December 31, 201312 yr The situations aren't remotely comparable. I would despise the ground Coach K walks on but I wouldn't discredit his career at Duke and what he made Duke. This scenario isn't remotely comparable or plausible though. I think most UK fans give props for what Pitino did in the 90s. I rooted for those teams. Does not mean I have to like the coach of the rival school today. Pitino made his bed I don't feel sorry for him . His own actions and words have made it to easy to mock him.
December 31, 201312 yr Chanes suspension in the offseason. Did I say he wasn't suspended? No... I said they weren't kicked off the team, which they weren't at the time.
December 31, 201312 yr I would say some media members have a problem with Rick hand selecting the reporters who he meets outside the locker room so he can get favorable questions. Maybe like a guy he coauthored a book with. The fact he always does it , doesn't make it any less bush league. Every media member is free to meet Pitino post game outside the UL locker room. If they choose not to, that's on them...
December 31, 201312 yr Every media member is free to meet Pitino post game outside the UL locker room. If they choose not to, that's on them... I have no insight other than what I read on twitter from different media members. But it sounded to me like Pitino only let's certain media members know exactly when he will be outside the locker room and there is limited space compared to a conference room , so to say anyone can attend is a little flawed.
December 31, 201312 yr Every media member is free to meet Pitino post game outside the UL locker room. If they choose not to, that's on them... How dare you not put the blame on Rick...
December 31, 201312 yr How is it not comparable? I don't discredit Pitinos career at UK because he did great things. But 17 years ago is a long time, he's burned a lot of bridges in that time span with UK. Roy Williams played for UNC and is a part of The UNC Family. When he was a coach at Kansas he openly rooted for UNC. He hates Duke more than Matt Jones hates UL and Roy has hated Duke since at least 18 years of age. Hating Duke is what he does because he loves UNC. Coach K took a good Duke program and turned it into one of the greatest college basketball programs ever. Coach K is going to be the first men's Bball coach to win 1000 games and a large majority of those wins came while he is at Duke. Coach K not only hates UNC but he understands and lives by the code and hatred of that rivalry. Hating UNC is what he does because he loves Duke. Rick Pitino came to UK in the late 1980s and didn't stay a full decade if I am not mistaken. He left UK because he thought he would get Tim Duncan in the draft. He came to UL because he got fired from the Celtics and loved living in the state of Kentucky. He cared about quality of life and money. Not UK. He could not care less about UK and he obviously never hated UL. Situations aren't remotely comparable. Edited December 31, 201312 yr by PurplePride92
December 31, 201312 yr Every media member is free to meet Pitino post game outside the UL locker room. If they choose not to, that's on them... God you're such a Louisville homer. Get outta Rick's shorts. Also, maybe you shouldn't run everything you hear by Tom Jurich.
December 31, 201312 yr God you're such a Louisville homer. Get outta Rick's shorts. Also, maybe you shouldn't run everything you hear by Tom Jurich. :lol2: This is good stuff.
December 31, 201312 yr Marcus Hall did not play in the MSU game per UMs call you make it so easy Woody... try to check your facts before just throwing stuff out hoping it sticks. So I guess that makes UM the reverse Pitino, says he won't suspend a player but after thinking it through he does suspend a player for a championship game. What the hell are you talking about? What did I throw against the wall and what am I making easy?
December 31, 201312 yr Author So you are upset he didn't change what he does for EVERY road game because he was at Rupp. Funny... No, I'm upset that he doesn't do it at all, no matter what arena it's in. Like I said, it's unprofessional. I want to be an attorney. All male attorneys wear ties to court. If I show up without one after I've won a few cases even though everyone else still has to wear one, even when some don't want to, because I think I'm that special, then I understand why people would see me as arrogant even though I'm accomplished. Same situation here. I'm sure there are tons of coaches, probably some just as accomplished as Rick, who'd rather not go do the post-game presser at the podium, but they suck it up and do it anyway. It's practically in the job description. You seem to want to project some kind of hate for Pitino on me, but I'd think the same thing about Calipari if he did the same thing. I was someone who, as a UK fan, was not happy to hear about Gillispie blowing off boosters at events. It was unprofessional and alienated the part of the fan base that is most important.
December 31, 201312 yr Roy Williams played for UNC and is a part of The UNC Family. When he was a coach at Kansas he openly rooted for UNC. He hates Duke more than Matt Jones hates UL and Roy has hated Duke since at least 18 years of age. Hating Duke is what he does because he loves UNC. Coach K took a good Duke program and turned it into one of the greatest college basketball programs ever. Coach K is going to be the first men's Bball coach to win 1000 games and a large majority of those wins came while he is at Duke. Coach K not only hates UNC but he understands and lives by the code and hatred of that rivalry. Hating UNC is what he does because he loves Duke. Rick Pitino came to UK in the late 1980s and didn't stay a full decade if I am not mistaken. He left UK because he thought he would get Tim Duncan in the draft. He came to UL because he got fired from the Celtics and loved living in the state of Kentucky. He cared about quality of life and money. Not UK. He could not care less about UK and he obviously never hated UL. Situations aren't remotely comparable. Ok I see what you mean. I was talking more in a general sense. If your oer coach goes to a rival school your not going to like him, and I'd argue it even adds more fuel to the fire. Also if Pitino never really cared about UK why should I care about Pitino?
December 31, 201312 yr Author Every media member is free to meet Pitino post game outside the UL locker room. If they choose not to, that's on them... Not exactly. Aside from letting those close to him know when he'll be out, journalists basically have to make a choice: cover the home team, which my customer base is far more interested in on the whole, or leave and cover Pitino and miss out on my own team's coach. I think your personal bias against UK fans is stronger than the supposed bias against Rick Pitino that you are trying to project onto them. I can respect what Pitino did for UK and accomplished there but still think he's a guy who comes off as arrogant because of things like this. He's a guy who either thinks he's entitled to do things like this because he's more something (whether it be special, entitled, etc.) than everyone else or he doesn't care enough to offer up a reasonable explanation for why he's so different. Did he do a post game press conference after he won a national title or did he do that one outside of the locker room as well?
December 31, 201312 yr No, I'm upset that he doesn't do it at all, no matter what arena it's in. Like I said, it's unprofessional. I want to be an attorney. All male attorneys wear ties to court. If I show up without one after I've won a few cases even though everyone else still has to wear one, even when some don't want to, because I think I'm that special, then I understand why people would see me as arrogant even though I'm accomplished. Same situation here. I'm sure there are tons of coaches, probably some just as accomplished as Rick, who'd rather not go do the post-game presser at the podium, but they suck it up and do it anyway. It's practically in the job description. You seem to want to project some kind of hate for Pitino on me, but I'd think the same thing about Calipari if he did the same thing. I was someone who, as a UK fan, was not happy to hear about Gillispie blowing off boosters at events. It was unprofessional and alienated the part of the fan base that is most important. Is it in the job description or is it "practically" in the job description? Coaches aren't obligated to do anything post game with the media, and I say that as someone that has been in the media half my life. Great if they do, I'll still get my job done if they don't...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.