Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why If UK wins the title it is good for College Basketball

Featured Replies

I'll argue about anything that I see is incorrect.

 

Huh, hadn't noticed. :cool:

  • Replies 47
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My heart for the college game leans towards wanting to see guys stick around for a while for all the typical reasons already repetitively stated. For the most part my reasons are about what I want for me and my enjoyment of the game, which really isn't my business anyhow.

 

On the flip side that, I don't really see too much reason that an exceptional player shouldn't be able to grab the big bucks as early as he can before perhaps having a career ending injury, even if freakishly he's 14 years old. Of course the weirdness there might be the influence of hanging around adult men all the time, and what that could bring perhaps too early in the kid's life.

 

Although it's an entirely different field of high-profile highly exposed professionalism, you rarely had or have anyone ever object to Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Lorde, One Dimension (I mean Direction), Michael Jackson, Donny Osmond or any other teen stars from exercising their talents and grabbing the big bucks as soon as they could. Nobody ever expected them to wait until after High School or College to start kicking it.

 

Sure, we watch closely and sometimes say that their early successes ruined them blah blah blah, but in general there doesn't seem to be a big ruckus about it.

 

Some kids handle early stardom, and some don't.

And if you want to talk about reasons for the hatred, the reasons Duke is hated is way way way worse than why UK is hated.

 

For being slow white floppers? :lol2:

That's not on purpose. Poythress and WCS were one and dones when they arrived on campus. Terrence Jones was too. Teague and Goodwin should have been there 2 years. Lots of variables.

 

His entire recruiting classes would look different if kids have to stay 2 years. I'm not saying he still wouldn't have the #1 recruiting class I just think his classes would look a lot different than what they have looked the last few years.

 

I don't know of anyone who thought going into last year WCS was a one and done. He was like the #40 overall recruit and a "project". Poythress may have been considered that but that just shows how bad the recruiting analyst really are. Maybe one of the best hanful of athletes in college basketball, but is as unpolished as they come.

I don't know of anyone who thought going into last year WCS was a one and done. He was like the #40 overall recruit and a "project". Poythress may have been considered that but that just shows how bad the recruiting analyst really are. Maybe one of the best hanful of athletes in college basketball, but is as unpolished as they come.

 

 

At one time during the season last year Poythress, WCS and Goodwin were all projected to go in round 1 in mock drafts.

I don't know of anyone who thought going into last year WCS was a one and done. He was like the #40 overall recruit and a "project". Poythress may have been considered that but that just shows how bad the recruiting analyst really are. Maybe one of the best hanful of athletes in college basketball' date=' but is as unpolished as they come.[/quote']Poythress was only considered a one-and-done because the class - recruiting and draft classes, that is - was so weak. Also just going to KY that perception exists. Most years he would have been in the middle of the 5 star recruits. I think he was #9 in a really weak crop of Freshman. This season would have been on the tail end to potentially being a 4 star. Correct on WCS.
At one time during the season last year Poythress, WCS and Goodwin were all projected to go in round 1 in mock drafts.

 

That was during the season. He was recruited as or thought of as a one and done until the games started.

That was during the season. He was recruited as or thought of as a one and done until the games started.

 

Noel, Goodwin and Poythress were all expected to be one and done before they stepped onto UK's campus. By January WCS joined those 3. By March only 2 made the cut. That's how I remember it and I'm sure the BGP archives will remember it the same.

Noel, Goodwin and Poythress were all expected to be one and done before they stepped onto UK's campus. By January WCS joined those 3. By March only 2 made the cut. That's how I remember it and I'm sure the BGP archives will remember it the same.

 

I wonder what Cal's take would have been if we could have really got the truth out though? Perceptions are often wrong. Most people thought Austin Rivers would be great. Many people thought Sebastian Telfair would be great. Few saw Embiid being as highly touted as he is, at least this early. Wouldn't coaches such as Cal be the best judges? Cal has had enough pros to understand that Poythress wasn't a one-and-done and I'm sure he knew that when he signed him.

I wonder what Cal's take would have been if we could have really got the truth out though? Perceptions are often wrong. Most people thought Austin Rivers would be great. Many people thought Sebastian Telfair would be great. Few saw Embiid being as highly touted as he is, at least this early. Wouldn't coaches such as Cal be the best judges? Cal has had enough pros to understand that Poythress wasn't a one-and-done and I'm sure he knew that when he signed him.

 

He won't have an answer. Perceptions change quickly. The Twins went from undrafted to first round picks in 6 games.

...

Edited by Jumper_Dad
not relevant to thread

 

That was during the season. He was recruited as or thought of as a one and done until the games started.

 

WCS was never considered one and done prior to the season. I recall Cal even saying in an early season interview that he initially thought WCS was a multi-year guy but had played himself into talk of being a first round pick.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.