Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should We Be An Eye For An Eye Society?

Featured Replies

An Ohio inmate was put to death this week with a new method. Apparently, it wasn't an instant death and the inmate struggled for quite a while before dying. Family watched in horror. Threatening lawsuit for cruel and unusual punishment.

 

A friend of mine posted on FB that since the guy was a rapist and a murderer he should suffer worse than he did.

 

Am I the only one that struggles with the eye-for-an-eye type of thinking?

 

What does it do for us ? Do you truly think it will be a deterrent to crime?

  • Replies 66
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to be 100% eye for an eye, string em all up and let them pay the ultimate price for their crime.

 

Their are some crimes so heinous that the death penalty doesn't bother me and maybe it should.

 

Now I'm more "Lock them up and throw away the key"

 

That said, if someone I loved was murdered or raped then I'm pretty sure I would support the DP.

 

It is easy to debate when it doesn't affect us directly...

I agree that capital punishment as carried out in the US does little to stop crime, I do think that it does give some people pause but in spur of the moment crimes there is little to no effect.

  • Author
I agree that capital punishment as carried out in the US does little to stop crime, I do think that it does give some people pause but in spur of the moment crimes there is little to no effect.

 

I've never thought that anyone who wants to commit a serious crime actually considers the consequences.

I've never thought that anyone who wants to commit a serious crime actually considers the consequences.

I don't think they do in most cases, but for instance I do think that the potential of an automatic DP does serve as a small deterrent to keep people from just having open season on Law Enforcement.

I have zero sympathy for any pain and suffering this guy went through while being put to death just as he had zero sympathy for the woman he murdered. I'm sure she suffered much more pain and suffering while being stabbed to death. No one said being put to death by the state wasn't going to hurt; they just said it wouldn't be a cruel and unusual punishment.

 

On the subject of the family of the inmate, what did you think it was going to be like to see him put to death? Things are not as they seem on television where everyone just closes their eyes and goes limp. I would never want to watch a loved one in that situation and have that as the last memory I have of them. Say your goodbyes beforehand and leave it at that.

 

The only problem I have with the death penalty is that it is not carried out as frequently as I'd like to see it done.

He put himself in that situation, I have no sympathy at all. I'm fine with the eye for an eye concept.

In my rant, I forgot to answer the actual question! I am more of a conventional type of death penalty person: electric chair, firing squad, lethal drugs.... I don't think the guy should have been raped and stabbed to death. Who do you put that burden on?

Eye for an eye here. No matter how they killed this guy, he lived longer than he should have.

It is not just to be a deterrent, but is used as a punishment. The guilty are suffering the consequences of their actions.

I've never thought that anyone who wants to commit a serious crime actually considers the consequences.

 

I'm against the death penalty in most cases, but I don't think the fact a punishment isn't a deterrent has any relevance. Punishment is to punish the guilty nothing more nothing less.

I'm against the death penalty in most cases, but I don't think the fact a punishment isn't a deterrent has any relevance. Punishment is to punish the guilty nothing more nothing less.

 

Good point, I can't think of any punishment in the history of our country that has actually stopped crime. You could give 20 years for shoplifting and there would be people doing it tomorrow just like there were today. As you said, Sentences are to punish the guilty.

I agree that capital punishment as carried out in the US does little to stop crime' date=' I do think that it does give some people pause but in spur of the moment crimes there is little to no effect.[/quote']

 

I guess it stops that specific person from committing any more crime...

Lock em up and throw away the key sounds ok, except that tax payers are on the hook for paying for his room, board, and health care for the rest of his life.

 

There are truly evil people in this world who have no regard for your life and the lives of those you love. I have no problem with the death penalty in certain situations.

 

I personally have no sympathy with how this man died. That fact that his family is considering suing reinforces that he came from equally quality people.

Lock em up and throw away the key sounds ok, except that tax payers are on the hook for paying for his room, board, and health care for the rest of his life.

 

There are truly evil people in this world who have no regard for your life and the lives of those you love. I have no problem with the death penalty in certain situations.

 

I personally have no sympathy with how this man died. That fact that his family is considering suing reinforces that he came from equally quality people.

 

We need an Escape from New York kind of prison.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.