Desean Jackson signs deal with Redskins

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DeSean Jackson of Washington Redskins says he's not a gang member - ESPN

Meanwhile, DeMaurice Smith, the executive director of the NFL Players Association, told ESPN that the union will look into the circumstances surrounding Jackson's release.

"You're talking to a guy who spent 10 years as a federal prosecutor in Washington, D.C., and I grew up in the city ... to have someone come out and say 'gang affiliation,' I'm not sure I know what that means," Smith said Friday. "I certainly know what it means to prosecute members of a gang. I certainly know what it means to be a member of organized crime. I don't know what it means when a team or an official says that there's 'gang affiliations.'

"To me, the real issue is this is the business of football. If you want to make a decision to cut a player, tell a player he's cut. Make a decision. But if you want to smear a player with innuendo or something that is less than proof ... you know that I was very aggressive in calling a few GMs cowards for what they said about a young man coming out of college [former Missouri defensive end Michael Sam]. It seems to me that the same thing applies ... if you want to smear someone and you don't have any evidence."

DeSean Jackson says he hangs with gang members, but 'not if they are doing negative things' | NJ.com

"It's not true," Jackson said when asked by Stephen A. Smith on ESPN if he was in a gang.

And does he associate with any gang members?

"Not if they are doing negative things," Jackson said.

But later, when asked about flashing gang signs, Jackson said he hung with "affiliated gang members":

"...if you see signs or if you see me in pictures with affiliated gang members or whatever the case may be, that sign I am throwing up is to connect me with me and my boys," he said.

:lol: Sure thing Desean...

DeSean Jackson says he hangs with gang members, but 'not if they are doing negative things' | NJ.com

"It's not true," Jackson said when asked by Stephen A. Smith on ESPN if he was in a gang.

And does he associate with any gang members?

"Not if they are doing negative things," Jackson said.

But later, when asked about flashing gang signs, Jackson said he hung with "affiliated gang members":

"...if you see signs or if you see me in pictures with affiliated gang members or whatever the case may be, that sign I am throwing up is to connect me with me and my boys," he said.

:lol: Sure thing Desean...

You think he is in a gang? :lol2:

So he hangs out with gang members and flashes gang signs. I don't know you tell me? If it walks like a duck...

I'm sure when they do bad things he just leaves the situation. :lol2:

Knucklehead for sure. Definitely not in a gang. His only charge had something to do with weed. That ain't gangsta.

I've hung out with gang members and I still flash gang signs at work. I ain't in a gang. :lol2:

#posers

Addition by subtraction, the guy is a great talent but he's not a good teammate. A perfect player for CK's offense and the fact they let him go says enough for me. I know they are anonymous but it doesn't seem like he had much respect from his co-workers.

Addition by subtraction, the guy is a great talent but he's not a good teammate. A perfect player for CK's offense and the fact they let him go says enough for me. I know they are anonymous but it doesn't seem like he had much respect from his co-workers.

Agreed. They could have said this instead of floating out the gang stuff.

So he hangs out with gang members and flashes gang signs. I don't know you tell me? If it walks like a duck...

I'm sure when they do bad things he just leaves the situation. :lol2:

Agree, Jackson's own comments literally define the word affiliation.

The media report nailed Jackson and Jackson's own words confirmed it.

I just have two words to say about DeSean Jackson :

Aaron Hernandez

Amazing how people repeat the same mistakes.

Whitlock: Eagles had other issues with DeSean Jackson - ESPN

DeSean Jackson hasn't been accused of firing shots into anyone's car (which Hernandez was accused of while at Florida).

I think that the best line I've heard on DeSean Jackson was when an ex-NFL player was being interviewed/reporting and said "if you ask a real hard ____ if DeSean Jackson is a 'gangsta' or 'gangbanger', they'd laugh in your face".

The point of that is Jackson wants to look all hard and thinks that kind of thing helps his image. However, that's not really good PR for an NFL player, and I think most reasonable people could agree on that.

Another great point was made in someone saying (more or less), "show me a kid with his background who went to a school like Cal Poly that doesn't know some gang members or other unscrupulous characters... it'd almost be impossible to be in that situation and not know of some people like that".

The point in that was that you can look up some statistics on Cal Poly and see that it isn't exactly a desirable place to grow up and send your children to school. It also happens to be in one of the most gang-infested areas of the entire nation (south central LA), and it would be next to impossible not to know or have associates who were at one time involved in gangs.

Not really excusing Jackson if he's had continued involvement in gang activity, but it's a stretch to compare him to a guy like Aaron Hernandez. Now, if he's still hanging out with lots of unscrupulous characters, then that's a completely different issue. I do think that there's a difference in a guy like Michael Vick who didn't abandon some friends he had growing up and it later got him in trouble and a guy who has an Instagram picture and lends studio time to a friend from home with questionable character.

At the end of the day, I think that if Jackson were a guy who was still in his Rookie contract and was outperforming it, he'd still be an Eagle. I have a really hard time believing that he'd been in Philly for so long and they didn't have the slightest clue about the claims they've made. It's just suspicious to me that he's a guy who signed a big deal, and since that time, they've brought in a different coach. They don't want friction in the locker room and since Kelly is a college guy, it's understandable that Jackson could be perceived as a threat to his control over the locker room. IMO, the gang stuff was a way to get rid of him and wouldn't have been brought up otherwise under similar circumstances.