Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Full pad pract before Aug. 1 rules

Featured Replies

Football camps where contact occurs outside of the aforementioned accepted dates is a slap in the face to every program that abides by the rules.

 

Your reasoning is not correct regarding this issue. If your reasoning agrees with the KHSAA, then they are wrong as well.

How can they be wrong, it's their rule.

  • Replies 88
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just saying, you are quoting a rule about rest time and saying that has to do with teams participating in contact camps. You are wrong in that respect.

 

KHSAA implicitly states with that bylaw that practice occurs at camps; therefore, contact cannot occur at camps until August 1st.

That's how I read it. Pretty self-explanatory.

 

Contact camps are allowable, just comply with the mandated rest periods.

 

"regardless of where the practice occurs including camps"

 

This is rather self-explanatory. Camps = practice = no contact til August 1st.

How can they be wrong, it's their rule.

 

They contradicted themselves with the new rules in Bylaw 23.

 

They will need to make a ruling or somebody will bring a lawsuit against the KHSAA over this.

Would love to see a KHSAA ruling on this.

KHSAA implicitly states with that bylaw that practice occurs at camps; therefore, contact cannot occur at camps until August 1st.

 

Would love to see a KHSAA ruling on this.

Then how do you explain that teams all over the state have been going to camps, with contact for at least 25 years that I can personally attest to, and nothing has been done about it, for 25 years?

 

Could it be that you are misreading the bylaws? Nah, couldn't be. That's just crazy talk.

Then how do you explain that teams all over the state have going to camps, with contact for at least 25 years that I can personally attest to, and nothing has been done about it, for 25 years?

 

Could it be that you are misreading the bylaws? Nah, couldn't be. That's just crazy talk.

 

"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and I will set aside the understanding of the experts."

 

1 Corinthians 1:19

RAM, I find GRC's arguments compelling. While you may in fact be correct in your interpretation of the rules, the interpretation that counts is the jury pool that is assembled when one of these kids is hurt in a padded practice held at a college facility. If you have a practice not insured by KHSAA, supervised by high school program coaches, and a catastrophic injury occurs, the parents would have no choice to go after the High School for damages. Has this liability been tested in court? What does the school's insurer have to say about these camps?

It is more of the Rich getting Richer, as these Camps are not Cheap! Teams with a lot of money behind them can afford to skirt the rules while teams with tighter budgets can't.

It is more of the Rich getting Richer, as these Camps are not Cheap! Teams with a lot of money behind them can afford to skirt the rules while teams with tighter budgets can't.

 

I have observed that a lot of the privates and independents seem to be so far ahead in their progress, especially early in the season. I look at some of the early season games that are very one sided and it seems to be less about talent differential and more about one team being so much more prepared than another. I wonder if participation in padded team camps is the reason?

RAM, I find GRC's arguments compelling. While you may in fact be correct in your interpretation of the rules, the interpretation that counts is the jury pool that is assembled when one of these kids is hurt in a padded practice held at a college facility. If you have a practice not insured by KHSAA, supervised by high school program coaches, and a catastrophic injury occurs, the parents would have no choice to go after the High School for damages. Has this liability been tested in court? What does the school's insurer have to say about these camps?
I don't think there is any question the KHSAA insurance wouldn't cover individuals attending an independent camp. All those camps have their own insurance policies that cover participants, right?
I don't think there is any question the KHSAA insurance wouldn't cover individuals attending an independent camp. All those camps have their own insurance policies that cover participants, right?

 

I think whether the kids participating in the camps are using school equipment is an interesting one. My guess is that the vast majority are using school equipment and I wouldn't think the KHSAA would want kids using school equipment during a period where contact practice isn't permitted. To me that just makes logical sense.

I don't think there is any question the KHSAA insurance wouldn't cover individuals attending an independent camp. All those camps have their own insurance policies that cover participants, right?

 

The camps do carry insurance, but it is a formality since parents sign a waiver protecting the college and the management of the camp only. I am not a lawyer, but the presence of high school coaches at these team padded camps could expose the high school program to liability. If you cannot recover damages against the the host college or camp management where are you going to turn?

Edited by bballguy

I have observed that a lot of the privates and independents seem to be so far ahead in their progress, especially early in the season. I look at some of the early season games that are very one sided and it seems to be less about talent differential and more about one team being so much more prepared than another. I wonder if participation in padded team camps is the reason?

 

The County schools around here are the ones that have spent the big bucks to go to camp in the past.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.