Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic article shows possible KHSAA violation - Appears Unfounded

Featured Replies

  • Replies 129
  • Views 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cov Cath beat Holmes in the regional final March 10

 

Might have been a good idea to read KHSAA bylaw 14.2 before doing this article.

 

You may want to think about getting a hobby (woodworking or stamp collecting) or perhaps a girlfriend, if this is all you have to think about and research.

 

Let's go Colonels!

  • Author
You may want to think about getting a hobby (woodworking or stamp collecting) or perhaps a girlfriend, if this is all you have to think about and research.

 

Let's go Colonels!

 

Got a girlfriend. Collect bobbleheads. Enjoy posts like this when you NKY folks get your panties in a wad. I think it's a violation, not the only one.

 

Let's go Tigers!

Got a girlfriend. Collect bobbleheads. Enjoy posts like this when you NKY folks get your panties in a wad. I think it's a violation' date=' not the only one. Let's go Tigers![/quote']

 

You may think it is but it simply doesn't seem that way based on any of the wording.

No, but neither did CovCath.....ALL CovCath coaches are former college players, so this is a BIG NONE ISSUE.

 

Blame the author of the article then.

You may think it is but it simply doesn't seem that way based on any of the wording.

 

 

Because NKY said so?

Because NKY said so?

 

Come on. The wording of the rule IMO is quite clear and deals with "students."

Come on. The wording of the rule IMO is quite clear and deals with "students."

 

And you are entitled to your opinion.

 

I think it is funny that the boy team can't play the girl team but by wording of the rule a Girl's team could bring in college men to practice against. I also saw something in the bylaws that spoke about it being an issue because of insurance purposes. If a volunteer from college was hurt in practice could he sue the school and have the school pay his medical bills?

Making no commentary on this situation. Scrimmaging against alum or males for females runs into violating the number of scrimmages rule.

 

It also voids the KHSAA insurance provided to schools as players are not playing against other hs athletes.

 

That is what was explained to me by KHSAA when I wanted my teams to scrimmage/run drills vs males or alum.

 

Coaching staff is different.

Making no commentary on this situation. Scrimmaging against alum or males for females runs into violating the number of scrimmages rule.

 

It also voids the KHSAA insurance provided to schools as players are not playing against other hs athletes.

 

That is what was explained to me by KHSAA when I wanted my teams to scrimmage/run drills vs males or alum.

 

Coaching staff is different.

 

Very interesting. Looking forward to responses from this post.

 

Earlier I said that I thought this would be a minor violation and that the end result would likely be losing a scrimmage or something of that nature. Is that plausible?

No dog in this hunt, and not speaking of this situation in particular, because I have no idea who was involved.

 

But it is a violation of KHSAA rules to have folks who are out of high school come in and practice against a team once Oct. 15 rolls around. The exception is anyone who is on the coaching staff, including volunteer assistants. It's a clear cut rule, and a violation would likely cost a team a scrimmage. IMO, no big deal, but I guess this could cost CCH a scrimmage next season.

First, let me say that this thread is a direct violation of BGP Rule #4, is it not?

 

 

 

But, while we're on the topic, I'll address a few posts:

 

 

 

The rule specifically states "any student who is not eligible...shall not practice with the team." This thread does not allege that any ineligible students practiced with Covington Catholic. In fact, the article specifically states that the alleged practice players were college grads, not students.

 

 

 

None of the practice players played in a game with the high school team, so it doesn't seem like a violation of this bylaw to me.

 

 

 

I tend to agree with your line of thinking.

 

 

 

Are you comparing recruiting a kid to a school (the ultimate "no no" in HS sports) to having a couple college players show up to practice? I understand your point that both (in your opinion) are violations of the KHSAA bylaws, but I think they're vastly different. Maybe that's just me.

 

 

Let me add that I have no idea if this is a KHSAA violation or not. It's possible that it could be, but I don't think any of the bylaws cited in this thread make a very strong case against Covington Catholic. Again, just my opinion.

 

I agree this thread is clearly a violation of BGP rules. Why is it still open? It seems to me that other threads opened which violate rules of BGP are closed immediately. So, for those of you that feel that Cov Cath has broken rules, do as the rules here suggest - Contact the KHSAA

 

For what it is worth, I agree there is totally nothing here with regards to Cov Cath doing anything wrong.

Everyone who says this thread is a violation of BGP rules also says CCH didn't do anything wrong. It's not often a school tells on itself in a publication. I think the thread is fine.

 

No responses to Ladiesbballcoach or Sandman? Are people just going to ignore their claims that it is a KHSAA violation? A minor violation but still a violation? Lose a scrimmage possibly? Nobody has any comments on that?

Everyone who says this thread is a violation of BGP rules also says CCH didn't do anything wrong. It's not often a school tells on itself in a publication. I think the thread is fine.

 

No responses to Ladiesbballcoach or Sandman? Are people just going to ignore their claims that it is a KHSAA violation? A minor violation but still a violation? Lose a scrimmage possibly? Nobody has any comments on that?

 

You honestly read the BGP rule #4 quoted earlier, and see there is no BGP violation? Let me quote BGP rule 4 again:

 

4. No recruiting comments or allegations of KHSAA rules violations by any school, coach, player or booster are allowed. No comments about where any player lives, has lived, or where they are from in a recruiting context. This is not the place to report KHSAA violations. Feel free to contact Kentucky High School Athletic Association | KHSAA ? Student-athletes of Today, Leaders of Tomorrow to report such violations, but do not discuss violations here.

 

Still see no issue with this thread breaking rule number 4????

 

As far as responding to their posts, while I did not quote them that is what I am saying. There is no violation on Cov Cath's part.

 

I again go back to my question, why is this thread not closed?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.