Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bears give Cutler 7-year contract extension

Featured Replies

I don't like the deal, but it don't like the alternative of letting him walk either. Do you trust McKown enough to sign him to a dal- he is 34 and a stop gap at best, IMO. The Bears were victims of circumstance, IMO.

 

Didn't realize McCown was 34, but I would rather have him than a 30 year old Cutler in the short term. I just don't think a 7 year deal for either of them is a very good idea. Just wish I was getting paid the big buck to make that decision. :)

  • Replies 45
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the better alternative for winning next season?

I like Tressman as a coach. I'm thinking that, unless he said we must keep Cutler, I would have let him walk. I would have resigned McCown for 2 years and drafted a QB for Tressman to groom like AJ McCarron.

We should probably see terms of the deal too before we judge it too harshly. Maybe not a lot guaranteed or maybe it is easy to get out of?

 

Okay, he got a Romo- type deal. Resign McCown for fewer years and WAY less money and draft someone for Tressman to work with, IMO.

Edited by born2reign
Just saw terms of deal

What's the better alternative for winning next season?

 

I think what I said in post 18 might be a good alternative for next year based on how McCown did in his small sample.

McCown has been a backup for a reason. I would be leery of counting on him as a permanent starter.

This tells me we can expect a similar deal next season/offseason for Dalton...

McCown has been a backup for a reason. I would be leery of counting on him as a permanent starter.

 

He did show that he could win in that system with that team. He would have been a short term answer that provides the Bears some financial flexibility to address other concerns.

I think what I said in post 18 might be a good alternative for next year based on how McCown did in his small sample.

 

I'm pretty sure McCown has announced he is retiring after this season.

Seven years is too long but Cutler is still there best option. McCown at 34, no way. You have seen this scenario so many times where a backup comes in for half a year and does well then everyone gets enamored with him (see Flynn). They can still draft a QB if they want and maybe use McCown as trade bait as someone will bite probably.

Seven years is too long but Cutler is still there best option. McCown at 34, no way. You have seen this scenario so many times where a backup comes in for half a year and does well then everyone gets enamored with him (see Flynn). They can still draft a QB if they want and maybe use McCown as trade bait as someone will bite probably.

 

Remember that the 7 years may be simply for cap reasons. He most likely never sees the end of the contract. It just allows the Bears to defer any part of a bonus he might get.

Seven years is too long but Cutler is still there best option. McCown at 34, no way. You have seen this scenario so many times where a backup comes in for half a year and does well then everyone gets enamored with him (see Flynn). They can still draft a QB if they want and maybe use McCown as trade bait as someone will bite probably.

 

I don't think the Flynn reference would be fair. The Bears were a potential playoff team coming into this year. I don't think you could have said that in relation to the Raiders, JMO.

I'm pretty sure McCown has announced he is retiring after this season.

 

I haven't seen that as official, but maybe the Bears know something.

Seven years is too long but Cutler is still there best option. McCown at 34, no way. You have seen this scenario so many times where a backup comes in for half a year and does well then everyone gets enamored with him (see Flynn). They can still draft a QB if they want and maybe use McCown as trade bait as someone will bite probably.

 

Flynn still came in and won a game this year for Green Bay. I think it is a different scenario when you have played for the team as a backup. There is no guessing what McCown can do with the Bears; we saw it.

 

McCown is a free agent, btw. He can't be used as trade bait by the Bears.

I haven't seen that as official, but maybe the Bears know something.

 

Looked it up. You're right. Hasn't announced it but it is a possibility.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.