Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

All-Time Reds Team

Featured Replies

Since it's now officially the offseason and free agency will be slow for a little bit, I thought I would start this thread.

 

When I was an intern with the Reds Hall of Fame, a couple of us would go over this with the Reds and other teams and talk about lineups, bench, pitching staffs, etc. and put the Reds against other all-time teams in a 7 game series. Always had fun doing it and debating.

 

Only criteria would be that they played the majority of their career with the team or had their best years there. So, Griffey Jr. is a Mariner, Seaver a Met, while Frank Robinson a Red. We also played with a DH to make it more fun.

 

With that being said, if I was constructing a team for a 7 game series, here is what I got:

 

1. Rose RF

2. Davis CF

3. Morgan 2B

4. Robinson 1B

5. Bench C

6. Lee May DH

7. Perez 3B

8. Foster LF

9. Larkin SS

 

Bench would be:

1. Concepcion

2. Lombardi

3. Pinson

4. Kluszewski

5. Hamilton (Pinch run and defense)

6. Votto

 

Starting Pitchers

1. Maloney - in his prime, best pitcher in Reds history IMO. Gas.

2. Rijo

3. Vander Meer

4. Cueto

 

Pen

1. Charlton

2. Myers

3. Dibble

4. O'Toole

5. Eastwick

6. Chapman

 

I think the Reds All-Time team would be top 3 in baseball.

 

What do you guys think? Who would you add, take off, sit, start?

I honestly like your list but there is no way ED would bat in the 2 hole, he struck out too much. I'd also not include Hamilton on the bench and would replace him with either Phillips or Dunn, probably Phillips.

  • Author
No Jr?

 

He played 13 in Seattle, so we always consider him a M.

 

2 Humped Camel, your right, I honestly didn't really think about the K's, but more the SB's and pop. With the way Rose gets on, I'd probably move Larkin up there or put Morgan there and move everyone up. I thought about Phillips and other guys had him on their list. I just couldn't imagine a situation where I'm playing him over Morgan and where he is hitting above the other guys I have on the bench.

Robinson Barely played first (300 or so games), only started as First baseman for one full season with the Reds in 1959.

 

Perez will always be a 1B to me.

3B Pete Rose

2B Joe Morgan

RF Frank Robinson

1B Tony Perez

LF George Foster

CF Eric Davis

SS Barry Larkin

C Johnny Bench

 

Starters

Maloney

Soto

Rijo

Cueto

Gullett

Bullpen

Charlton

Myers

Dibble

Graves

Carroll

Chapman

Agree on Gullett as a starter and in a 7 game series might also have to include Jack Billingham ....but not sure who I would take off. Maybe Graves and go with just a 5 man bullpen.

My Bull Pen would be Bad Boys one night then Graves, Carroll and Chapman the next!

  • Author
Robinson Barely played first (300 or so games), only started as First baseman for one full season with the Reds in 1959.

 

Perez will always be a 1B to me.

 

Definitely would switch that in mine now that I think of it. I would do what you did there, easy fix and better defensive lineup for sure. With the great history of first basemen, I'd always try and put Perez at 3rd since he played there early on to open a spot for a guy like May.

My Bull Pen would be Bad Boys one night then Graves, Carroll and Chapman the next!

 

I would hope you are only reserving Graves for mop-up duty. No way he should be considered in this discussion of all-time Reds greats unless you have some leads you'd like to see blown.

 

I would hope you are only reserving Graves for mop-up duty. No way he should be considered in this discussion of all-time Reds greats unless you have some leads you'd like to see blown.

 

Seems like he held onto a few leads...he did get a couple of saves here and there.

Seems like he held onto a few leads...he did get a couple of saves here and there.

 

Best in the world with a 3-run lead. Anything less than that, ehhhh …

Best in the world with a 3-run lead. Anything less than that, ehhhh …

 

Converted 182 of 220 Save Opportunities.

 

He does have 43 losses and a 3.94 ERA so I get what your saying. In his Best Save Season he had a 3.95 ERA.

Johnny Franco over Graves...unless you think of Franco more as a Met...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.