Ashland chooses not to play Rose Hill in 2006-2007

Bird33

Thoughts:

1. Ashland didn't schedule Rose Hill prior to seeding because Rose Hill offered very little competition. Nothing was to be gained by either team. It was a good policy for both schools.

2. During the years of seeding, Rose Hill was really only competitive (an understatement) during the 2001-2002 and the 2002-2003 seasons. Of course, Ashland preferred to take two forfeits (forfeits have apparently been prominent in this rivalry) for seeding purposes rather than play Rose Hill in the 2002-2003 season. Whether it was principle, as claimed, or fear of defeat, as most believe, is open to interpretation.

3. Rose Hill was not approached about scheduling Ashland this season. Ashland completed its schedule without considering Rose Hill which was its choice. I assume it was because of the "principle" angle. Nonetheless, I doubt Rose Hill would have scheduled Ashland anyway.

4. The "forfeit defense" for not scheduling next season, or thereafter, is transparent at best. It is similar to the "principle defense". However, I firmly agree. I think it is best for the two schools to completely ignore each other except when required by tournament draw or league requirements (middle school) to play. That should apply to all sports.

5. There is no reason to play the freshman championship game. Ashland has already claimed victory and cut down the nets. Their AD and boosters would never allow it. On the other hand, the tainted championship has not come without damage. Rose Hill actually gained by "losing" and I believe most independent observers felt sure Rose Hill would win handily. Therefore, neither would benefit from playing the game.

6. Onetoya makes a plea to "just get along". It is a gallant thought but that isn't going to happen. The mutual distrust runs too deep. To use a common expression, far too many bridges have been burned. The kids from both schools will get along fine. However, that will not extend beyond the students.

7. AT41 has, I suppose, publicly announced Ashland's decision to cut off association. I understand that Rose Hill had already made that decision several days ago. However, it felt no need for a public announcement. As I said, I firmly support the decision and have openly advocated it.

8. The real loser in a mutual pact of disassociation will be BGP. Think how many threads will never see the light of day. Nevertheless, because of the mutual impasse, we will still see derrogatory statements, pointed and veiled, from both camps. It just goes along with the territory.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the most respect and admiration in the world for Mike Flynn....who in my opinion is a top notch coach and person, Ashland is very lucky to have him there...so in no way do my "thoughts on why Ashland would elect not to play Rose Hill" have anything to do with my impressions of Mike Flynn. With that said, I find it nearly mind boggling (And perhaps I do not know the full story), to think that Ashland P.B. would elect to NOT play RH simply because they had to forfeit the measley Freshman AIT. Granted some bits and pieces of information that I've come across, I simply find it shady? Couldn't think of a better word...maybe that was a poor choice.

Could somebody enlighten me on the exact reasons Ashland P.B. admin's want to negate the "play" of their district foe?

I agree, the districts should be seeded. The regular season should determine who you play during the year. But you will also agree seeding doesn't ensure that Ashland would schedule RH, remember 2002-2003?

Other issues were on the table at that point and time, and NO it wasn't just OJ. There is a now a by-law being considered by the KHSAA that would have made the 02-03 situation mute. I'll leave it at that unless we dig up the past.

How do you know that they are afraid to play Rose Hill? Did you talk to a player or a coach who said they were scared? I know for a fact that the players on the Tomcat freshman team would have loved to silence the critics and play them. By the way, the key words in that sentence about Rose Hill beating Ashland last year is "last year." A lot can change in a year.

I saw Ashland play in the AIT. They have not gotten any better. They are not near as good as they were last year with Bonner playing.

I am sure that Coach Euton would love to play Ashland's freshmen team with or with out Bonner. Why don't you get your players and parents together and go to your AD and lets reschedule the game. Maybe its because you don't want your record to become 19-3.

Rose Hill's freshmen team would beat you by as much as Coach Euton let them. I don't think they would beat you any worse then they beat Verity's 8th grade team at Verity. 48 :jump:

If they do vote to seed and don't play then they should be considered forfeits. The district should seed, and Rose Hill should vote to seed with the team that they are building. Blind draws are gutless and voting for a blind draw only means that you don't have any confidence in your teams ability to win and just hiope that you can escape with a "good draw".

I saw Ashland play in the AIT. They have not gotten any better. They are not near as good as they were last year with Bonner playing.

I am sure that Coach Euton would love to play Ashland's freshmen team with or with out Bonner. Why don't you get your players and parents together and go to your AD and lets reschedule the game. Maybe its because you don't want your record to become 19-3.

Rose Hill's freshmen team would beat you by as much as Coach Euton let them. I don't think they would beat you any worse then they beat Verity's 8th grade team at Verity. 48 :jump:

All I have to say is why would YOU post this :confused:

You were not around when I said this the last time BUT things that are not built on a solid foundation are sure to fall.....

Besides I haven't read ONE post on this thread as negative as yours.....HATE hasn't and will not make a good leader so blast Ashland all you want we'll take what is coming and figure it out in the wash....Envy is the down fall of many....And you know what I hate to say that but I see nothing but that in your posts Bird33 :rolleyes:

Thoughts:

6. Onetoya makes a plea to "just get along". It is a gallant thought but that isn't going to happen. The mutual distrust runs too deep. To use a common expression, far too many bridges have been burned. The kids from both schools will get along fine. However, that will not extend beyond the students.

Sounds like some adults need to grow up at both Ashland and RH! When RH first became a school and for years after, Ashland had no problem playing them and picking up their wins! But I guess by not playing it allows the adults at both schools to be able to say that they are better than the other and to continue their grudge match!

If they do vote to seed and don't play then they should be considered forfeits. The district should seed, and Rose Hill should vote to seed with the team that they are building. Blind draws are gutless and voting for a blind draw only means that you don't have any confidence in your teams ability to win and just hiope that you can escape with a "good draw".

We drew this year and from what I understand it will stay the same if the vote ends in a tie.

Here are the votes this year:

Votes to Draw = Fairview, Rose Hill

Votes to seed = Boyd Co., Ashland

Now go figure????

We drew this year and from what I understand it will stay the same if the vote ends in a tie.

Now go figure????

Obviously RH and Fairview have little confidence in the future of their programs!

Onetoya, you are a good man. However, you display one of Ashland's most grating characteristics. You think everyone envies you. Actually, the old adage of being a legend in your own mind really applies to you guys. I am impressed with the basketball tradition of old Ashland High School. However, that doesn't extend to PGB. I can understand why you wouldn't want anyone to know that your eighth grade lost at home by 48 particularly when the implication was that it could have been much worse. We just need to agree to disassociate. Ashland basketball at all levels will benefit from this far more than Rose Hill over the next few years.

Now go figure????

Exactly like I said, and I will always stand by that, it is gutless to draw. Why not be men about it and hope to make it by getting a good draw. Prepare your team to be the best and if youare not the best, prepare your team to pull an upset. But most of all, do it with class instead of cowardice!!!