January 2, 201412 yr I agree with you there, I just think committing to this guy for 7 years is a little over the top. It's the NFL, the deals are never as long as stated. If this were Baseball I could see being upset but I'd be shocked if more than 50-70% his deal was guaranteed.
January 2, 201412 yr Remember that the 7 years may be simply for cap reasons. He most likely never sees the end of the contract. It just allows the Bears to defer any part of a bonus he might get. I read his guaranteed money is $50M. That's why it's a 7 yr deal. Bears can count $7M per year against the cap.
January 2, 201412 yr What's the better alternative for winning next season? Great move for next season, and maybe a few more. But 7 seasons?
January 2, 201412 yr I read his guaranteed money is $50M. That's why it's a 7 yr deal. Bears can count $7M per year against the cap. Makes sense.
January 2, 201412 yr Great move for next season, and maybe a few more. But 7 seasons? Like Clyde said he probably doesn't see the end of the contract. This was all about NFL cap rules.
January 2, 201412 yr ... I'm the exact opposite of FutureCoach in terms of my feelings for Jay Cutler. Let me say up front I don't think the Bears had a choice. They have a running back in his prime and two of the most dynamic big receivers in the game. Their offense has great skill players, so to ask them to break in a rookie for 2 or 3 years would be hard. Likewise, to hope you find a gem on the free agent market is fools' gold as well. I know FutureCoach has all of his QBR / rating / Yards / TD numbers handy, but to me, he is a strong-armed guy that has questionable leadership qualities, can't stay healthy, and doesn't appear to make great decisions. I'm not big on comparisons because they are never spot-on, but I put him in a bucket as this generation's Jeff George. Cannon for an arm, huge upside, but for whatever reason, nothing ever clicks long-term. Maybe I'll eat my words and Cutler carries them consistently into the post-season, but I'll be shocked if that happens. Bears were in a tough spot and went with the devil-you-know approach...can't blame them.
January 2, 201412 yr ... I'm the exact opposite of FutureCoach in terms of my feelings for Jay Cutler. Let me say up front I don't think the Bears had a choice. They have a running back in his prime and two of the most dynamic big receivers in the game. Their offense has great skill players, so to ask them to break in a rookie for 2 or 3 years would be hard. Likewise, to hope you find a gem on the free agent market is fools' gold as well. I know FutureCoach has all of his QBR / rating / Yards / TD numbers handy, but to me, he is a strong-armed guy that has questionable leadership qualities, can't stay healthy, and doesn't appear to make great decisions. I'm not big on comparisons because they are never spot-on, but I put him in a bucket as this generation's Jeff George. Cannon for an arm, huge upside, but for whatever reason, nothing ever clicks long-term. Maybe I'll eat my words and Cutler carries them consistently into the post-season, but I'll be shocked if that happens. Bears were in a tough spot and went with the devil-you-know approach...can't blame them. I couldn't agree more. Most people who talk up Cutler bang on Dalton, but I'd much rather have Andy under center than Cutler. I see nothing, outside of a strong arm, that Cutler offers that Dalton doesn't.
January 2, 201412 yr I couldn't agree more. Most people who talk up Cutler bang on Dalton, but I'd much rather have Andy under center than Cutler. I see nothing, outside of a strong arm, that Cutler offers that Dalton doesn't. Cutler has played in the playoffs once in his career (2010), Andy will be playing in his 3rd (out of 3 years) this Sunday. Are there a million factors surrounding that, sure, but at the end of the day, I'll take it. Not to mention, for much of Cutler's Chicago career, aside from this year, Chicago has had an excellent and opportunistic defense. I can't quantify it beyond that, I'm just not a fan and I wouldn't want him leading my team. However, again, I realize the Bears had no choice.
January 2, 201412 yr This tells me we can expect a similar deal next season/offseason for Dalton... Probably a little better due to Dalton making the playoffs 3 years in a row. Cutler is 1 for 7 making playoffs. This made Dalton, Luck, Wilson, Kaepernick, and a few others 3-4 million more than they were going to get. Those teams almost have to sign them back.
January 2, 201412 yr This tells me we can expect a similar deal next season/offseason for Dalton... Probably a little better due to Dalton making the playoffs 3 years in a row. Cutler is 1 for 7 making playoffs. This made Dalton, Luck, Wilson, Kaepernick, and a few others 3-4 million more than they were going to get. Those teams almost have to sign them back. McCown said yesterday he is still evaluating. He and Lovie are pretty tight accoording to some writers.
January 2, 201412 yr Cutler is a 2nd/3rd tier mid-range QB and I don't think they had a choice as MTGL stated. He certainly has all the physical tools. Their only other real option was to franchise him at 16M and chance that he wouldn't report until Week 1. DT's and RB's can do that and play pretty quickly, QB's have to have the reps. he wouldn't be sharp until week 4-5. McCown is probably headed to Tampa, so they really had to sign him. A mid-range QB is acceptable if your"D" can play and you can run the ball. They can run it and up until this year could play "D" at a high level. He would have been signed some where else, no doubt, with at least this amount and maybe more. Think Browns, Jags, Texans, Jets (he is a Rex Ryan type of player and they would let Geno develop), etc. probably 1/3- 1/2 would strongly consider him.
January 2, 201412 yr Some of you guys really think Cutler isn't a good QB? From afar (don't really follow the Bears), I don't think he is a winner and I quesion how good a teammate he is.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.