October 6, 201411 yr And they still wouldn't have won tonight. True. I'm glad he sat this one out to continue to heal. We will need him in games that we'll actually have a chance to win.
October 6, 201411 yr I have said it all year so far, Burfict is our only NFL quality LB against the run and the pass. LB is a huge need in the upcoming draft. We do have to give Maualuga credit last night, he played well and made a lot of tackles. The Pats run attack was pretty straight forward, run right at the Bengals, and it worked well. However, that is Ray Ray's bread and butter. He is a beast in tight quarters against the run. From one of the shots on the sidelines I think AJ Green was embarrassed about his play and I will leave it at that. Additionally, like doc said, Revis can flat out play and Dalton can't get away with his under-thrown balls against Revis like he can garden variety DBs. One last thing, we are really hurting at DT, we don't have enough depth and we are getting pushed around.
October 6, 201411 yr Author I have said it all year so far, Burfict is our only NFL quality LB against the run and the pass. LB is a huge need in the upcoming draft. We do have to give Maualuga credit last night, he played well and made a lot of tackles. The Pats run attack was pretty straight forward, run right at the Bengals, and it worked well. However, that is Ray Ray's bread and butter. He is a beast in tight quarters against the run. From one of the shots on the sidelines I think AJ Green was embarrassed about his play and I will leave it at that. Additionally, like doc said, Revis can flat out play and Dalton can't get away with his under-thrown balls against Revis like he can garden variety DBs. One last thing, we are really hurting at DT, we don't have enough depth and we are getting pushed around. Still and Peko had a bad game. Mauluga was asked to call the defense....oh God. #59 was picked on ALL NIGHT by Brady. Just think if the Patriots cut their penalties to half of their total. My biggest beef about last night is that Hue Jackson freaked out when they went down early and scrapped running the ball w/ Hill. 15 total carries is inexcusable for a team. They were down by 14 so quickly that they could have stuck w/ their plan. Nope, went back to the same Prime Time Bengals and asking Dalton to win the game. He can't, not on his own. That miss on Bernard's out-and-up was HUGE. Gresham dropping the TD was HUGE. Overall I thought that Dalton was ok, I think that Jackson did him no favors.
October 6, 201411 yr Dalton was okay but I saw some "playoff panic" from him a couple of times. I hope last night was a huge learning experience for the Bengals. To me it was just like a playoff loss only the Bengals get to correct the ship this Sunday and don't have to wait an entire offseason.
October 6, 201411 yr Dalton was okay but I saw some "playoff panic" from him a couple of times. I hope last night was a huge learning experience for the Bengals. To me it was just like a playoff loss only the Bengals get to correct the ship this Sunday and don't have to wait an entire offseason. I did too. I saw him with the deer in the headlights look too often. I still put the majority of the blame On Marvin for lack of preparedness again.
October 6, 201411 yr I did too. I saw him with the deer in the headlights look too often. I still put the majority of the blame On Marvin for lack of preparedness again. We may disagree on Dalton, however I can't argue about Marvin. The Bengals have sucked in prime time during his whole tenure, so he is the one common denominator. I have no idea what the heck he does during bye weeks, because his teams never come out looking better after a bye.
October 6, 201411 yr I think Bengals missed Eiffert on offense last night greatly because a team with decent corners can contain the WRs and the passing game somewhat with no threat at TE. And once Bengals fell behind Gresh becomes even less effective because they are not running the ball in which his blocking matters. Agree on Defensive Line. Just not enough depth there anymore with guys hurt or coming back for being hurt. And of course missing your best defensive player does not help.
October 7, 201411 yr I think Bengals missed Eiffert on offense last night greatly because a team with decent corners can contain the WRs and the passing game somewhat with no threat at TE. And once Bengals fell behind Gresh becomes even less effective because they are not running the ball in which his blocking matters. Agree on Defensive Line. Just not enough depth there anmore with guys hurt or coming back for being hurt. And of course missing your best defensive player does not help. Geno is still not 100% and may not be until the last half of the season and Brandon Thompson is needed, he is their 2nd best DT. Peko and Still were getting pushed and blocked all night. I agree this is glaring right now.
October 7, 201411 yr And with the exception of a few fellow bgp'ers I was getting my balls busted for insisting on the importance of the bengals picking up a round 1 or 2 LB. The debacle which was Sunday night had everything to do with the Pats exposing the weakness of our LB corps...
October 7, 201411 yr And with the exception of a few fellow bgp'ers I was getting my balls busted for insisting on the importance of the bengals picking up a round 1 or 2 LB. The debacle which was Sunday night had everything to do with the Pats exposing the weakness of our LB corps... I actually thought about you during the game and thinking the ol' boy was right.
October 7, 201411 yr Not making excuses, just pointing out, it wasn't just Burfict. Correct me if wrong but the DNP included: Burfict Zeitler Margus Hunt Marvin Jones Tyler Eifert Add in Geno playing fewer snaps. Sean Porter was injured on the opening kickoff and is probably out for the year now, which hurt LB depth. The Bengals were down a lot of talent and depth in that game versus the Pats.
October 7, 201411 yr And with the exception of a few fellow bgp'ers I was getting my balls busted for insisting on the importance of the bengals picking up a round 1 or 2 LB. The debacle which was Sunday night had everything to do with the Pats exposing the weakness of our LB corps... No the biggest thing I fought with you about, was you acting like drafting a linebacker in the 2nd round guaranteed that linebacker would have helped out. You kept saying they should have taken a play making linebacker in the second round like guys would be a can't miss or something. Just because we would have drafted someone doesn't mean anything. Rey Rey is the perfect example, he was a guy that was projected to go in the 1st round and slipped to the 2nd round and looked like a steal and well we know how he has turned out. Drafting one didn't guarantee that it would have helped at all. Especially with the Bengals primarily being in the nickel and only have two linebackers out there usually. The Pats were smart though and about to exploit their depth. Without Burfict they couldn't stay in the nickel and still stop the run with 2 TE's in, and had to use 3 linebackers most of the game to try to stop the run and still couldn't. So I will admit that adding depth to the linebacker spot possibly could have helped last night maybe, if the guy they drafted didn't end up a bust.
October 7, 201411 yr Geno is still not 100% and may not be until the last half of the season and Brandon Thompson is needed, he is their 2nd best DT. Peko and Still were getting pushed and blocked all night. I agree this is glaring right now. Yes without Brandon Thompson the DT spot is weak because Still and Peko don't get much penetration.
October 7, 201411 yr Author And with the exception of a few fellow bgp'ers I was getting my balls busted for insisting on the importance of the bengals picking up a round 1 or 2 LB. The debacle which was Sunday night had everything to do with the Pats exposing the weakness of our LB corps... It was our whole front 7 really. 3xs #59 got caught looking in the backfield instead of getting into the hook zone on his drop. That's a direct result of getting gashed against the run. That was direct result of Still and Peko being on roller skates.
October 7, 201411 yr Author Yes without Brandon Thompson the DT spot is weak because Still and Peko don't get much penetration. Heck, I'd take stalemates at the line.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.