Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic article shows possible KHSAA violation - Appears Unfounded

Featured Replies

Alright folks here's the deal, because this article was out there for public consumption, we allowed discussion of this topic. Similarly we have allowed discussion in this forum (as well as CI) regarding issues of this ilk upon occasion (Montgomery County, Scott County, Cordia, to name a few). As long as we can keep the discussion civil, it will be allowed to continue.

  • Replies 129
  • Views 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And with all of that said, I find the point LBBC made interesting. Seems it would be a double standard if boys were allowed to have persons outside the program to come in and practice, especially once the outline for the season was underway.

4. No recruiting comments or allegations of KHSAA rules violations by any school, coach, player or booster are allowed. No comments about where any player lives, has lived, or where they are from in a recruiting context. This is not the place to report KHSAA violations. Feel free to contact the KHSAA to report such violations, but do not discuss violations here.

 

does this not come into play here? Randy? Purple?

4. No recruiting comments or allegations of KHSAA rules violations by any school, coach, player or booster are allowed. No comments about where any player lives, has lived, or where they are from in a recruiting context. This is not the place to report KHSAA violations. Feel free to contact the KHSAA to report such violations, but do not discuss violations here.

 

does this not come into play here? Randy? Purple?

Read post 91

I don't know what did or didn't happen at Covington Catholic, so I won't express any opinions. But let me ask a question - when a minor league professional basketball team existed in the Pikeville area (and it may still be there, for all I know), would it be permissible for a high school team in that area to have players on that team to come and participate in the high school team's practices? Would that be a violation?

Everyone who says this thread is a violation of BGP rules also says CCH didn't do anything wrong. It's not often a school tells on itself in a publication. I think the thread is fine.

 

No responses to Ladiesbballcoach or Sandman? Are people just going to ignore their claims that it is a KHSAA violation? A minor violation but still a violation? Lose a scrimmage possibly? Nobody has any comments on that?

 

Covington Catholic didn't bring any former college players in to compete in practice, so this is much ado about nothing.

 

For what it's worth, alleging a KHSAA violation is a direct violation of Rule #4, but I get the feeling that it's okay so long as it brings traffic to the site.

You honestly read the BGP rule #4 quoted earlier, and see there is no BGP violation? Let me quote BGP rule 4 again:

 

4. No recruiting comments or allegations of KHSAA rules violations by any school, coach, player or booster are allowed. No comments about where any player lives, has lived, or where they are from in a recruiting context. This is not the place to report KHSAA violations. Feel free to contact Kentucky High School Athletic Association | KHSAA ? Student-athletes of Today, Leaders of Tomorrow to report such violations, but do not discuss violations here.

 

Still see no issue with this thread breaking rule number 4????

 

As far as responding to their posts, while I did not quote them that is what I am saying. There is no violation on Cov Cath's part.

 

I again go back to my question, why is this thread not closed?

 

I never said it didn't break rule #4. I said it's funny that the people crying about rule #4 all say CCH didn't break a rule. I also said it is a minor violation of the rule. I don't think it is worth all the tears you guys are spewing all over my monitor.

I don't know what did or didn't happen at Covington Catholic, so I won't express any opinions. But let me ask a question - when a minor league professional basketball team existed in the Pikeville area (and it may still be there, for all I know), would it be permissible for a high school team in that area to have players on that team to come and participate in the high school team's practices? Would that be a violation?

 

 

My interpretation is that if it happens once practice for that particular season begins then it is a violation.

Alright folks here's the deal, because this article was out there for public consumption, we allowed discussion of this topic. Similarly we have allowed discussion in this forum (as well as CI) regarding issues of this ilk upon occasion (Montgomery County, Scott County, Cordia, to name a few). As long as we can keep the discussion civil, it will be allowed to continue.

 

 

We most certainly have. I'll move it to CI anyways though.

Covington Catholic didn't bring any former college players in to compete in practice, so this is much ado about nothing.

 

For what it's worth, alleging a KHSAA violation is a direct violation of Rule #4, but I get the feeling that it's okay so long as it brings traffic to the site.

 

 

I always laugh when people say things like this. :lol2: :lol2:

Wow, reading through most of this, many seem to think it's no big deal because it happens all the time. That may be true, but that doesn't mean it's not against the rules and maybe it is unfair for schools that actually do follow the rules. It may happen in the summer all the time, but once the season starts, you are only allowed to practice against others on your team. Period. That's why they give you two scrimmages and once the season starts, there are no more scrimmages allowed. Because you are ONLY allowed to practice against the players on your team.

