Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How many teams in Ohio could beat.....

Featured Replies

Let's run down the competition for BG for "best team in KY" THIS year...

 

Trinity - Barely beat Manual...BG was up 35-7 at half of their scrimmage with Manual, and it wasn't even that close...then they lost to Male...

 

Male - Lost to Manual...see note above

 

Highlands - Do I need to go through the stats from the Warren Central game? No matter if Highlands was playing kids from the Jr. Pro League, if you give up the all-time most yards in KY state history in a game, you uh, do not get to call yourself the best team in KY that year...

 

Scott Co. - They are the only team I think that has a case that can't be disputed by a common opponent or basic arithmetic...they're claim will be tested in the 6A playoffs when they have to play T, X, or Male.

 

Great! What's that have to do with the topic?

  • Replies 80
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if X doesn't win state, Bg is still the best team in the state this year. Bingo to the bolded.

 

 

 

 

That's the problem, people keep using history to assess this one season, when that isn't how it works.

 

 

On the first, I was being a little sarcastic, and also being honest in that BG may be the best in the state this year, but I haven't seen them.

 

To the second, I think high school football is actually the easiest sport in the world to use history to assess future results. Obvious exceptions do apply, but the same schools keep dominating the state year after year after year after year....

I understand where you are coming from.....but gee the NKy teams have to travel to WKU to play in the State Title games and the Cincinnati teams being mentioned in this thread are only about 10 to 15 miles farther North of the Ohio River and if CovCath can travel to Henderson County and HHS can Travel to Paducah, why can't BG travel to Cincinnati, Ohio?

 

They can. Sandman doesn't speak for anyone associated with the BG program so don't take his assumptions as official word from BG.

 

Completely correct that I'm not speaking as anyone associated with BG. Thought I came to a relatively easy conclusion though. BG has a lot of choices closer to them than traveling all the way to Cincinnati. And, I think most Cincinnati schools realize they also have plenty of choices available closer than BG.

 

The statement was totally based on geography. Is there something in the works between BG and a Cincinnati school?

Thaty is the problem a lot of people do when it comes to High School sports, they use hisotry as their basis which can end up belittling the teams being talked about. This is High School sports, unless you are a Fairview, your players on a team are only their 4 years. What happened in the past has very little to do with the present. St X or Trinity may have been great in the past, but they don't have those players this year which makes it silly in a way to base opinions off the past.

 

Even if you want to use the past, BG is unbeaten now in 3 consecutive regular seasons and in the last 2 post seasons as they are defending 2 time champions going for their 3rd in a row this year. They have beat whoever they have faced and have a in streak of 39 games in a row. Based on history, they seem to be the best in the state. Based on this years team they are deffinatley the best in the state. I find it very odd that some people will put a 4 or 5 loss team in front of an undefeated team thhat has also arguably played a very tough schedule.

BG #1 no questions asked.

 

I'd say read post 62, and that sums up me using history as a guide when asking if BG is even the best team in the state this year, but I will go a bit further. Obviously, if you did read post 62, you understand my initial premise. X and T have 30 something titles between them, so most year's I'll assume they're better than most teams. Highlands has 20 something titles, so most years they must be pretty good.

 

I get BG is on a roll the last few years, and also know they have historically been a pretty good program. Didn't mean to slight them, though I can't see where I did. Maybe they are the best team in the state, maybe not. I'm not going to decide they are because someone on here told me they are.

I'd say read post 62, and that sums up me using history as a guide when asking if BG is even the best team in the state this year, but I will go a bit further. Obviously, if you did read post 62, you understand my initial premise. X and T have 30 something titles between them, so most year's I'll assume they're better than most teams. Highlands has 20 something titles, so most years they must be pretty good.

 

I get BG is on a roll the last few years, and also know they have historically been a pretty good program. Didn't mean to slight them, though I can't see where I did. Maybe they are the best team in the state, maybe not. I'm not going to decide they are because someone on here told me they are.

 

I went and read post 62 and it does clear up a little. I will only say that going off of history tends to ignore the facts of a team at the current time. You'd still take Trinity because of their history even though they have 5 losses etc. Sorry, that just doesn't make much sense.

 

BG is a very very good team this year.

