Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How Big Is KY High School Basketball- Really?

Featured Replies

Sorry my mind wasn't working that quick.

  • Replies 46
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things could of changed since my day . But all 35th district games used to always be packed regardless of record.I think its a school by school thing. I will tell you this living in metro Detroit. I'll put the atmosphere of Detroit public school league against anyone . A co-worker of mine played at Pershing the Detroit public power house and he takes me to games. Just wow. But it may also fall into the eky reasons being listed. People in the city don't have much else.

To each his/her own as both are fine games.

 

My personal tradition and history keeps me more pumped for basketball than anything else. When I think of attending high school basketball games, I think of being right on top of the action, seeing player's reactions and emotions, observing everything that is going on, as it is fairly easy to do so, as well as a comfortable temperature controlled environment during colder months with limited distractions from other activities gaining my attention. With basketball, I can find interest at any level, boys or girls. I'll find reason to nibble on my nails no matter who is playing at any age.

 

With high school football, as exciting as it may be, I think of helmeted covered heads that does not allow much other than a generic take on who's who, a cluster of action that you observe from a certain distance considering the field size that contributes as well to a no-face, not close enough to the action for me pile up.

 

Sure, there's a few stand out players that you can become aware of and your eyes adjusted to, but in general it a repetitive pile up of a messy no-face generic cluster.

 

As the majority of the season takes place during the still late summer, early fall months, there's a lot of other activities still happening throughout the area that holds my attention far more. Then in the later part of the season when either colder or wet conditions take over, I've no interest in braving them. Call me a wimp, but I like to be comfortable. I'll follow the scores throughout the season to appease to my limited interest, and keep an eye on who wins state.

 

Again to each his/her own, but I'd rather watch football on the tele. I've had friends, because of their undying love and tradition for the game, year after year never miss their beloved Dayton Greendevils go 2-8, season after season, while annoyingly and incessantly shaking their coin filled milk jugs to the point of insanity. The insanity part is my reaction, mind you, as it's their idea of fun and excitement. :eek:

Basketball is by far bigger in my neck of the woods. The county where I was born and still live, Owsley, has never had football. So basketball is king.

There's a pocket of counties around or close to Owsley that also don't have football: Lee, Wolfe, Menifee. I don't believe Elliott has football either. Owsley's neighbor Jackson County only started football about 5 years ago.

I suppose the 14th region, which Owsley is a member, will always be more basketball oriented than football. It's just the way it is. That's probably true for most mountain schools.

Basketball is by far bigger in my neck of the woods. The county where I was born and still live, Owsley, has never had football. So basketball is king.

There's a pocket of counties around or close to Owsley that also don't have football: Lee, Wolfe, Menifee. I don't believe Elliott has football either. Owsley's neighbor Jackson County only started football about 5 years ago.

I suppose the 14th region, which Owsley is a member, will always be more basketball oriented than football. It's just the way it is. That's probably true for most mountain schools.

 

With a few exceptions (Belfry, Breathitt, Bell come to mind), I'd say you're right.

I think we live in one of those pockets.

 

That may be true. B-ball has always been bigger at Pendleton, Bracken, Augusta (obviously), etc. Football is pretty daggone popular here at Mason County.

 

I'm first and foremost a Friday Night Lights guy.

That may be true. B-ball has always been bigger at Pendleton, Bracken, Augusta (obviously), etc. Football is pretty daggone popular here at Mason County.

 

I'm first and foremost a Friday Night Lights guy.

 

Football is growing on me, too.

20,000+ go to Rupp in March to watch a game. If it's not T v. X, you won't see 20,000+ in December at WKU or Papa Johns.

Football is growing on me, too.

 

Where I grew up, football was king in high school. Huge homecoming activities, bonfire the night before the game (where I learned that I could fit 11 people in my mom's Mustang ragtop), etc. Basketball was an afterthought. Even though basketball in the city (Baltimore) and the next closest city (DC) was huge.

 

Heck, lacrosse was a bigger sport at our high school, what with having a member of the lacrosse HOF as the head coach.

 

Heck, my letter was in wrestling. The "other" winter sport.

 

Heck, even the wife, who didn't know the first thing about football when we met, is a convert.

20,000+ go to Rupp in March to watch a game. If it's not T v. X, you won't see 20,000+ in December at WKU or Papa Johns.

 

Best and most eye-opening post on the thread.

  • Author
20,000+ go to Rupp in March to watch a game. If it's not T v. X, you won't see 20,000+ in December at WKU or Papa Johns.

 

It's a great event. IMO it doesn't have answer the question posed.

 

I'm talking at the local level.

It's a great event. IMO it doesn't have answer the question posed.

 

I'm talking at the local level.

 

I think it answers it perfectly. You asked how big HS basketball is in ky, my answer was big enough to draw 20K+.

To be clear I'm not talking about talent.

 

I am speaking solely about community support/attendance/excitement.

I agree, I don't think there is anything close to Football. Basketball would be 2nd though imo in high school sports in the state.

It's a great event. IMO it doesn't have answer the question posed.

 

I'm talking at the local level.

 

Local level, teams hosting a regional tournament at their local high school was a very big deal. There's been quite a bit of movement away from that in the last decade, but I can remember being in middle school and getting to a game at a gym that seats 4,000+ easily an hour early to get a seat for a first round game in a regional tournament.

I agree, I don't think there is anything close to Football. Basketball would be 2nd though imo in high school sports in the state.

 

Basketball must not be big in your area. Come to a Warren Central/Bowling Green basketball game. Way more people than at the football game.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.