into our country is taught. I just don't get what they want taught. Again based on my experience most of history class was a combination of Social Studies and American History in grade school . High school consisted of American , world and government classes. Until you get into college and you can explore you are mostly taught the basics unless you are in AP classes.

 

So again what African History should be taught I'm not against it I asked a question. Are there specific countries that are igored that are important to be taught before college. There are plenty of countries ignored of all races because of lack influence or power through out history.

 

I don't know what African history should be taught. How would I know what I don't know? I can certainly tell you volumes about European history and geography, but very little about Africa. Understandably, that is now on me, as an adult I can learn about any topic that I choose.

I'm not buying these extreme take I'm 2014 . Sounds a lot like the White Privilege theory being pushed in college which I can't support.

 

White privilege isn't a theory. What you call white privilege being pushed, I call the truth being told. What would you prefer college professors to say? That white and black people were discriminated equally through out our nation's history, including today?

Edited by jrfrank56

Not saying the article isn't a good one or that it's incorrect. But, to play devil's advocate here, try telling those white families living in poverty in inner cities across the country or in the Appalachians about their white privilege. Count me as one that thinks the issue is more socioeconomic. This doesn't mean I don't think blacks have it easy or don't have greater obstacles to overcome, I do think those obstacles are decreasing for them, it's just that I don't see race as the issue so much as where you're born and the extremely uphill battle it takes to get out of it.

White privilege isn't a theory. What you call white privilege being pushed, I call the truth being told. What would you prefer college professors to say? That white and black people were discriminated equally through out our nation's history, including today?

 

White privilege is a sociology theory. There is a difference between saying blacks were discriminated in our nation's past and instead saying today's white youth should feel guilty for a privilege that exists today.

 

Your statement is talking about the past white privilige theory focuses on the present even more so than the past.

 

What I would like is for college proffesors to leave their obvious bias at the door and teach kids in a much more open honest fashion . It's ironic that proffesors who are some of the most bias people on the planer establish this shaming theory against their perceived bias in the present.

Is the author a college professor? How do you know that he is biased?

 

I hear about liberal college bias all of the time, but I just don't remember that being my experience in college at all.

People, please open your minds and pit yourself in the shoes of others. There is no doubt biases and inequalities. In life. Some are socioecnomic. Some are gender biases. Some are based upon race. Trying to say white privilege doesn't exist is disingenuous at best

White privilege is a sociology theory. There is a difference between saying blacks were discriminated in our nation's past and instead saying today's white youth should feel guilty for a privilege that exists today.

 

Your statement is talking about the past white privilige theory focuses on the present even more so than the past.

 

What I would like is for college proffesors to leave their obvious bias at the door and teach kids in a much more open honest fashion . It's ironic that proffesors who are some of the most bias people on the planer establish this shaming theory against their perceived bias in the present.

 

What? Not a theory. It's been pretty much proven to be true. Professors bring up the past to explain why things are the way they are. You think the moment that certain discriminations against black peoples stop, that it no longer had an effect on black people?

 

It is not shaming, it is explaining. Now, I didn't have your professors, so I can't speak for what they said. Mine on the other hand, were very thought provoking and never made any one in the classroom feel guilt or shamed them for being white. They wanted to show all sides of history, good and bad. One of the most shocking lessons I was taught was about the impacts of segregation and red lining.

 

My professor said this after the lesson , "So, next time you see black people in a poverty stricken area, don't think they are there because they are lazy and don't want to work, because if you think they want to live that way, you are sadly mistaken." That is not white guilt or shaming white students. So just because YOUR professors tried to guilt trip you, doesn't mean white privilege doesn't exist.

People, please open your minds and pit yourself in the shoes of others. There is no doubt biases and inequalities. In life. Some are socioecnomic. Some are gender biases. Some are based upon race. Trying to say white privilege doesn't exist is disingenuous at best

 

And I disagree I'm an educated person who can think for himself and think we try and simplify problems and vilify segments of populations to create separations instead of inclusive behavior.

 

I dislike when people tell me to open my mind because I disagree. My mind is always open I just don't agree with it.

What? Not a theory. It's been pretty much proven to be true. Professors bring up the past to explain why things are the way they are. You think the moment that certain discriminations against black peoples stop, that it no longer had an effect on black people?

 

It is not shaming, it is explaining. Now, I didn't have your professors, so I can't speak for what they said. Mine on the other hand, were very thought provoking and never made any one in the classroom feel guilt or shamed them for being white. They wanted to show all sides of history, good and bad. One of the most shocking lessons I was taught was about the impacts of segregation and red lining.

 

My professor said this after the lesson , "So, next time you see black people in a poverty stricken area, don't think they are there because they are lazy and don't want to work, because if you think they want to live that way, you are sadly mistaken." That is not white guilt or shaming white students. So just because YOUR professors tried to guilt trip you, doesn't mean white privilege doesn't exist.

 

White privlige ignores all other problems of all races . Socioeconomic factors are the root of almost all problems in the present .

 

If you want to say rich people have privilige over the middle class and poor people I can agree with that. But in a free society there will always be different classes of people. But a majority of white people are not rich and have dozens of their own struggles.

 

Socioeconomic or money or the color green impacts more than the colors of one skin.

 

And I disagree with the statement by your professor 1000% . Do some people have to work harder than others because of where they start in life , yes they do. But everyone has opportunity in life to advance some of us just start much lower on the ladder. But where you start in life is no excuse for you as an individual not to try and advance .

 

I grew up in a lower middle class neighborhood in Covington . I worked full time while going to college full time to get ahead in life. I had friends of a variety of races who most chose to blame where they started instead of working to get out and now they are a drain on society. So with all due respect your proffesor can take his simple world view some where else.

People, please open your minds and pit yourself in the shoes of others. There is no doubt biases and inequalities. In life. Some are socioecnomic. Some are gender biases. Some are based upon race. Trying to say white privilege doesn't exist is disingenuous at best
Depends on who you ask. Again, tell poor white people that have been that way for generations about their white privilege and see what their answer is. I think more is socioeconomic, not some. I see blacks raised in the same economic status as their white counterparts doing quite well. A lot depends on where you start and again, there are an awful lot of white people at the bottom too.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.