Class 2A Rankings for 10-1

theguru

Personally, I put more stock in Caldwells win over Desales last year on the road than Desales win over JHARDIN this year in determining rank. It's be different if there was a big roster turnover, but, in this case, there isn't. I do think this weeks big win over Bardstown is ultimately what leapfrogged Desales, but, not sure B'Town is any better than Union Co or Ballard, for that matter. Both those teams are pretty decent. Also, not sure Fr Campbell has taken a step down, just because they lost big to McCracken. They're as good as JHARDIN, possibly better. I also don't put a lot of stock in JHARDIN being #2 in 5a, because, honestly, it's BG and a bunch of mediocre teams in 5a this year, probably as weak as its ever been and the main reason for.that ranking is because they didn't get hammered by Highlands, but neither did PT and I think Caldwell would beat them by more than what HHS beat them by. Outside of that close loss, what does JHARDIN have on its résumé that garners such a high ranking. I'd say nothing, but, neither does anyone else in 5a. WCentral is another win that looks better than it really is. Had they beat then last year or the year before, it'd been a lot more impressive. This year, just an average win, Madisonville beat WC by as much as Desales did, and they've since been the victims of a running clock, more than once since.

I'm sorry, but the justification can't be off a loss for Desales last season. One season can change a lot, and I'll stick to my expertise to prove a point. NewCath back in 2009-2010 had a really bad season for NCC standards. They finished 7-6 in Brady Hightchew's first ever season at QB and lost to Desales in the playoffs pretty handily. That team lost the majority of their offensive line and brought back a group even better on the O-Line, and literally every position. Just saying, players step up, surprises happen. For example, in 2009-2010 they lost to Ryle 45-0. Pretty bad. They come back in 2010-2011 and play Ryle, play their second worst game of the year and lose 27-7 with about 3-4 TO's. That's the same Ryle team that beat Highlands and gave Trinity a game for a while. But yeah, if you go based on a result last year, it could be a REALLY bad mistake for you.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'all aren't paying attention or just not reading the entire post. If you'll notice I said I give it more credibility because of what they both return from last year. Unlike WCentral, who's a shell of itself from last year, My point was WCs body of work this year isn't anything to brag about, thus giving a lot of credit for it may be a little overblown. The JHARDIN win was solid, but, ill ask again, with exception to losing a close game to Highlands, what on there resume stands out? Even the final score vs HHS is somewhat misleading, as JHARDIN never really threatened to win that game, coming back from a 27-7 deficit late to give the impression it was nip & tuck throughout and that wasn't the case.

Because they're basically the same teams as they were last year. What's hard about that? Doesn't head to head games say more about 2 teams that beating other teams with no common opponents? I'm not discrediting this years games, just giving last years some credence. To me it's as relevant as trying to compare schedules that are pretty similar. JHARDIN is better than any team CC has beaten, but, according to lit rankings the avg schedule rank is similar. I think both teams are really good 2a teams, but, I'd give CC a slight edge.

Y'all aren't paying attention or just not reading the entire post. If you'll notice I said I give it more credibility because of what they both return from last year. Unlike WCentral, who's a shell of itself from last year, My point was WCs body of work this year isn't anything to brag about, thus giving a lot of credit for it may be a little overblown. The JHARDIN win was solid, but, ill ask again, with exception to losing a close game to Highlands, what on there resume stands out? Even the final score vs HHS is somewhat misleading, as JHARDIN never really threatened to win that game, coming back from a 27-7 deficit late to give the impression it was nip & tuck throughout and that wasn't the case.

I have been reading what you are saying and to be up front, I disagree with about everything you have said and none of it makes a whole lot of sense to me. But anyway, the one point I will make is that yes, Highlands was up at one point 27-6 on John, but once John's offense finally got on track and they started to physically impose their will on the offense side of the ball, my sense was that Highlands was not going to stop them the rest of the night from scoring. While the game was not nip and tuck, I would be shocked if the Highlands fans weren't at least a bit worried when John tried the onside kick. Maybe a Highlands fan can correct me but it seemed the tide had kind of turned at that point. And saying Fort Campbell is as good as John Hardin is a complete joke and ruins your credibility on this subject for me.

I don't know anything about Caldwell. I will say that I saw Desales when they lost to Bardstown last season, and again when they crushed Bardstown this season. Bardstown is somewhat less deep than they were last season but have many of the same players and are still a good team. The difference between last year Desales and this year Desales is remarkable. Their level of improvement has been tremendous, particularly in the trenches. 19 seniors and all of them brawlers. Take that for what it is worth.

Hearing that DeSales improved in the trenches is great news, cause the same Tigers that pushed them all over Fairdale Field in the semis last year are waiting for them in Princeton this year too, should both team make it that deep into the playoffs.

Some of you guys need to cut DreamKiller some slack. He's under a lot of pressure because his Atlanta Braves are in the playoffs and are going to disappoint him AGAIN this year! :lol:

Go Cardinals! :thumb:

Also, everyone's invited to Princeton for this big DeSales-Caldwell semifinal! I just hope neither team overlooks anyone before then.

I wasn't making any predictions and I'm certainly not taking sides. I haven't even ever seen Caldwell County. It sounds like they have a prolific air attack, which in turn requires consistent pass blocking. However, I've watched a lot of football over the years and Desales was an extremely impressive football team at the 2A level. If Caldwell is able to keep Desales' aggressive defenders off of their QB long enough to get receivers open, then they truly will deserve a state title trophy.

Incidentally, Stefan Lefors and CAL are no pushover, either.

Caldwell County should be #1 because of the kids that go out there and suit up for their PUBLIC high school every week. They are looking at their schedule each week and taking care of that team. Then they move on to the next opponent. If for no other reason, vote Caldwell County #1 for the kids! DO IT FOR THE KIDS!!!!!!

guru,

DO IT FOR THE KIDS!!!!!

signed,

DK

Ummmmmm........well, as we used to say in the Army, "Son, you just stepped on your "ding-a-ling".

I know you talk with LB13 a lot...and I'm relatively sure you were just kidding, but dude, you just HAD to know that would earn you a few "enemies".

I wasn't making any predictions and I'm certainly not taking sides. I haven't even ever seen Caldwell County. It sounds like they have a prolific air attack, which in turn requires consistent pass blocking. However, I've watched a lot of football over the years and Desales was an extremely impressive football team at the 2A level. If Caldwell is able to keep Desales' aggressive defenders off of their QB long enough to get receivers open, then they truly will deserve a state title trophy.

Incidentally, Stefan Lefors and CAL are no pushover, either.

They could pull off another Covington Holy Cross-type shocker this year because of all of the attention Caldwell and DeSales are getting. I've said all along not to sleep on the Centurions

They could pull off another Covington Holy Cross-type shocker this year because of all of the attention Caldwell and DeSales are getting. I've said all along not to sleep on the Centurions

Don't remind me of this "painful" moment in NewCath football history. The Breds could be sitting with a "hat trick" and going for the "golden sombrero" :cry:

Some of you guys need to cut DreamKiller some slack. He's under a lot of pressure because his Atlanta Braves are in the playoffs and are going to disappoint him AGAIN this year! :lol:

Go Cardinals! :thumb:

I'll be just fine. The Braves will beat the Dodgers. Go Braves!