September 8, 201412 yr In 2000, when Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis was charged with murder and later agreed to plead guilty to obstruction of justice and testify against his co-defendants, the Ravens stood by him. Today, the Ravens decided to stop standing by running back Ray Rice. In the opinion of Lewis, that’s because his own case is a lot different from Rice’s. Lewis, now an ESPN analyst, addressed the situation on the air today. “There’s no comparison,” Lewis said. “There is no comparison between me and Ray Rice. It’s night and day.” “I’m disappointed. This is personal for me so I’m torn because this is a guy, a young man, that I really took under my wing and tried to mentor,” Lewis said. Lewis said he considers Rice a friend and cares about him. But Lewis does not want to be compared to Rice. Ray Lewis: ?There is no comparison between me and Ray Rice? | ProFootballTalk
September 8, 201412 yr Author You are right Ray, there is no comparison between you and Ray Rice, you were "involved" in a murder, Rice punched his wife. What Ray Rice did is horrible, what Ray Lewis did is way worse. You are right Ray, there is no comparison between you and Ray Rice. Wow!!!
September 8, 201412 yr Yeah Ray, What Rice did is despicable and what you did is worse...if that is even possible. You don't compare to him!
September 8, 201412 yr Author Both of these incidents are horrible but they show what hypocrites the NFL, ESPN, and the Ravens are when dealing with violence.
September 8, 201412 yr IMO if the Commissioner actually saw the latest video before today, he needs to go. I'd haze zero confidence in his decision making if I were the owners. Asking Ray Lewis's thoughts on this subject is laughable, that he even has a voice in this is laughable. Maybe they should do a jail house interview with The Juice and see what his thoughts are on Rice.
September 8, 201412 yr No way ESPN should have Lewis on air to comment about this. He has no room to say anything!!!!
September 9, 201412 yr Reading some of the comments in the Controversial Issues forum, I think people who really dug into the Ray Lewis story and knew the whole deal would probably feel more sympathy for him than they do for Ray Rice in a lot of ways (not on all counts, just some, particularly how there was the use of serious/deadly force). Just based on what I've read about the whole thing, it's not really clear whether it was Lewis' entourage or the other party who really instigated the whole thing, and the two guys who were assaulted by Lewis' party weren't exactly choir boys either (both had records). I do think Ray Lewis was guilty of a lot of things, but I based on what I've read about it, there isn't really a smoking gun that points to anything other than it was likely that Lewis threw some punches/kicks, started yelling "get the [explicative] in the limo" that he and his entourage rode away in as it was shot at. Just guessing here, but I'd think that it's fairly apparent that next, (possibly own his own or possibly on the advice of his agents, attorneys, someone similar) arranged or had arranged for any evidence of what happened that was in anyone's possession be destroyed. After that, he ate an obstruction of justice charge in court, paid his civil settlements, then went on. Lewis most likely put himself in the situation by keeping the company he did, being out with them like he was, and getting caught at the wrong place, wrong time when the altercation went down. He also most likely (conspired to) destroyed evidence that would implicate him and/or kept quiet about things that would implicate he and/or those with him, but I'm not really sure that we're going apples to apples if we're saying he's the kind of guy who would punch his fiancee (who is a quarter his size) straight in the face and knock her out, try to drag her out of an elevator. Lewis had a lot to lose and the altercation was serious enough it's alleged that it started when a member of his party was hit with a bottle, presumably by members of the same party who didn't care to open fire on his limo as they left. He was a guy at a bar where a serious altercation broke out between two groups of, for lack of a better word, "thugs". I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I don't see the people who were harmed in Lewis' case as the same type of innocent victim that Rice's fiancee seems to be. Yes, the end result was much more serious, but I think it's unfair to just presume that Ray Lewis killed a man in cold blood. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but I think it's fair to say that the situation was much more chaotic and that further background on the victims might reveal that they weren't exactly the most sympathetic people in the whole situation either.
