Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Full pad pract before Aug. 1 rules

Featured Replies

I think whether the kids participating in the camps are using school equipment is an interesting one. My guess is that the vast majority are using school equipment and I wouldn't think the KHSAA would want kids using school equipment during a period where contact practice isn't permitted. To me that just makes logical sense.

You mean from a liability point of view (equip failure, etc.) or as a means to control the skirting of KHSAA rules?

  • Replies 88
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The camps do carry insurance, but it is a formality since parents sign a waiver protecting the college and the management of the camp only. I am not a lawyer, but the presence of high school coaches at these team padded camps could expose the high school program to liability. If you cannot recover damages against the the host college or camp management where are you going to turn?

I wasn't talking about insurance that protects the venue, I was talking about insurance covering the participants (much like the KHSAA catastrophic policy) for the days they are participating.

To summarize:

1. Players in every other sport can go to camps, get better at their sport and make memories for life, but football players can not.

2. Camp is for the rich and you should feel cheated if you can't afford to go.

3. I'm going to sue because your players worked harder them mine.

4. Kentucky players are different then players in all other states and we don't want them getting scholarships to college.

5. All my problems are someone else's fault.

To summarize:

1. Players in every other sport can go to camps, get better at their sport and make memories for life, but football players can not.

2. Camp is for the rich and you should feel cheated if you can't afford to go.

3. I'm going to sue because your players worked harder them mine.

4. Kentucky players are different then players in all other states and we don't want them getting scholarships to college.

5. All my problems are someone else's fault.

 

6. Having a high school coach supervised team padded camp offsite prior to Aug 1 is perfectly acceptable, while having a fully padded contact practice on school grounds before Aug 1 is a crime.

You mean from a liability point of view (equip failure, etc.) or as a means to control the skirting of KHSAA rules?

 

Both.

6. Having a high school coach supervised team padded camp offsite prior to Aug 1 is perfectly acceptable, while having a fully padded contact practice on school grounds before Aug 1 is a crime.

Always has been, but in 2014 in Kentucky it's an issue.

 

People wonder why football players are so good in Texas, Florida and South Carolina. This type of argument is the reason. Other states put an emphasis on getting better, Kentucky fans want to step back, limit the progress of the players and threaten to sue if little Johnny gets hurt.

Always has been, but in 2014 in Kentucky it's an issue.

 

People wonder why football players are so good in Texas, Florida and South Carolina. This type of argument is the reason. Other states put an emphasis on getting better, Kentucky fans want to step back, limit the progress of the players and threaten to sue if little Johnny gets hurt.

 

I have never seen a check for heat index at a college camp and I've been to close to 40 of these now. Camps can be up to 6 hours long as opposed to 2-3 hrs of practice at school facilities, where the training staff is monitoring heat index.

 

If the concern is for heat issues, then let the heat index drive the rule and not the calendar. Just move the adjustment period up to immediately after the dead period and let everybody in pads after that.

 

I am not a legalist. Ethically, HS coach supervised padded practices are the same, whether at camp or on someone else's campus. Either both are allowed, or both are not.

I have never seen a check for heat index at a college camp and I've been to close to 40 of these now. Camps can be up to 6 hours long as opposed to 2-3 hrs of practice at school facilities, where the training staff is monitoring heat index.

But, yet these camps are held in every state in the county. But, in Kentucky it's an issue. How do they do it? Texas is hot, Florida is hot, Alabama is hot, Louisiana is hot. Kentucky is a moderate climate.

  • Author

Nothing wrong with camps but coaches can't coach their teams at a camp, that is an unfair advantage and I bet against the rules of a camp.

Do we really gotta act like this is anything new? This was common practice when I played, some big name schools and coaches at the time were involved, they were basically grid scrimmages. Does being in a Girdle constitute being in full pads?

So the issue is kids attending "individual" camps at colleges don't fall under the rule. I agree that I how I read the rule. The issue is the kids are using school equipment (most kids) with that being the case kids is injured wearing school equipment that may be a legal issue if injured. So for me it's more about using school equipment.

 

Now "team camps" that coaches and the entire team appears seems like the rule should apply. I know a lot of teams go to college campus for team camp. If this is the case and they are in pads they have violated the rule.

 

Like I said in a different thread the rule wasn't needed. Educating coaches about heat illness like the KHSAA has needs to be continued - then fewer heat injuries should occur.

I also would add if a coach is with his linemen in a full pad camp and is instructing like places Hawg Heaven and down and dirty then to me this should violate the rule.

But, yet these camps are held in every state in the county. But, in Kentucky it's an issue. How do they do it? Texas is hot, Florida is hot, Alabama is hot, Louisiana is hot. Kentucky is a moderate climate.

 

Georgia has these all through out the summer. We just go shells and we butt up but it's still physical as heck and gets the 7v7 mentality out of our system. I personally love these camps as it lets me

 

1. See what concepts we're strong and weak at.

2. See what our transfers look like in pads.

3. How well our team chemistry is.

4. See how the jv kids have evolved over the offseason

5. Gives us some great competition that we won't get for several weeks.

 

 

I see nothing wrong with them now that I've been to a few. Heck, I saw more injuries during 7v7 than our 3 day contact camp.

Always has been, but in 2014 in Kentucky it's an issue.

 

People wonder why football players are so good in Texas, Florida and South Carolina. This type of argument is the reason. Other states put an emphasis on getting better, Kentucky fans want to step back, limit the progress of the players and threaten to sue if little Johnny gets hurt.

Bet if it was basketball no one would have a problem, oh wait basketball can play as many full games a summer that they want. Heard of a local team who played 50 games one summer. How is that fair?

  • Author
I also would add if a coach is with his linemen in a full pad camp and is instructing like places Hawg Heaven and down and dirty then to me this should violate the rule.

 

As long as the kids are mixed up and not just a group of his own kids.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.