Walton Verona 17 Newport Central Catholic 1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the Walton game. I was really impressed by the NCC catcher and center fielder. Is the left fielder out of position? Seemed that she struggled.

Catcher Kristen Schreiber (1/2) and Centerfielder Morgan Martini (2/2, 3B) had really good game against the Bearcats. Schreiber is a workhorse behing the plate that has pop in her bat, but her defensive catching abilities are her strong point. Martini can chase down a ball in the outfield and has a very strong arm.

Leftfielder Taylor Burkart struggled "bigtime" at the plate for sure going 0-2, both GO1-3. She has played every position but catcher in her 4 year varsity career, so no she wasn't out of position. She had 5 groundballs hit to her in left that she fielded cleanly. She did have a "mental" lapse on the 1st one. Had she come up throwing right away she nails the girl at home EASILY, but her hesitation cost her as the girl just did slide in safe. Trust me, I gave her good talking to about it, as did Coach Barnes. Other then that I'm stumped. :idunno:

Softball differs from other sports, there typically is no locker room. It is a game that has gaps in it and those gaps demand reinforcement of various kinds that are immediate and very public. Waiting until you have a "private moment" is not realistic. Knowing many of the girls on this team and the coaches who have coached them over the years in other sports, I find it hard to believe that Denny or anyone got into them like some of their other coaches (or Dads for that matter). Being honest about poor play is nothing new to sports.

I would agree that Spring Break creates some problems. I witnessed game last night where the coaches said EXACTLY the same thing and it was obvious.

I know Lawnboy and his passion is 365 for this sport. I trust his judgment and his demeanor, as well Denny's. I don't have a dog in the fight but there are far too many princess mentalities in this sport compared to other girls sports. I'm willing to bet that more of these girls respond to a good chewing than a soft sell…it's how they have been conditioned.

I'm sure NCC will get their act together. Too many quality athletes on that team….

Can I say in the nicest way possible that I hope they have at least a few more "off" days? :)

What school is coach Gregg coming from? I was also under the impression that the WV team is very young, it this true?

Don't believe that Coach Gregg coached anywhere last year and yes the Bearcats are young.

Seniors are Thacker and Ginn. They have 3 Jr's on the team and the rest are Soph's, Freshman and 2 8th graders list on the roster.

Don't believe that Coach Gregg coached anywhere last year and yes the Bearcats are young.

Seniors are Thacker and Ginn. They have 3 Jr's on the team and the rest are Soph's, Freshman and 2 8th graders list on the roster.

They are very young. He did not coach last year but was an assistant to Coach Anderson the year before when Walton went to the 8th region finals. Walton is very fortunate to have him as their coach.

Coach Gregg is an outstanding coach having both coached before and umpired too. That is a good double threat as he can tell players about things as an umpire and a coach. Future looks bright at Walton Verona.

As for NCC-they will be fine-they always are. LB13 IS NCC softball, and as others have said, he always paints a fair portrait of the games for NCC whether they win or lose. He has been critical of those in his own family at times for their play-something that less than 1% of posters would do. I have seen some post on this thread about how bad the umpires were, but fail to mention that their superstar daughter had five errors. LB13 in my humble opinion is a big reason why Softball has its own thread. I wasn't at the game, but if somebody played well for NCC in this 17 to 1 loss, please enlighten us.

Sounds like Walton Verona is going to be a tough team to beat for much of this 2014 season.

Coach Gregg was the head coach at Grant County in 2008.

They are very young. He did not coach last year but was an assistant to Coach Anderson the year before when Walton went to the 8th region finals. Walton is very fortunate to have him as their coach.

Not sure about very young. Outside of ND (with a lot of Seniors) and NCC (with a lot of JRs), I would say that is about the ages of all the other teams in NKY...with some being much younger.

But none the less, they look to have a very solid season!! Good luck to WV!