Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Region Tournament Officials Swap

Featured Replies

I like the idea of moving officials outside their region to call region tournament games. This is an outstanding idea and I am certain that the reason behind doing it speaks to my earlier post. I think the selection process is good to honor those who have shown outstanding competencies throughout the year the opportunity to call games at the state tournament at one of the most amazing venues in all of basketball.

  • Replies 43
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will not find many 8th or 10th region coaches that feel confident when they walk into a 9th region gym.

You will not find many 8th or 10th region coaches that feel confident when they walk into a 9th region gym.

 

And you won't find many 9th region coaches/players who feel confident when walking in an 8th or 10th region gym.

 

THREE worst games I've ever seen officiated came in a 10th region gym.

And you won't find many 9th region coaches/players who feel confident when walking in an 8th or 10th region gym.

 

THREE worst games I've ever seen officiated came in a 10th region gym.

 

 

Then why do we have to switch referees?

And you won't find many 9th region coaches/players who feel confident when walking in an 8th or 10th region gym.

 

THREE worst games I've ever seen officiated came in a 10th region gym.

 

Really????

If basketball officials from the 9th are anything like their football counterparts then look for very tightly called games with every little bit of the minutiae of the rule book being enforce.

If basketball officials from the 9th are anything like their football counterparts then look for very tightly called games with every little bit of the minutiae of the rule book being enforce.

 

If it's written in the book, then it isn't minutiae, it's a rule!

Whoever is getting the 12th region officials I feel sorry for you. Now there is a couple good ones but for the most part they are terrible!!

TOG brings up an interesting point. All officials are supposed to be applying the same rulebook. Which leads me to this...why do we have officials "assigned" to one specific region in the first place? I mean, if an official is close enough (and has no ties) to work the Boone County/Ryle game in Union, why couldn't he (or she) work the Simon Kenton/Walton-Verona game in Walton two days later? I'd think you could have officials that do games in Oldham or Shelby County go into Louisville (and vice versa) a whole lot easier than they could make the trip to Independence.

 

But, as it stands right now, even though there's the same rulebook, it seems certain regions "interpret" it in certain ways. And whether right or wrong, I do think it can be difficult for kids to adjust in those first round games...because what was/wasn't a foul for the entire regular season, now sudden isn't/is.

Really????

 

Agree. Give me the BBA officials any day (10th & 11th). Some of the best in the State IMO.

Officials in Lexington/Louisville are typically known for letting more go (how it is at State). NKY officials (9th especially) are more known for calling fairly tight. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, that's just their reputations.

TOG brings up an interesting point. All officials are supposed to be applying the same rulebook. Which leads me to this...why do we have officials "assigned" to one specific region in the first place? I mean, if an official is close enough (and has no ties) to work the Boone County/Ryle game in Union, why couldn't he (or she) work the Simon Kenton/Walton-Verona game in Walton two days later? I'd think you could have officials that do games in Oldham or Shelby County go into Louisville (and vice versa) a whole lot easier than they could make the trip to Independence.

 

But, as it stands right now, even though there's the same rulebook, it seems certain regions "interpret" it in certain ways. And whether right or wrong, I do think it can be difficult for kids to adjust in those first round games...because what was/wasn't a foul for the entire regular season, now sudden isn't/is.

 

First of all, some officials are part of an association, like the Bluegrass Basketball Association or a similar group in Louisville, and aren't assigned solely to one region. The BBA works both the 10th and 11th, and do a fine job.

 

Secondly, if I were guessing, officials are "assigned" because coaches get a certain number of scratches each year (refs that won't be allowed to ref their games) and because it gives consistency when the coaches rate them at the end of each year and the best refs from each region are chosen to work the boys and girls' state tournaments.

 

Aside from that, if there were no designations for regions, then there'd it'd be a very difficult process when it came to rating out the top ones, finding good officials to work games for two schools that weren't at or near the top of each region and/or keeping the checks and balances in the system as it currently stands.

 

I know some refs want to go on to the college game full time (while sometimes maybe getting some college games in addition to their high school slate), so I'm guessing those ratings are pretty important in the process of moving up through the ranks.

Are you saying you feel ALL 9th regions officials ref a fair game with no bias what-so-ever? Careful FOTR, you might have just fell into a trap and revealed your complete lack of understanding of how the officiating has been for a very very long time in the 9th. I will add that overall I feel the 9th region officials for the most part have a very good handle on the rules of the game. There are several refs that I am comfortable walking into a gym and seeing them on any given night. While there are others that you just know before the start of the game are going to homer-ed a time or two by. I have seen this for far to long.

I am saying that the officials who are chosen to work the regional tournament are the best we have and didn't get to that position by being homers or cronies of coaches.

Officials in Lexington/Louisville are typically known for letting more go (how it is at State). NKY officials (9th especially) are more known for calling fairly tight. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, that's just their reputations.

 

And that is why you play games around the Commonwealth and for CovCath at least in Ohio and Fla., that is to get use to how different stripes call the games.

 

In Florida, they call the games like those in Louisville and Lexington and let you play!

 

In Ohio it's like some of the Regions in Kentucky where the home teams get the calls!

 

In the Ky/Ind Challenge it was the Indiana stripes and they called IMHO the best game of the year, that I saw called.

 

If you just play in your Region, you are indeed in trouble, if and when you get the chance to play Rupp!

The 9th is very heavy at the top. Once you get away from the best five or six guys, who knows what you're going to get. The 8th, 10th & 11th have always been consistent. However, I think with the new assigner in the 9th, things will trend upward soon.

 

TOG is right, for once (JK), rules are rules. Some associations differ with their beliefs on enforcing certain rules, but if a charge is a charge in the 10th, it needs to be a charge in the 9th, etc. If a hand-check is hand-check in the 10th, it needs to be a hand-check in the 9th. The problem with swapping is that teams & coaches have adjusted their style to how the games are called. Wouldn't you want that same style in the regional? I like that there's no bias in the regional, but it's tough to change the way you play when the games are at their most importance.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.