December 30, 201411 yr You don't have to continue. That is up to you. Broad generalizations are usually hard to support. Post #69 mentioned that it was "this dad's responsibility to teach his children about his heritage." I took that to mean the child's heritage. My apologies. I think I have supported what I have stated. You agree that you have no idea what is taught as far as any heritage in American schools.
January 8, 201511 yr Doesn't that support the point of discussion from the article? Your son will learn plenty of European history at school, but next to nothing of any African history. How much European history is taught in high school these days? And is that content primarily related to its impact on the founding of the US or on its impact on other significant events in US history? Been a long time since I was in high school, but I sure don't remember being taught anything about the history of Norway, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal etc., etc. Taught a very little about Germany only as it related to WWI and WWII because our involvement in those wars. Taught a little bit about England because of its impact on our founding fathers and our independence. Taught a little bit about France history, but again that related to the founding of our country and France's assistance. No disrespect, but I don't remember learning plenty of European history when I was in high school and what I was taught was in the context of its impact on US history. Obviously the history of African countries is significant as it relates to the issue of slavery in the US. So perhaps the history of Africa should be taught as part of the history of the US involving slavery. That history would reveal that slavery existed in Africa way before it existed in the US. Whites doing to blacks what blacks did to blacks certainly doesn't make it right, but some of the righteous indignation that some black leaders have against whites because whites owned black slaves in the US 150 years ago totally ignores the historical fact that blacks owned black slaves in Africa for 100s of years before whites owned black slaves in the US; blacks continued to own black slaves while whites owned black slaves in the US; and blacks continued to own black slaves after whites no longer owned black slaves in the US. Ironically, if the following linked article is correct, it was the European countries (the whites) conquest of African countries that ended slavery in Africa. See: Slavery in Africa. Plenty of other info out there involving black on black slavery in Africa but I decided to link this one because of the author's credentials.
January 8, 201511 yr How much European history is taught in high school these days? And is that content primarily related to its impact on the founding of the US or on its impact on other significant events in US history? Been a long time since I was in high school, but I sure don't remember being taught anything about the history of Norway, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal etc., etc. Taught a very little about Germany only as it related to WWI and WWII because our involvement in those wars. Taught a little bit about England because of its impact on our founding fathers and our independence. Taught a little bit about France history, but again that related to the founding of our country and France's assistance. No disrespect, but I don't remember learning plenty of European history when I was in high school and what I was taught was in the context of its impact on US history. Obviously the history of African countries is significant as it relates to the issue of slavery in the US. So perhaps the history of Africa should be taught as part of the history of the US involving slavery. That history would reveal that slavery existed in Africa way before it existed in the US. Whites doing to blacks what blacks did to blacks certainly doesn't make it right, but some of the righteous indignation that some black leaders have against whites because whites owned black slaves in the US 150 years ago totally ignores the historical fact that blacks owned black slaves in Africa for 100s of years before whites owned black slaves in the US; blacks continued to own black slaves while whites owned black slaves in the US; and blacks continued to own black slaves after whites no longer owned black slaves in the US. Ironically, if the following linked article is correct, it was the European countries (the whites) conquest of African countries that ended slavery in Africa. See: Slavery in Africa. Plenty of other info out there involving black on black slavery in Africa but I decided to link this one because of the author's credentials. Drops the mic
January 8, 201511 yr Author :lol2: :lol2: I love when white people use the "blacks did it too" logic in an effort to save face. :lol2: Hilarious.
January 8, 201511 yr :lol2: :lol2: I love when white people use the "blacks did it too" logic in an effort to save face. :lol2: Hilarious. It may be funny to you and if you read my post carefully you noticed that I specifically said the fact that blacks enslaved other blacks doesn't make slavery of blacks by whites acceptable. I have no reason to need to save face by the way. I never enslaved anyone. I feel no more guilt for the fact that whites enslaved blacks 150 years ago than you probably do for the fact that blacks enslaved blacks less than 150 years ago. Word.
January 8, 201511 yr Author It may be funny to you and if you read my post carefully you noticed that I specifically said the fact that blacks enslaved other blacks doesn't make slavery of blacks by whites acceptable. I have no reason to need to save face by the way. I never enslaved anyone. I feel no more guilt for the fact that whites enslaved blacks 150 years ago than you probably do for the fact that blacks enslaved blacks less than 150 years ago. Word. Whatever you need to tell yourself. :lol2: :thumb:
January 8, 201511 yr Whatever you need to tell yourself. :lol2: :thumb: And ditto back at you my friend.
January 8, 201511 yr :lol2: :lol2: I love when white people use the "blacks did it too" logic in an effort to save face. :lol2: Hilarious. It does not excuse the history of the white's that owned slaves. In your opinion, does it excuse the blacks that owned other blacks as slaves? I'm curious as to your opinion due to the fact that my children's native tribe were one of the slave tribes of Ethiopia.
January 8, 201511 yr Author It does not excuse the history of the white's that owned slaves. In your opinion, does it excuse the blacks that owned other blacks as slaves? I'm curious as to your opinion due to the fact that my children's native tribe were one of the slave tribes of Ethiopia. Nope. It's asinine to even think that. Come on now. I'm well aware of the history of Africa as the schools of excellence that I attended all made sure to teach us that Africans enslaved Africans and the whole history of slavery. There's not a whole lot of things more disturbing to learn that African kings sold their own people to Europeans out of greed. I just think it's funny how his version of African history has the Europeans swooping in and saving the Africans from themselves. I'm sure that's exactly how it went and I'm sure that's exactly why the Europeans swooped in to save the day in Africa. :lol2:
January 9, 201511 yr Nope. It's asinine to even think that. Come on now. I'm well aware of the history of Africa as the schools of excellence that I attended all made sure to teach us that Africans enslaved Africans and the whole history of slavery. There's not a whole lot of things more disturbing to learn that African kings sold their own people to Europeans out of greed. I just think it's funny how his version of African history has the Europeans swooping in and saving the Africans from themselves. I'm sure that's exactly how it went and I'm sure that's exactly why the Europeans swooped in to save the day in Africa. :lol2: Mighty Mouse was European!
January 9, 201511 yr Nope. It's asinine to even think that. Come on now. I'm well aware of the history of Africa as the schools of excellence that I attended all made sure to teach us that Africans enslaved Africans and the whole history of slavery. There's not a whole lot of things more disturbing to learn that African kings sold their own people to Europeans out of greed. I just think it's funny how his version of African history has the Europeans swooping in and saving the Africans from themselves. I'm sure that's exactly how it went and I'm sure that's exactly why the Europeans swooped in to save the day in Africa. :lol2: Euphemism for colonization perhaps? :sssh:
January 9, 201511 yr Euphemism for colonization perhaps? :sssh: According to the author of the article I linked, that was the case. Nonetheless, it did result in slavery being abolished (legally).
January 10, 201511 yr According to the author of the article I linked, that was the case. Nonetheless, it did result in slavery being abolished (legally). Not gonna argue that, but I would assume you are not the type of man to think the Europeans meant well and only went to Africa to help them and abolish slavery over there.
January 12, 201511 yr Not gonna argue that, but I would assume you are not the type of man to think the Europeans meant well and only went to Africa to help them and abolish slavery over there. Your assumption would be totally correct.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.