Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Walt Allen

Featured Replies

Let me begin to say that I do not know Walt Allen. Being an Owensboro resident and Apollo fan, I have never up to this year seen Walt Allen play. Outside of the many post I see on BGP about him and of course the big games he had in the 2005 state championship run, I had no reason to really think about him. I must say that what I witnessed after the loss to Graves Co, was something that I will be reminded of whenever I do hear his name. After the loss, he gathered his entire team AND Graves Co. players, coaches,trainers etc in a circle and in a nutshell told them what is really important in life. He had the attention of everyone in that circle. He did not preach per say, but was just matter of fact about the need for a higher power and ,with that, no one will lose in the bigger game of life. To the South Laurel fans, it must have been great to have been associated with someone that at, what could have been, a dark moment in this young man's life he shined as bright as the sun. Congrats to South L for a fine season and Mr. Allen "thanks" for the memory.

:D :thumb: :D

Hats Off to Walt for doing this. Just cant put in words how much I respect Walt for this now not just as a player but as a person. That shows that he has really grown up and realizes something that lot of people hasn't yet and something that will ruin many lifes off the floor. "There is more to life than Basketball.":D And looks like hes pointed in the right direction.

He does it everygame. He is a great kid. His play wasn't there this week, but he still put God first. This kid really has his priorites straight.

Let me begin to say that I do not know Walt Allen. Being an Owensboro resident and Apollo fan, I have never up to this year seen Walt Allen play. Outside of the many post I see on BGP about him and of course the big games he had in the 2005 state championship run, I had no reason to really think about him. I must say that what I witnessed after the loss to Graves Co, was something that I will be reminded of whenever I do hear his name. After the loss, he gathered his entire team AND Graves Co. players, coaches,trainers etc in a circle and in a nutshell told them what is really important in life. He had the attention of everyone in that circle. He did not preach per say, but was just matter of fact about the need for a higher power and ,with that, no one will lose in the bigger game of life. To the South Laurel fans, it must have been great to have been associated with someone that at, what could have been, a dark moment in this young man's life he shined as bright as the sun. Congrats to South L for a fine season and Mr. Allen "thanks" for the memory.

 

You got to see what makes Walt so special. Yes I know he was the MVP from last year's title run. And I know he has been a Mr Baskeball candidate this season. But what really makes him special is the kind of young man he really is. Win or lose, he does the same thing. Don't get me wrong, he wants to win, but he absolutely has his priorities in order and that is what makes him so special. During the South vs North games this season, I watched he and Shawn Asher from North beat and bang on each other for the entire game. Immediately when the horn sounded, Walt found Shawn and they embraced each other. Just a special young man all the way around. Glad to see others see how lucky we are in Laurel County to call this young man our own! :thumb:

I caught the recap of this game on the news and it was wonderful to see a kid with such understanding and leadership. He definately has his priorities in the right place and could teach a lot of old folks what life should be all about. :thumb:

Walt Allen had a great career at South Laurel. State Championship & State MVP! You can not ask for more!

Let me begin to say that I do not know Walt Allen. Being an Owensboro resident and Apollo fan, I have never up to this year seen Walt Allen play. Outside of the many post I see on BGP about him and of course the big games he had in the 2005 state championship run, I had no reason to really think about him. I must say that what I witnessed after the loss to Graves Co, was something that I will be reminded of whenever I do hear his name. After the loss, he gathered his entire team AND Graves Co. players, coaches,trainers etc in a circle and in a nutshell told them what is really important in life. He had the attention of everyone in that circle. He did not preach per say, but was just matter of fact about the need for a higher power and ,with that, no one will lose in the bigger game of life. To the South Laurel fans, it must have been great to have been associated with someone that at, what could have been, a dark moment in this young man's life he shined as bright as the sun. Congrats to South L for a fine season and Mr. Allen "thanks" for the memory.

 

:thumb:

 

As gracious in losing as he is in winning. That is the true definition of a sportsman.

Walt is definately 100% class all the way. He is not only the epitome of a coaches dream, he is the epitome of what we all should strive to be as people.

 

Off subject

 

ukbellco14, Were you down in Clearwater last week? I thought I saw you when we were eating breakfast at IHOP one morning.

Super, super kid who's been a joy to watch the past few years. I'm going to miss him.

Young man is a class act all the way. :thumb:

Young man is a class act all the way. :thumb:

I concur:thumb:

I posted this in another thread about who should get Mr. Basketball. This thread seems like a better place to post this, so I just cliped and pasted it.

 

My vote goes to Walt Allen. In My Opinion Walt Allen is what Kentucky High School Basketball is about. He is the definition of a true competitor. I have never met Walt but over the past 2 years I have grown a great appreciation for him. What he does after basketball games, when he brings the two teams together is the most sportsman like think I've ever seen. On the court he is respected and respectable. After the Finals tonight, he recieved a award and it was well deserved. After he accepted the award he walked over to the J-Town bench and shook hands and gave hugs to every player from J-Town. He deserves the award and Kentucky should be honored to give it to such a fine young man like Walt. Either way, Congratulations to Walt Allen on such a successful career at South Laurel. From the NKY fans, we salute you.

Walt is a first class kinda kid. He is the best diplomat to come out of this area in several seasons....:thumb:

It is great that Walt uses his abilities and the time he gets to spend with other people the way that we should all do. It doesnt get much better than Walt, especially at his age. This kid will do great wherever he ends up.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.