Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

7 Things I Can Do My Black Son Can't Do

Featured Replies

Did you ready the article? I thought that #7 was pretty clear.

 

What is taught in school about African history?

 

Again, with #4, did you read the article?

 

As far as African history. It is not really taught in most African countries. I know this to be true from my children. When we were in Ethiopia we took a few sight seeing trips with them to different historical sites. After we brought them home, I was talking with my oldest and asked her what she had learned in school about Haile Selassie. She asked me who I was talking about. I had to explain to her who he was and how he was important to the Ethiopian people. She then got on Google and read quite a bit.

  • Replies 89
  • Views 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What you just posted is a clear example of white privilege. It doesn't ignore other problems. It shows that a lot of people are in the situation they are are in because OTHERS put them there. Also, false on the claim that anyone can climb out out of poverty if they work hard. Did poor white people get denied a loan because they were white? Did poor white people get denied a place to live because they were white. Did white people in general get denied anything because of the color of their skin by black people. You simply act that it is no big deal that some people have a big head start over others in life. You say you lived a lower middle class neighborhood, there are black people living in very poor situations and the burden can be to great. So, to act as if because YOU didn't grow up the greatest situation, black people can achieve the same you did is silly. So in all due respect, you can take your silly world view and take them somewhere else.

 

Again you keep recycling the same non sense I hear from every psuedo intellectual sociology proffesor. We aren't talking about decades ago. We are talking about today . If you want me to say white people held black people back decades ago , obviously I agree. But when all your examples happened when I wasn't alive again it goes back to the fact that white privilige wants me to believe it exists in some large fashion today. All facts point to that just is not true.

 

Keep spewing this white privilege non sense and trying to create divide and again it will do nothing to unite.

Is the author a college professor? How do you know that he is biased?

 

I hear about liberal college bias all of the time, but I just don't remember that being my experience in college at all.

 

It was pretty clear in my experience, your background was science where there is less bias than in the humanities.

#3 has me confused. Does he mean the history of Africa? If so, I know very little about my heritage based on history class. Or, does he mean African-American history?

 

For the record, I don't think Black History Month is African-American history. More civil rights month. JMO

I didn't grow up privileged, in the sense that we were even middle class. I got divorced and was jobless and homeless for a while. I was able to pull it all together eventually, by getting bettebetter and better jobs. I never walked into an interview wondering if I would be considered, never worried I might not get the job because I was white. Heck, I may have gotten jobs over more qualified individuals because I was white. I don't know, because I never saw any of my competitors. But a good friend of mine has been passed over several times for positions of advancement, including one I actually interviewed her for. HR forced me to promote someone who had less experience, less loyalty and fewer of the skills needed for the position. There was no reason for HR to override my decision, except that they disn't want a black woman to be the "face" of the organization

I absolutely know white privilege is a fact.

As far as African history. It is not really taught in most African countries. I know this to be true from my children. When we were in Ethiopia we took a few sight seeing trips with them to different historical sites. After we brought them home, I was talking with my oldest and asked her what she had learned in school about Haile Selassie. She asked me who I was talking about. I had to explain to her who he was and how he was important to the Ethiopian people. She then got on Google and read quite a bit.

 

I'm not sure of your point.

It was pretty clear in my experience, your background was science where there is less bias than in the humanities.

 

True, but my minor was history and I also had to complete 36 hours of credit in education. Even in my class that was titled something like "Multicultural Education," I didn't 'learn' about White Privilege theory or anything of the like.

  • Author

If there was no such thing as White Privilege than Affirmative Action would have never been needed. The Rooney Rule would have never been needed. The United Negro College Fund would have never been needed. Historical Black Colleges and Universities would have never been needed.

 

To act as though what happened in the 1960s doesn't have an effect on society today is short-sighted.

Again you keep recycling the same non sense I hear from every psuedo intellectual sociology proffesor. We aren't talking about decades ago. We are talking about today . If you want me to say white people held black people back decades ago , obviously I agree. But when all your examples happened when I wasn't alive again it goes back to the fact that white privilige wants me to believe it exists in some large fashion today. All facts point to that just is not true.

 

Keep spewing this white privilege non sense and trying to create divide and again it will do nothing to unite.

 

The only thing dividing is white people acting as if white privilege never existed or that racial discrimination doesn't play as a significant factor in affecting people's lives. Racial discrimination does play a part and to ignore it is nonsense in itself. You keep saying "today" as if that totally excludes what has happened in the past. The past has a hand on the present and future. White privilege does exist in in large fashion today, look at how segregated many of our cities are today. Red lining and Jim Crow had a hand in that. But, I guess that is me shaming white people.

  • Author
Again you keep recycling the same non sense I hear from every psuedo intellectual sociology proffesor. We aren't talking about decades ago. We are talking about today . If you want me to say white people held black people back decades ago , obviously I agree. But when all your examples happened when I wasn't alive again it goes back to the fact that white privilige wants me to believe it exists in some large fashion today. All facts point to that just is not true.

Keep spewing this white privilege non sense and trying to create divide and again it will do nothing to unite.

 

 

In order to advance the discussion both sides have to recognize things from themselves that have been detrimental. I've readily admitted many many things that could qualify as failings from our side when it comes to advancing the discussion. Until that is reciprocated the discussion will never advance. That is what Chris Rock means when he says "it is 100% on Ike."

"you do know some things happen and hold some people back because they are white don't you? The same as you say black people are held back because they are black. It does happen both ways which is sad, and it happens when the decision maker or person of authority is black or white."

 

False, please show a policy that a black person put in to discriminate against white people.

Edited by jrfrank56

You are wrong. It's thinking that something that happened over 200 years ago as an excuse to why someone isn't successful today

 

 

Now as far as the welfare remark, isnt it quite ironic that a black president has put more people on welfare than ever before in history?

 

No, discrimination for black people didn't stop at slavery. History definitely shows that it didn't stop there. It doesn't give you an excuse which you are insinuating, it shows that racial discrimination plays a big hand in why things are the way they are and how it has affected the black community. Some people have larger obstacles put in their way of becoming successful and to act as if some of these obstacles don't make it very difficult for people and their family to overcome is silly.

Back to the original post, that is an interesting list of 7 things.

In order to advance the discussion both sides have to recognize things from themselves that have been detrimental. I've readily admitted many many things that could qualify as failings from our side when it comes to advancing the discussion. Until that is reciprocated the discussion will never advance. That is what Chris Rock means when he says "it is 100% on Ike."

 

I fully admitted in one of my earlier posts if we want to discuss past problems white people caused I obviously recognize. I can't get on board that there is white privilige in today's world holding anyone back. If we focus on the past problems we can't move forward .

 

At some point we have to get passed the past to move forward. We are either at the point or almost to the point where most living Americans didn't live during the Civil rights Era. We can't keep creating scape goats for generations to fail. We should be looking for solutions for people to succeed. Negativity breeds failure .

  • Author
I fully admitted in one of my earlier posts if we want to discuss past problems white people caused I obviously recognize. I can't get on board that there is white privilige in today's world holding anyone back. If we focus on the past problems we can't move forward .

 

At some point we have to get passed the past to move forward. We are either at the point or almost to the point where most living Americans didn't live during the Civil rights Era. We can't keep creating scape goats for generations to fail. We should be looking for solutions for people to succeed. Negativity breeds failure .

 

I've admitted in other threads that White Privilege in 2014 isn't the same as it was in 2004, 1994 and 1984. It is still here in 2014 but not like it was a decade or two ago. In that aspect things are definitely moving in the right direction.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.