 

Same with boys vs girl practices. It's all about liability. Not whether it's okay. I know for a fact that HHS got their hand slapped by the KHSAA for having their girls varsity practice against their freshman boys team last year. I also know for a fact that other teams do it, but I can tell you that HHS would never do it again. So others did it this year and HHS didn't...if that fair? Wouldn't having your girl's team competing against any boys 2-3 days a week create an advantage over a team that doesn't? Heck, that's why they do it! On the record, I have no problem with girls practicing against boys and making them better. I promote it actually, but it's illegal (whether you agree with it or not) to do it. Same with pulling in "volunteers" during the seaon, regardless if they are former college players or not.

 

Do I care that Cov Cath did it or that other girls teams have said they bring in people. Not really. I really could care less, other than an unfair advantage. But to say it's not a violation is not true. It's breaking the rules. Maybe they don't enforce the rules like they should, but when it's in B&W in front of thousands of people, I think they have to act in some way.

 

 

And for those that are caught up on "college players" or "students", did you catch this part of it. It says "persons" for a reason. In season, no one but your teammates are allowed to practice with you. Heck, I coach softball in HHS. I know plenty of ex-college pitchers. I would love to have them come in and pitch batting practice against my kids everyday. How good of hitters would we be. But you're not allowed!!! Anyone that practices with kids or instructs in anyway, must go through all of the KHSAA requirements. Bringing in anyone outside the program is highly illegal...college player, dad, whomever you want to say.

 

"Ineligible persons practicing with the team or participating in any

manner while representing the school potentially jeopardize

the insurance coverage, including catastrophic and liability

insurance, of all participants and the liability coverage of the

school and school system."

I always laugh when people say things like this. :lol2: :lol2:

 

 

I always laugh when I see a thread where 98% of the posters believe one thing and then a poster or two makes a great post saying the 98% is wrong and then the 98% shut up and leave the thread. That always makes me laugh more than anything else.

Wow, reading through most of this, many seem to think it's no big deal because it happens all the time. That may be true, but that doesn't mean it's not against the rules and maybe it is unfair for schools that actually do follow the rules. It may happen in the summer all the time, but once the season starts, you are only allowed to practice against others on your team. Period. That's why they give you two scrimmages and once the season starts, there are no more scrimmages allowed. Because you are ONLY allowed to practice against the players on your team.

 

Same with boys vs girl practices. It's all about liability. Not whether it's okay. I know for a fact that HHS got their hand slapped by the KHSAA for having their girls varsity practice against their freshman boys team last year. I also know for a fact that other teams do it, but I can tell you that HHS would never do it again. So others did it this year and HHS didn't...if that fair? Wouldn't having your girl's team competing against any boys 2-3 days a week create an advantage over a team that doesn't? Heck, that's why they do it! On the record, I have no problem with girls practicing against boys and making them better. I promote it actually, but it's illegal (whether you agree with it or not) to do it. Same with pulling in "volunteers" during the seaon, regardless if they are former college players or not.

 

Do I care that Cov Cath did it or that other girls teams have said they bring in people. Not really. I really could care less, other than an unfair advantage. But to say it's not a violation is not true. It's breaking the rules. Maybe they don't enforce the rules like they should, but when it's in B&W in front of thousands of people, I think they have to act in some way.

 

 

And for those that are caught up on "college players" or "students", did you catch this part of it. It says "persons" for a reason. In season, no one but your teammates are allowed to practice with you. Heck, I coach softball in HHS. I know plenty of ex-college pitchers. I would love to have them come in and pitch batting practice against my kids everyday. How good of hitters would we be. But you're not allowed!!! Anyone that practices with kids or instructs in anyway, must go through all of the KHSAA requirements. Bringing in anyone outside the program is highly illegal...college player, dad, whomever you want to say.

 

"Ineligible persons practicing with the team or participating in any

manner while representing the school potentially jeopardize

the insurance coverage, including catastrophic and liability

insurance, of all participants and the liability coverage of the

school and school system."

 

 

Well said. This was my line of thinking also but you covered it way better than I did.

 

I'll hang up and listen to the rest of the callers now.

  • Author

So, now the homers want us to believe that it was college experienced coaches that they practiced against. Riiiiiiiiiight! Seems a kid who is used to practicing every day with his "college experienced coaches" wouldn't feel the need to discuss the issue because it was standard operating procedure. Oh, I think there's something to it or the usual suspects wouldn't be in damage control mode.

So, now the homers want us to believe that it was college experienced coaches that they practiced against. Riiiiiiiiiight! Seems a kid who is used to practicing every day with his "college experienced coaches" wouldn't feel the need to discuss the issue because it was standard operating procedure. Oh, I think there's something to it or the usual suspects wouldn't be in damage control mode.

 

That's been my thought all along. There's too much "there's nothing to see here" going on in this thread, which makes me think he doth protest too much.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.