Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

KHSAA's New 6 Quarter Rule

Featured Replies

Tracking and reporting are going to be the big issue. You could have teams self report, but there just isn't the manpower or network of people to review all games at all levels to ensure compliance. I guess if you played at team at all three levels in the same week, you'd have a chance at knowing if someone broke the rule. But I'd imagine that this only happens occasionally. With 8 quarters, most smaller school shouldn't have any issues few have all three levels of football and only play a JV and Varsity schedule and only play 8 quarters of football a week. Most bigger school's will have enough numbers, that very few freshman if any will be needed to play in varsity games, so you'll have a few freshman play freshman/JV and a few sophomores/juniors play JV/varsity. Medium sized schools would be the ones most likely to be in danger of violating the rules with only 18-20 kids per level. Regardless, I'd be shocked if you ever hear about anyone violating this rule...it's too hard to track.

  • Replies 66
  • Views 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you make all JV and Freshman games 6 minutes Quarters, you won't have a problem

I haven't read this entire thread but I would like to interject this thought; if you only have x number of players, you'll have fewer substitutions therefore 1's playing longer into games that are blowouts, making them bigger blowouts. Or you'll be seeing less freshman and JV games which isn't fair to those players. I know this is all in the name of safety but I will say, football and contact have been around a long time and I think we are being too cautious about this issue. As always, we overreact to an issue.

How many 1A, 2A have Freshman teams? I don't really think this is a big deal as people are making it out to be

8 quarters is completely fine. 6 quarters would be rough on any school AAA or under who isn't Mayfield.

 

I've seen teams who have 15-20 varsity players basically play their whole team for JV, just to get the extra experience. I've also seen plenty of teams who will bring out a varsity squad just in an attempt to win the game.

 

Limiting quarters is fine, but would be far too difficult to enforce for smaller schools if it was under 8. You'd have way more games where they kept the starters in during a running clock, just to be able to play JV on Monday. (And I've always been around Monday JV games, and I don't know of a single instance when kids are getting back at some ungodly hour. Seen plenty of times when they are finished with their game before varsity practice is done. Can't think of a single school that doesn't have a JV schedule under an hour from them.)

 

I don't like that 1 play in a quarter, equals a quarter. I mean, if you just have a space filler on kickoff, and he's essentially the safety/last man to beat, he's probably doing very little and probably won't even be touched really.

 

KHSAA did the right thing in expanding it to 8 quarters, although I'm unsure how many kids this will actually impact. If a kid is so talented, that he's playing varsity, he's probably not playing frosh or JV very much. And if a school is so small that everyone plays JV, they aren't playing frosh games. It's a rule that looks good, and does have the interest of the athlete at heart, but I doubt many Frosh/JV/Varsity rosters will have to change to accommodate 8 quarters of play.

 

I know Trinity has a couple of Cincinnati teams on their JV schedule, but both of those games are Saturday morning so travel time is less critical.

This may have already been addressed, but who will be keeping track of quarters played? Is it an honor system?

Yall are just now doing this? Georgia has had this for years. Thankfully, they changed it a few years ago so that it starts on Friday night and ends Thursday night so that if you miscount the number of quarters a kid plays you only forfeit the 9th/JV game instead of a varsity game.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.