Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2nd Nurse with Ebola

Featured Replies

I guess that I could've posted this to the already existing Ebola thread, but this his huge. This nurse flew on a plane with a temperature. She's now been to Cleveland, and that plane has been to Florida and Atlanta. Looks like the game of Ebola Hopscotch is on. Just wonderful...

 

CDC Chief Says 2nd Nurse With Ebola Should Not Have Flown - WSJ - WSJ

 

If that link acts goofy this one might work...

 

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/10/15/family-identifies-2nd-health-care-worker-infected-with-ebola/

 

or

 

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/15/ebola-second-texas-nurse-transferred-atlanta

 

or

 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/health/texas-ebola-outbreak/index.html

 

or

 

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/nurse-infected-ebola-jetliner-diagnosis/story?id=26206090

  • Replies 34
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

Honestly, how could they let any health care worker that was around this guy travel?

Honestly, how could they let any health care worker that was around this guy travel?

 

No restrictions in place. No plan in place. Risk is supposed to be very, very low.

I was a nurse before AIDS. I remember how the entire world, including me, freaked out about it. I remember total isolations precautions and AIDS signs literally put on patients doors. That experience taught me to never over react again.

 

However, I am disturbed by two nurses turning positive so quickly. I am not buying the "breach of protocol" claim. We are all taught universal precautions, and I cannot imagine any health care employee not following protocol to the letter in this situation. I hate to say it, but something isn't right here.

  • Author

Everything I keep hearing on the news is that this nurse flew from Cleveland to Dallas, but didn't she initially fly from Dallas to Cleveland?

 

Not sure why they keep emphasizing that one flight when I'm guessing that she actually was on two flights when all said and done, and then because the airlines didn't realize anything at the time, those same planes were routinely cleaned like normal and continued to provide service to other cities.

 

Seems to me there's more people to be concerned about related to all those flights and folks in airports who came in contact with her, and so on and so on.

  • Author
I was a nurse before AIDS. I remember how the entire world, including me, freaked out about it. I remember total isolations precautions and AIDS signs literally put on patients doors. That experience taught me to never over react again.

 

However, I am disturbed by two nurses turning positive so quickly. I am not buying the "breach of protocol" claim. We are all taught universal precautions, and I cannot imagine any health care employee not following protocol to the letter in this situation. I hate to say it, but something isn't right here.

 

Back in 1985 I was admitted to the hospital for Mono with a 105 temperature, but the doctors were scratching their heads a bit because I also broke out in hives requiring a visit from a disease specialist (the hives were because the first doctor who saw me didn't do a throat culture when I went to him when first losing my voice and put me on Penicillin, which because of I'm now forever allergic to Penicillin, and another doctor blew up and said that he should never have done that), and my sister a nurse thought since they were still confused that perhaps I should inform them that I was gay.

 

After that I had a significantly less amount of nurses tend to me, and my room was quarantined and whereas I was in a double room they instantly removed the other patient where I was now by myself. They instantly also placed special hazardous waste containers everywhere that originally were not there.

 

My other more emotional sister freaked and made complaints that the hospital was discriminating against me, but I told her to let it go and not to make a scene.

 

I guess that can understand considering the lack of knowledge back then, and I too was concerned because of all the doctors being confused. I was scared for sure. Thankfully I did not have HIV and thankfully I never have.

 

What you mentioned here gave me a flashback of that.

 

Sad thing about Ebola though is that it's much easier to pass it along.

Does that stop the exponential exposure?

 

 

Nope because she's stupid and the CDC is being careless.

I was a nurse before AIDS. I remember how the entire world, including me, freaked out about it. I remember total isolations precautions and AIDS signs literally put on patients doors. That experience taught me to never over react again.

 

However, I am disturbed by two nurses turning positive so quickly. I am not buying the "breach of protocol" claim. We are all taught universal precautions, and I cannot imagine any health care employee not following protocol to the letter in this situation. I hate to say it, but something isn't right here.

 

Hindsight is 20/20...its only over reaction aftet the fact now that we know more about the diease. Take it the other way...what if no precautions had been taken ands it found that aids was very easily passed from those infected? Luckily that wasnt the case.

  • Author

When news of this first broke about Africa it sounded creepy, but it just didn't concern me so much that I had any personal fear about it as this was "Way over there".

 

It's now really starting to freak me out how quickly it doesn't seem to be "Way over there" anymore, and now has me wondering how quickly will it be "JUST AROUND THE CORNER?".

 

This nurse flying with a fever could've EASILY BEEN AVOIDED, and it's not as if this disease hasn't already been in the news EVERYDAY since it first broke.

 

Why on earth with the CDC being interviewed daily about what protocols are in place, and what is being done to prevent the spread, would they have not already had a plan in place to prevent travel by health care workers involved with treating sick patients with this deadly disease?

 

Was anyone in charge thinking ahead at all, and if not, doesn't it stand to reason that they certainly better start getting their brains in order now?

 

Sad thing is now it might be too freakin' late, and something so simple as the plan to prevent travel could've easily been in place.

 

The nation now can't sit around and hope that our houses won't burn, and take a wait and see approach to this.

 

As complex as it might sound, the entire international community might have to go to the extreme of staying home and not traveling while the economy tanks because of our reliance on the money flow of the airline industry.

 

Each hospital everywhere will need to have more than 1 bed available for what once was not a concern.

 

Sketchy understanding by health care workers of how to act will not be acceptable.

 

Sadly though, even if most get their act together we need to hope that 100% of anyone close to the situation follows the most careful measures or else it's still going to be an outlandish international tragedy.

 

Do I have faith that it's going to be controlled adequately so that soon we'll be wiping our brows and saying "Wow, we sure dodged a bullet there, huh?.

 

I'd like to think so, and maybe I'm getting caught up in the fear and panic of it all, but "IT'S STARTING TO FEEL TOO REAL JACK!!!

 

I woke at 3:00 in the morning for no apparent reason and couldn't get back to sleep for thinking of this crap. That's not even cool.

 

It would be nice to think that it's all just a freaky movie, but sadly it isn't.

 

What originally started as one the numerous daily awful news items that we've all become numb to is turning into a serious wake up call, and I must admit I'd rather go back to bed and get some proper sleep.

Revealing interview with one nurse on NBC this morning. Don't have a link yet.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.