Any Sturgill Simpson Fans?

• 2 years later...
Never heard of him and after seeing it looks like he is country, I probably will never know who he is.

He is nothing like what most people consider "country" music today. There is a reason you never hear him on the radio.

What he did last night was epic. I watched the whole thing on Facebook. Why pay big money to watch Luke Bryan perform on stage inside, when at the exact same time you could be out on the sidewalk listening to Sturgill for free.

I'll probably always watch the CMA's but outside of Miranda, Stapleton, Bros Osborne and Alan Jackson's set to close the show, there was very little else that I would consider country. The tribute to Troy Gentry was really good, and I also enjoyed Carrie Underwood's gospel song. No doubt that she really sing. I thought that Little Big Town did a great job covering "Wichita Lineman". They are such talented singers, too bad they haven't made an authentic country album. I like some of their songs but they are pop.

On a positive note, Sam Hunt and FGL didn't win any awards, so that night wasn't all bad.

I’ve liked Sturgill Simpson from the first time I saw him on David Letterman.

I agree that he’s not country, but most of the new stuff these days is not what I would have considered country from back in the day. These awards shows have a lot of non-country music nowadays.

I’ve liked Sturgill Simpson from the first time I saw him on David Letterman.

I agree that he’s not country, but most of the new stuff these days is not what I would have considered country from back in the day. These awards shows have a lot of non-country music nowadays.

Ain't that the truth.