September 9, 201412 yr Reading some of the comments in the Controversial Issues forum, I think people who really dug into the Ray Lewis story and knew the whole deal would probably feel more sympathy for him than they do for Ray Rice in a lot of ways (not on all counts, just some, particularly how there was the use of serious/deadly force). Just based on what I've read about the whole thing, it's not really clear whether it was Lewis' entourage or the other party who really instigated the whole thing, and the two guys who were assaulted by Lewis' party weren't exactly choir boys either (both had records). I do think Ray Lewis was guilty of a lot of things, but I based on what I've read about it, there isn't really a smoking gun that points to anything other than it was likely that Lewis threw some punches/kicks, started yelling "get the [explicative] in the limo" that he and his entourage rode away in as it was shot at. Just guessing here, but I'd think that it's fairly apparent that next, (possibly own his own or possibly on the advice of his agents, attorneys, someone similar) arranged or had arranged for any evidence of what happened that was in anyone's possession be destroyed. After that, he ate an obstruction of justice charge in court, paid his civil settlements, then went on. Lewis most likely put himself in the situation by keeping the company he did, being out with them like he was, and getting caught at the wrong place, wrong time when the altercation went down. He also most likely (conspired to) destroyed evidence that would implicate him and/or kept quiet about things that would implicate he and/or those with him, but I'm not really sure that we're going apples to apples if we're saying he's the kind of guy who would punch his fiancee (who is a quarter his size) straight in the face and knock her out, try to drag her out of an elevator. Lewis had a lot to lose and the altercation was serious enough it's alleged that it started when a member of his party was hit with a bottle, presumably by members of the same party who didn't care to open fire on his limo as they left. He was a guy at a bar where a serious altercation broke out between two groups of, for lack of a better word, "thugs". I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I don't see the people who were harmed in Lewis' case as the same type of innocent victim that Rice's fiancee seems to be. Yes, the end result was much more serious, but I think it's unfair to just presume that Ray Lewis killed a man in cold blood. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but I think it's fair to say that the situation was much more chaotic and that further background on the victims might reveal that they weren't exactly the most sympathetic people in the whole situation either. Outstanding post. Ray Rice is a waste of oxygen and the lowest form of scum on the planet. Ray Lewis kept the wrong company, made some poor decisions, and tried to protect his friends (until it became advantageous not to). To say Lewis was involved in a murder is quite a leap IMO.
September 9, 201412 yr Outstanding post. Ray Rice is a waste of oxygen and the lowest form of scum on the planet. Ray Lewis kept the wrong company, made some poor decisions, and tried to protect his friends (until it became advantageous not to). To say Lewis was involved in a murder is quite a leap IMO. Agreed, not saying he's innocent, not saying he didn't break laws or make bad decisions, just saying that it's not like he was loaded up in a bar, picked a fight with some dude and then beat him to death just for the fun of it. Even some of the most damaging testimony to Lewis' case (some of which didn't see the courtroom because the limo driver later recanted parts of his story) included witnesses saying that they heard Lewis telling everyone to "get the [explicative] in the limo". I know that could be taken a few different ways, but if I'm remembering correctly, even the most damaging recollection of those same events also put Lewis in the limo at some point near the beginning of the fight as well. If that's accurate, I'm no detective, but usually the guy sitting in his car at the beginning of the fight and then trying to get everyone out is probably a punk who has instigated the fight and is trying to run or not the instigator. Lewis is an NFL linebacker, so I know what I'll go with on that one. Hitting a woman and being a big dude who sees a melee break out and takes some swings at guys who had records, didn't care to hit a member of an NFL player's entourage with a bottle, or didn't seem to care to fire at their limo as it left in the midst of all the chaos really isn't the same thing to me.
September 9, 201412 yr Outstanding post. Ray Rice is a waste of oxygen and the lowest form of scum on the planet. Ray Lewis kept the wrong company, made some poor decisions, and tried to protect his friends (until it became advantageous not to). To say Lewis was involved in a murder is quite a leap IMO. Like jumping over a puddle.
September 9, 201412 yr Outstanding post. Ray Rice is a waste of oxygen and the lowest form of scum on the planet. Ray Lewis kept the wrong company, made some poor decisions, and tried to protect his friends (until it became advantageous not to). To say Lewis was involved in a murder is quite a leap IMO. His white tuxedo was covered in the victim's blood!!!!!! Then he threw the tuxedo in a dumpster!!!!!!
September 9, 201412 yr The only difference between Ray Rice and Ray Lewis, Pacman Jones (caused paralysis), Big Ben (multiple rape accusations), etc., etc., is that we have all seen what happened with our own eyes. What has changed since yesterday when we didn't see this video? We knew he knocked her out. Still can't believe they gave Lewis a statue. Maybe Pete Rose should have stuck with football instead.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.