Marcus Lee Announces His Return To UK

JokersWild24

To be fair, I probably mis-titled the thread. Obviously, Lee's brother is somewhat of a mouthpiece for him, and as such, probably chooses his words carefully (at least if he has his brother's best interest at heart and/or wants to keep the "mouthpiece" role for long). I think it's significant that his brother would mention it, but obviously, it isn't a surprise to anyone.

In a weak draft like last year's, I wouldn't spit my morning OJ all over the monitor to read that a freshman like Lee, who was oozing with potential and had a nice tournament, might declare for the draft. I wouldn't think it was the best decision, but it wouldn't completely shock me.

This year's draft isn't last year's though, as last year's draft was incredibly weak and this year's draft is incredibly strong; those kinds of things are cyclic. At the end of the day, most every McDonald's All-American will "announce" or make their intentions known regarding the draft. That's just the nature of the beast.

I can see Lee's camp thinking, "Well, if we don't go ahead and state the obvious*, then we're just going to be a part of the rumor mill until we do so. Let's go ahead and state the obvious and get this out of the way so it isn't a distraction".

*(read: intentions to stay/go)

It's not like Lee scheduled a press conference or anything like that, he had someone close to him confirm the assumption that he'd be coming back, and that's that.

I do think that Lee will have the opportunity to play professionally one day, and that, barring a serious injury, he'll probably declare for the draft before the end of his four years of eligibility at UK. He'll have his moment, and is on pace to becoming a pro, it's just not happening this year (or maybe even next).

I'm sure almost every UK fan looks forward to having both Marcus & Willie back next season. Those two, along with an incoming Lyles and Towns, will be quite the front court. Just speculating, but you can probably add Poythress to that as well. It's fairly obvious that Dakari is more up in the air than any of the other front court players, but if everyone (i.e., Dakari, Cauley-Stein, Lee, Poythress) comes back to join what's coming in, our front court will (again) be one of the best and deepest in the nation.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have missed something, but did Marcus Lee ever "announce" he was returning??? I thought his brother was asked what was going on, and his response was that Marcus will be playing basketball at Kentucky next season. He didn't announce, and he didn't need to. It was very clear cut that he was coming back, but to mock him even if he did decide to "announce" he was coming back to Kentucky is just rude. I'll give a warm welcome back to Mr. Lee, even though I knew he wasn't going anywhere. Still gets me excited.

Agree.

If anything, I think the reaction by the UK fans that were called out shows that they are realistic. Marcus Lee has no business in the NBA, and ANYBODY announcing his return was stating the obvious.

It would be like me walking into work tonight and telling my coworkers that I had decided not to take the company CEO posotion.

Lee may be an outstanding pro one day. He's just not there yet. He's not an outstanding college player yet. Nothing wrong with that either...

If anything, I think the reaction by the UK fans that were called out shows that they are realistic. Marcus Lee has no business in the NBA, and ANYBODY announcing his return was stating the obvious.

True, but until he comes out and says it, it's free reign for a guy like Tipton to speculate as well.

Easier to just say "he'll be back at UK next year" and just end it all and let him focus on the offseason.

From what I've read Lee generated some serious īnterest among the NBA guys, I've heard he could have possibly went first round if he came out. He's obviously not ready but the Michigan game put him on the map in a big way in NBA circles. Cal said he had already met with Marcus to discuss his future but after talking to NBA guys had to pull him back in and let him know he actually has a decision on his hands even though neither expected it.

One and done? How about one game and done. :lol:

From what I've read Lee generated some serious īnterest among the NBA guys, I've heard he could have possibly went first round if he came out. He's obviously not ready but the Michigan game put him on the map in a big way in NBA circles. Cal said he had already met with Marcus to discuss his future but after talking to NBA guys had to pull him back in and let him know he actually has a decision on his hands even though neither expected it.

One and done? How about one game and done. :lol:

Any GM willing to draft him in the first round this year should be fired on the spot.

Any GM willing to draft him in the first round this year should be fired on the spot.

No doubt about it, but Cal acted like more than one team was giving him a first round grade. It's ridiculous but you know how it is in the NBA. Teams draft raw prospects all the time just because they don't want to pass on them and get burnt four-five years down the line. It's silly because I don't see him on an NBA bench before the next three or four years but teams try to get fancy late in the first round. Some will even pull the draft and stash and leave them overseas for a couple of years or even send them overseas.