Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Woman bitten by Boone County K-9

Featured Replies

Officer should have had control of his dog. Never pet a police K-9' date=' unless told to. BCSO is going to pay out some $$$, IMO.[/quote']

 

Why would you be told to pet a K-9?

  • Replies 80
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would you be told to pet a K-9?

 

Some are social and do things at elementary schools, churches, explorers, etc.

Why would you be told to pet a K-9?

 

Some are social and do things at elementary schools, churches, explorers, etc.

This^

 

Our Sheriff's Dept has a Black Lab that was a Bomb Dog in the Army. He'll, if given to his own devices, lick you to death. Unless he see's a ball...then it's all about the ball. He is great with Kids and the Public.

 

Had Yellow Lab that was a Drug dog and he was pretty much the same way.

 

Dept has a couple of tracking/biting dogs that are hands off unless they know you VERY well!

I was a K-9 handler and I also work with and am friends with the officer. With that said I garuntee you he is taking 100% of the blame and he is a stand up guy.

 

What I have heard happened is when he pulled into tire discounters, while the woman was checking the tire pressure the dog kept barking, he then got the dog out of the cruiser so he'd stop barking and as he was walking around to the other side of the vehicle with the dog the woman walked behind him to the other side of the cruiser, he having his back to the woman apparently didn't see her behind him but the dog is trained to attack when their handler is being attacked and I would gather that when the dog saw her walking up from behind the officer did what he is trained to do and he attacked. Now, that is no excuse at all, as I said Deputy Tanner I am sure has taken full responsibility for what occured, he is that kind of person. He knows as a K-9 handler that he must keep control of the dog at all times especially around civilians etc. He apparently didn't have the dog on a short lead and had too much slack in the lead.

 

I feel bad for the woman and thankfully it wasn't worse than it was.

I was a K-9 handler and I also work with and am friends with the officer. With that said I garuntee you he is taking 100% of the blame and he is a stand up guy.

 

What I have heard happened is when he pulled into tire discounters, while the woman was checking the tire pressure the dog kept barking, he then got the dog out of the cruiser so he'd stop barking and as he was walking around to the other side of the vehicle with the dog the woman walked behind him to the other side of the cruiser, he having his back to the woman apparently didn't see her behind him but the dog is trained to attack when their handler is being attacked and I would gather that when the dog saw her walking up from behind the officer did what he is trained to do and he attacked. Now, that is no excuse at all, as I said Deputy Tanner I am sure has taken full responsibility for what occured, he is that kind of person. He knows as a K-9 handler that he must keep control of the dog at all times especially around civilians etc. He apparently didn't have the dog on a short lead and had too much slack in the lead.

 

I feel bad for the woman and thankfully it wasn't worse than it was.

 

 

Well put. You can't blame the woman unless she was way up in the dog's space, as I'd assume that it's reasonable to think that a police officer is able to command a "duty" K9 when it's firmly in his control.

 

Like you said, just glad that it wasn't worse. If what you've said about the guy is true and he's taking full responsibility and not trying to deflect things unnecessarily, then I hope it doesn't reflect poorly on him if it's something that he's genuinely remorseful for. At the same time, this is just one of those things that you can't have happening. Accidents do occur, but still.

 

I do think this brings up an interesting topic for debate about service dogs, which I have mixed feelings on. On one hand, I'm a dog lover who sees the functionality of them in scent detection, etc., but the empirical side of me really wonders about their accuracy in detection, especially given some evidence that they can be influenced by their handlers' expectations, not being kept current on training, etc.

Well put. You can't blame the woman unless she was way up in the dog's space, as I'd assume that it's reasonable to think that a police officer is able to command a "duty" K9 when it's firmly in his control.

 

Like you said, just glad that it wasn't worse. If what you've said about the guy is true and he's taking full responsibility and not trying to deflect things unnecessarily, then I hope it doesn't reflect poorly on him if it's something that he's genuinely remorseful for. At the same time, this is just one of those things that you can't have happening. Accidents do occur, but still.