Completely correct that I'm not speaking as anyone associated with BG. Thought I came to a relatively easy conclusion though. BG has a lot of choices closer to them than traveling all the way to Cincinnati. And, I think most Cincinnati schools realize they also have plenty of choices available closer than BG.

 

The statement was totally based on geography. Is there something in the works between BG and a Cincinnati school?

 

I have no clue. My affiliation with the program begins and ends as a fan. I have no current ties into the program to be able to answer that question without speculation.

I'd say read post 62, and that sums up me using history as a guide when asking if BG is even the best team in the state this year, but I will go a bit further. Obviously, if you did read post 62, you understand my initial premise. X and T have 30 something titles between them, so most year's I'll assume they're better than most teams. Highlands has 20 something titles, so most years they must be pretty good.

 

I get BG is on a roll the last few years, and also know they have historically been a pretty good program. Didn't mean to slight them, though I can't see where I did. Maybe they are the best team in the state, maybe not. I'm not going to decide they are because someone on here told me they are.

 

You used St. X as an example and most X fans will tell you that no team defeated them in the manner that BG did this season. That list of teams X played this year includes Moeller, Trinity, Male, Cincy St. X and Manual just to name a few teams they faced this season. I'm not taking your words as a slight to BG but if there are any people you should listen to when assessing this year's BG team it is the people from St. X.

On the first, I was being a little sarcastic, and also being honest in that BG may be the best in the state this year, but I haven't seen them.

 

To the second, I think high school football is actually the easiest sport in the world to use history to assess future results. Obvious exceptions do apply, but the same schools keep dominating the state year after year after year after year....

 

To the first, that's why I think your answer isn't that credible.

 

To the second, I understand that and that's mostly true. But as you said there are exceptions and this year is one of them.

I went and read post 62 and it does clear up a little. I will only say that going off of history tends to ignore the facts of a team at the current time. You'd still take Trinity because of their history even though they have 5 losses etc. Sorry, that just doesn't make much sense.

 

BG is a very very good team this year.

 

History is a better predictor of results in high school football than any other sport is my main point. That aside, I get their are exceptions, and I'm not ignoring the facts of any current team. I know in any given year a school can have a great class and be really good. I doubt they can be best in state good, but it has happened.

 

I'm not taking Trinity solely on history, and actually I'm not necessarily taking Trinity. I don't know who the best team in the state is. I know what the consensus seems to be, but that doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Back to the topic, I'm also saying it may be Trinity based on their schedule. They've lost, but they've lost to another level of teams than BG has played. That goes into account. Highlands has a loss, but it was to a very good team.

 

I took several things into account, history being only one of them. I'm seven posts into what is really a frivolous thread, because there are going to be six state champions so I'm not sure why we care who is the best.

You used St. X as an example and most X fans will tell you that no team defeated them in the manner that BG did this season. That list of teams X played this year includes Moeller, Trinity, Male, Cincy St. X and Manual just to name a few teams they faced this season. I'm not taking your words as a slight to BG but if there are any people you should listen to when assessing this year's BG team it is the people from St. X.

 

To the first, that's why I think your answer isn't that credible.

 

To the second, I understand that and that's mostly true. But as you said there are exceptions and this year is one of them.

 

 

To PP92, I get that the consensus here is BG is the best team in the state. They may be, and comments from X and T fans do carry some weight with me. I think by saying I used history to determine BG may not be the best team in the state ruffled some feathers and had people ready to proclaim me an idiot. I used history, comparision of schedules, and week in week competition (it's much harder to get up for a big game when you have one every week, as Trinity seems to.)

 

If T wins 6A, I'll probably consider them the best team in the state. That will only be my opinion, if X wins 6A, I'll almost certainly consider BG the best team in the state. That will only be my opinion.

 

To AT, I get your point on the first. It's valid. But, to be honest, a ton of posts are made about players and teams that the poster has never seen. And, frankly, there are a lot of posts made after someone has seen a team, and they still have either no idea what they are watching or are too blinded by their own agenda to make a rational observation. I almost never post if any of the above is true, which is why I admitted up front I haven't seen BG play. And, as a disclaimer, not calling anyone in the thread out on the poster remarks either.

