Walton Verona 17 Newport Central Catholic 1

And btw Allen R I agree with you. It is early and Denny B is a great coach. He'll figure it out. He's got a good young pitcher and a great one behind the plate. Add a few solid fielders and he'll be right were he needs to be at the end of the season. Just takes some positive reinforcement.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are not going to find another person as supportive and loyal to the NCC softball program than Lawnboy, imo. His criticism is done out of love for the girls and his passion to make them better players as well as better young women. I don't have a girl on the team but if I did, I would have no problem with what he says. They got absolutely spanked in this game and, again imo, are much, much better than this score indicates so I get his frustration.

I think anyone who knows Lawnboy or even just reads his comments on BGP knows how passionate he is about NCC. He wasn't ripping any player personally only criticizing their play. Better left for the locker room....maybe....but so is 90% of what is written on here. We all hide behind anonymous screen names and take pot shots at coaches and even players. I have seen coaches questioned over and over. I have seen players playing time called into question that they only played because a parent was on the coaching staff. I have seen players called lazy and "bad attitudes".

I have not read your posts, Whatever It Takes, and you probably don't do the things I named above but many do. At least we all know who Lawnboy is. He calls a spade a spade, and that is wrong in today's PC world.

Edited by True blue (and gold)

It's one thing to do it in a locker room, another on a public forum. Social media can be a curse and adults are supposed to be setting examples. That's my beef.

Softball differs from other sports, there typically is no locker room. It is a game that has gaps in it and those gaps demand reinforcement of various kinds that are immediate and very public. Waiting until you have a "private moment" is not realistic. Knowing many of the girls on this team and the coaches who have coached them over the years in other sports, I find it hard to believe that Denny or anyone got into them like some of their other coaches (or Dads for that matter). Being honest about poor play is nothing new to sports.

I would agree that Spring Break creates some problems. I witnessed game last night where the coaches said EXACTLY the same thing and it was obvious.

I know Lawnboy and his passion is 365 for this sport. I trust his judgment and his demeanor, as well Denny's. I don't have a dog in the fight but there are far too many princess mentalities in this sport compared to other girls sports. I'm willing to bet that more of these girls respond to a good chewing than a soft sell…it's how they have been conditioned.

I'm sure NCC will get their act together. Too many quality athletes on that team….

I know LB and don't have a problem with him personally. He does have a passion and it's much appreciated. Again, in today's society when we work hard to teach kids how to handle social media, yet those who are supposed to be setting examples go and rip our own children, possibly my child, I have issues with that. There is a time and a place for everything. Denny B is working tirelessly to to run his program. A more constructive approach is all I'm asking for.

Rule 5

I don't see the post as being "thrown under the bus". A 17-1 loss is driving the bus themselves and jumping under it.

You may disagree with the post, and me personally, I don't think coaches and AD's should necessarily be on social media doing it, but it's the Head Coach responsibility to curb it and it certainly isn't out of character for LB.

I know LB and don't have a problem with him personally. He does have a passion and it's much appreciated. Again, in today's society when we work hard to teach kids how to handle social media, yet those who are supposed to be setting examples go and rip our own children, possibly my child, I have issues with that. There is a time and a place for everything. Denny B is working tirelessly to to run his program. A more constructive approach is all I'm asking for.

LB was asked a simple question, and he gave an honest overall answer. Their play was bad...evidently very bad looking at the result, and the other team was good. Not a thing wrong or out of line with what he posted, and I would assume the girls were probably told the very same thing after the game. And if not they probably should have been. Not really sure why you are so "upset" with what he posted. if anything his post was probably very restrained. My take anyway.

First Walton Verona is Kicking some butt so far this year. I heard someone else talking about them at the Pete Knoll.

In my opinion Lawn Boy is as knowledgeable about Fast pitch Softball and the young ladies that play the game in Northern Kentucky as anyone! He promotes the game and the young ladies that play the sport the right way while simply telling it like it is! Unlike some posters on this board that blows smoke and reports inaccurate stats you can rely on Lawnboys comments and stats to be factual! I can tell you if he used the board to blow smoke and exaggerate performance he wouldn't be as respected amongst other teams parents, coaches and players as he is! Don't get me wrong he is still a HOMER (LOL) but you can count on him to tell both sides of the game being good or bad!

Softball differs from other sports, there typically is no locker room. It is a game that has gaps in it and those gaps demand reinforcement of various kinds that are immediate and very public. Waiting until you have a "private moment" is not realistic. Knowing many of the girls on this team and the coaches who have coached them over the years in other sports, I find it hard to believe that Denny or anyone got into them like some of their other coaches (or Dads for that matter). Being honest about poor play is nothing new to sports.

I would agree that Spring Break creates some problems. I witnessed game last night where the coaches said EXACTLY the same thing and it was obvious.

I know Lawnboy and his passion is 365 for this sport. I trust his judgment and his demeanor, as well Denny's. I don't have a dog in the fight but there are far too many princess mentalities in this sport compared to other girls sports. I'm willing to bet that more of these girls respond to a good chewing than a soft sell…it's how they have been conditioned.

I'm sure NCC will get their act together. Too many quality athletes on that team….

We are very blessed to have many "quality" athletes, however what we aren't blessed with is adequate practice facilities. This year more than ever it has come back to "bite us in the rear". We were able to use NewCath gym twice this season for the 1st time in my 5 years with the team. The JR High gym we have been using for the last 5 years is now at our disposal on a VERY limited bases, and we are not allowed to hit in there. The lack of batting practice is definitely a major obstacle to deal with, and it is showing so far this early in the season. However, I'm confident the girls will bring it around as the season moves forward.

"Likes" for everyone.

I just want to thank AllenR for taking half a day off of work to come and spend about 5 hours shooting pictures, excellent job. :ylsuper:

My pleasure...

"Fancy schedule" eta: Monday or Tuesday