 

I do think this brings up an interesting topic for debate about service dogs, which I have mixed feelings on. On one hand, I'm a dog lover who sees the functionality of them in scent detection, etc., but the empirical side of me really wonders about their accuracy in detection, especially given some evidence that they can be influenced by their handlers' expectations, not being kept current on training, etc.

Biggest issue I've seen is something you pointed out...training. Too many departments spend the money on the front side for a K-9, but don't allow time off of patrol for ongoing training between handler and K-9. This is a bigger issue for smaller departments I'm sure.

Well put. You can't blame the woman unless she was way up in the dog's space, as I'd assume that it's reasonable to think that a police officer is able to command a "duty" K9 when it's firmly in his control.

 

Like you said, just glad that it wasn't worse. If what you've said about the guy is true and he's taking full responsibility and not trying to deflect things unnecessarily, then I hope it doesn't reflect poorly on him if it's something that he's genuinely remorseful for. At the same time, this is just one of those things that you can't have happening. Accidents do occur, but still.

 

I do think this brings up an interesting topic for debate about service dogs, which I have mixed feelings on. On one hand, I'm a dog lover who sees the functionality of them in scent detection, etc., but the empirical side of me really wonders about their accuracy in detection, especially given some evidence that they can be influenced by their handlers' expectations, not being kept current on training, etc.

 

Probably a good topic for another thread, but in addition to training and detection accuracy which can have a number of variables, there are questions regarding constitutionality as a dog may detect a scent which gives rise to probable cause, then a search which otherwise may not have been conducted arises because of the dog's ability.

 

Probably a good topic for another thread, but in addition to training and detection accuracy which can have a number of variables, there are questions regarding constitutionality as a dog may detect a scent which gives rise to probable cause, then a search which otherwise may not have been conducted arises because of the dog's ability.

 

My argument about that is that the dog can detect drugs sometimes when drugs were recently there and have been moved. So once they alert and nothing is found, they look wrong but really they're not.

 

Obviously sometimes the dog will be wrong, I'm not saying they're perfect.

My argument about that is that the dog can detect drugs sometimes when drugs were recently there and have been moved. So once they alert and nothing is found, they look wrong but really they're not.

 

Obviously sometimes the dog will be wrong, I'm not saying they're perfect.

Great Point!

From what Hellbird posted sounds like a failure on the Deputy's part and a real stupid move by the woman but then again how was she to know that.

 

Police K9 dogs are supposed to be trained to only "attack" when given orders but approaching from behind/aggressive movements are exceptions to the rule for the dog if you will.

 

Put it this way, Police K9 dogs "should" be normal dogs like any other dogs unless the master tells the dog it is time to work. Some handlers/dogs weren't trained that way, they were trained to be a beast at all costs and any righteous K9 handler will tell you that is old school and the wrong way to train the dog. In other words, the dog will attack ANYONE if given a chance.

 

I have run tracks and taken bites from many police dogs, man can they bring it. They are trained how to bite and even with the sleeve on it can be painful. I also did some training with dogs where everything is silent and I attacked/pushed the K9 handler and the dog instantly attacked me. It sounds like this is what happened, the dog felt his master was threatened and immediately reacted.

 

I am glad the injury was minor, it could have been much much worse.

  • Author

If you get a third of your ear bit off it sounds pretty serious she was rushed to UC hospital. I would say the lady is probably traumatized also.

If you get a third of your ear bit off it sounds pretty serious she was rushed to UC hospital. I would say the lady is probably traumatized also.

 

It's just a flesh wound.

  • Author
It's just a flesh wound.

 

Read the link you posted it has been updated!

  • Author
It's just a flesh wound.

 

 

Being attacked by a big dog is pretty scary.

It's just a flesh wound.

 

Being attacked by a big dog is pretty scary.

 

I'm not positive but lawildcat may have been making a Monty Python reference?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.