Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should the KHSAA require pitchers and corner infielders to wear a mask?

Featured Replies

  • Replies 98
  • Views 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I've seen too many close calls to not be for it.

There is no rule saying they can't wear them.

 

If a player wants to then they should.

It's a decision for the parents and the player.

Had this conversation yesterday. I think it should be mandatory. The teams cited in the article seem to be ranked teams, let's assume that the players are overall better athletes, maybe better capably of defending the line drive. What about the lesser skilled corners and pitchers against better, stronger hitters ?

 

Bat manufacturers by their nature are producing "hotter" bats.

 

I see a lot of corner infielders and pitchers that I would question if they could "defend" themselves against a hard hit ball. You would hope they could, but not necessarily true, pitchers especially.

 

Take a line drive out of the equation and bring into play a broken bat. In the past two years I have seen 5 broken bats, with the barrel flying into or out of the infield, yet another projectile that could do serious serious damage. Even on a slap hit, if the corners are in tight, they have limited time to defend themselves.

 

I would disagree that college coaches are overall supportive of masks. Too many parents have communicated otherwise. In fact, I believe I saw a thread on another social media page asking about mask or no mask and there was direct feedback to the contrary. If we start making it mandatory at the youth level, it will be second nature at some point at the high school level.

A total novice to softball, so keep that in mind when I pose some of these questions. But, saw a little bit of the Florida-Arkansas game last night. There was a hit to the third baseman, who bobbled it ever-so-briefly, and then made a strong and accurate throw to first. Absolutely no chance to get the runner. I mean, she was a full stride past the bag by the time the ball got there. So, my questions are these...

 

1.) Why not move the bases further back?

2.) Why not "outlaw" some of these hotter bats?

3.) Why not take some of the compression out of the balls?

 

Now, I realize at the collegiate level, number 1 may be more possible, as you've got gifted players on the field who probably all have the arms to make a longer throw. Maybe not as much at the high school level. Plus, your runners may not be as fast, as well. So, I can see where there may be more difficulty there. However, I'd think questions 2 and 3 would still be valid, wouldn't they?

  • Author
There is no rule saying they can't wear them.

 

If a player wants to then they should.

 

It's a decision for the parents and the player.

 

So in answer to my question, no, you would not support a KHSAA by-law.

 

Why do you think that this is best a decision for parents and players?

So in answer to my question, no, you would not support a KHSAA by-law.

 

Why do you think that this is best a decision for parents and players?

 

I would support it but if a parent or coach thinks it is that important then have your players wearing them whether it is a by-law or not.

  • Author
I would support it but if a parent or coach thinks it is that important then have your players wearing them whether it is a by-law or not.

 

Agreed. But there are parents that wouldn't put their kids in car seats or seatbelts, if it wasn't the law. Heck, some don't do it anyway. A KHSAA by-law will mean that ALL of our pitchers will be protected.

 

1.) Why not move the bases further back?

2.) Why not "outlaw" some of these hotter bats?

3.) Why not take some of the compression out of the balls?

 

I think the shorter base distance plays to the "small game" that is so much of softball, hence the reason so many of the corners play in so frequently.

 

There is a banned bat list for certain bats, but they are still very hot in most cases. I would argue that the same could be said for college baseball, why not make all collegiate baseball wood bat only. I think the answer to this is everyone wants to see the long ball in both baseball and softball.

 

I would agree that softer core balls could reduce some of the issues, but likely not that much for the infield issues.

 

Probably the answer to all your questions is that game is primarily an infield game played quickly and for me that's what makes it fun.

Agreed. But there are parents that wouldn't put their kids in car seats or seatbelts, if it wasn't the law. Heck, some don't do it anyway. A KHSAA by-law will mean that ALL of our pitchers will be protected.

 

Babies and infants can't decide for themselves. Softball players can.

Yes.......but of course I was a parent who had my son wear a face shield on his helmet when playing Cal Ripken and Babe Ruth leagues.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.