 

To the second, Louisville posters especially T and X posters, usually get my ear and you have it. I hear what you are saying, and I know there are exceptions. But, I'm still in wait and see mode.

If you go to calpreps.com , you can project a match up. Here are some of the scores I got:

 

(All games being played on a neutral field)

 

Colerain, OH 40 Bowling Green 31 (#1 Division I)

St Edward, OH 42 Bowling Green 28 (#2 Division I)

Moeller, OH 35 Bowling Green 21 (#3 Division I)

Hilliard Davidson, OH 31 Bowling Green 28 (#4 Division I)

Menton, OH 35 Bowling Green 28 (#7 Division I)

St Ignatius, OH 30 Bowling Green 28 (#9 Division I)

St Xavier, OH 26 Bowling Green 21 (Un-ranked top 10 Division I)

Elder, OH 27 Bowling Green 26 (#10 Division I)

Loveland, OH 31 Bowling Green 28 (#1 Division II)

St Vincent-St Mary, OH 31 Bowling Green 28 (#1 Division III)

Kenton, OH 31 Bowling Green 28 (#1 Division IV)

 

 

Bowling Green 31 Winton Woods, OH 28 (#6 Division II)

Bowling Green 27 Austintown-Fitch, OH 27 (#5 Division I)

Bowling Green 31 Pickerington North, OH 28 (#6 Division I)

Bowling Green 38 Canton McKinley, OH 22 (#8 Division I)

Bowling Green 62 Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy 0 (#1 Division V)

 

Obviously these are all computer projections. I personally think BG would have a tough time competing with the top teams in DI and possibly even DII but could be successful against the bottom half of the top 10 of each division.

If you go to calpreps.com , you can project a match up. Here are some of the scores I got:

 

(All games being played on a neutral field)

 

Colerain, OH 40 Bowling Green 31 (#1 Division I)

St Edward, OH 42 Bowling Green 28 (#2 Division I)

Moeller, OH 35 Bowling Green 21 (#3 Division I)

Hilliard Davidson, OH 31 Bowling Green 28 (#4 Division I)

Menton, OH 35 Bowling Green 28 (#7 Division I)

St Ignatius, OH 30 Bowling Green 28 (#9 Division I)

St Xavier, OH 26 Bowling Green 21 (Un-ranked top 10 Division I)

Elder, OH 27 Bowling Green 26 (#10 Division I)

Loveland, OH 31 Bowling Green 28 (#1 Division II)

St Vincent-St Mary, OH 31 Bowling Green 28 (#1 Division III)

Kenton, OH 31 Bowling Green 28 (#1 Division IV)

 

 

Bowling Green 31 Winton Woods, OH 28 (#6 Division II)

Bowling Green 27 Austintown-Fitch, OH 27 (#5 Division I)

Bowling Green 31 Pickerington North, OH 28 (#6 Division I)

Bowling Green 38 Canton McKinley, OH 22 (#8 Division I)

Bowling Green 62 Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy 0 (#1 Division V)

 

Obviously these are all computer projections. I personally think BG would have a tough time competing with the top teams in DI and possibly even DII but could be successful against the bottom half of the top 10 of each division.

 

Same computer said Blackman would defeat Bowling Green also. Those computers don't work too well.

A few other scores I got...take them FWIW.

 

Highlands 36 Bowling Green 35

Scott County 36 Bowling Green 35

Bowling Green 31 Trinity 26

Bowling Green 35 St Xavier 28

Bowling Green 31 Male 30

Bowling Green 35 Manual 24

Bowling Green 38 Simon Kenton 27

Bowling Green 42 Johnson Central 31

Bowling Green 44 Caldwell Co 28

Bowling Green 42 Mayfield 26

Bowling Green 44 Lexington Catholic 21

Same computer said Blackman would defeat Bowling Green also. Those computers don't work too well.

 

It was a 1 pt difference....BG won by 1 pt. I wouldn't say they are that far off. 2 pts is pretty close.

 

Blackman was projected to win 28-27.

If BG is truly the best team in the state this year, here is another interesting score I got:

 

2012 Trinity 34 2013 Bowling Green 21

2012 Highlands 38 2013 Bowling Green 35

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.