Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NFL asked teams to consider signing Michael Sam

Featured Replies

Well, regardless of whether they should or they shouldn't have, the Cowboys signed him. I have doubts that they would have even considered him on the strength of suggestion alone. Do we even know if he was considered for any other teams because of the alleged request for consideration?

 

When I talked to a friend down here on Thursday he said, "Jerry just loves getting media attention". Dude saying it wasn't being hateful about it and is a lifelong Cowboys' fan. I will say that I didn't think he seemed as surprised as I had expected him to be when hearing the news.

  • Replies 42
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I talked to a friend down here on Thursday he said, "Jerry just loves getting media attention". Dude saying it wasn't being hateful about it and is a lifelong Cowboys' fan. I will say that I didn't think he seemed as surprised as I had expected him to be when hearing the news.

 

I can see that as well. But, that still doesn't mean he felt pressure from the NFL. He had his own motivations.

So being gay is the ticket? A league should never, ever encourage it's teams to sign players for any reason. That's the same as your manager at work "encouraging" you to hire someone for a job even if they aren't qualified.

So being gay is the ticket? A league should never, ever encourage it's teams to sign players for any reason. That's the same as your manager at work "encouraging" you to hire someone for a job even if they aren't qualified.

 

The idea is they won't have to encourage next time.

The way I look at it is that there is a lot of money to be made working in the NFL. This includes coaches and general managers. If a guy can play and help the team win and thus ensure that the coaches and GM's will keep their jobs, than the guy will be given a spot on the team. If he can't than they will pass over him. They will do anything to win. If the NFL has to ask teams to sign a particluar player, than to me that states that those teams don't think that player can help them win, or they would have already signed them on their own.

  • Author

I don't like the Rooney rule for the reason I would think an NFL team would want the best coach possible whether black or white. It's win at all cost in the league. I don't like having to be told I HAVE TO interview someone. I want the best and in the NFL it's about winning an money.

I can see that as well. But, that still doesn't mean he felt pressure from the NFL. He had his own motivations.

 

Completely agree. If I was asked who Jerry though his boss was, my answer would, in a frank tone, be: 'Jerry'.

Being black and gay are two different things so the Rooney Rule and Sam Rule comparisons are a load of crap to me. For comparison's sake though since people want to that silly game, TheDeuce nailed it, Sam got his interview and he failed it and that's all the Rooney Rule does is grant one black dude an interview.

 

This is weak by the NFL IMO. Is Goodell going to call Cleveland and suggest they start Johnny Football?

In the end, it is bad for Michael Sam. If he truly wanted to show he could make it on his own merit, the NFL just hamstrung him. Now, everyone will wonder whether he is still around because the NFL played wet nurse to the media to give him a boost. Affirmative action for gay footballers, if you will. He was treated extremely fairly by Jeff Fisher on the merits. Let his agent do the sales job, not the league.

1. To make sure he gets a fair shot.

 

2. So next time it isn't such a circus.

 

3. If #1 and #2 are accomplished it is really good for the NFL.

 

He did get a fair shot

 

ESPN is the one that made it a circus

 

Garunteed he wasn't the first homosexual that played or tried out for a NFL team.

1. To make sure he gets a fair shot.

 

2. So next time it isn't such a circus.

 

3. If #1 and #2 are accomplished it is really good for the NFL.

 

Let's say there is someone who is a little better than Sams, but he's not in the league now, because the NFL convinced someone to sign Sams. Not saying that happened, but there is potential for it.

He did get a fair shot

 

ESPN is the one that made it a circus

 

Garunteed he wasn't the first homosexual that played or tried out for a NFL team.

 

In some works on Vince Lombardi, one of the old Packers teams that were so good had a running back (I'm almost 99.9% sure it was a RB) who was gay. Lombardi's brother was a homosexual as well, and while it was something that wasn't highly publicized, I think that it's fair to say that it wasn't exactly a big secret amongst the members of the team and organization (if the historians were accurate about it in their work).

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.