Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How Big Is KY High School Basketball- Really?

Featured Replies

Someone mentioned KY high school b-ball in another thread. Said it was equivalent to TX high school football.

 

IMO that's a myth. Heck, Indiana high school ball is much bigger to local communities than KY.

 

I'd also argue that KY high school football is bigger to communities than b-ball is.

 

Remember I'm speaking as a whole. Of course there are a few schools/communities that roll out big time. The vast majority do not.

  • Replies 46
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree. KY doesn't produce near the talent per capita in basketball that TX does in football. I also agree that of late, IN is stronger.

  • Author
Totally agree. KY doesn't produce near the talent per capita in basketball that TX does in football. I also agree that of late, IN is stronger.

 

To be clear I'm not talking about talent.

 

I am speaking solely about community support/attendance/excitement.

To be clear I'm not talking about talent.

 

I am speaking solely about community support/attendance/excitement.

 

I agree but I think that in the mountains/small towns you may have a harder time of convincing people completely because Jimmy and Johnny don't play football they play basketball(because their football team isn't good/lacks tradition) and they pack the house every time they've got a game.

  • Author
I agree but I think that in the mountains/small towns you may have a harder time of convincing people completely because Jimmy and Johnny don't play football they play basketball(because their football team isn't good/lacks tradition) and they pack the house every time they've got a game.

 

I don't get to games in EKY so I can't speak to their level of support/attendance. It could be much higher than the rest of the state.

 

I don't see it in NKY. I don't see it in Lex nor Louisville as a rule.

Someone mentioned KY high school b-ball in another thread. Said it was equivalent to TX high school football.

 

IMO that's a myth. Heck, Indiana high school ball is much bigger to local communities than KY.

 

I'd also argue that KY high school football is bigger to communities than b-ball is.

 

Remember I'm speaking as a whole. Of course there are a few schools/communities that roll out big time. The vast majority do not.

 

I think you are right about KY basketball. (Unfortunately)

 

Watching Hoosiers on TV right now.

Football is king in this state now. Basketball doesn't get the community support that it should until their team makes it to the district finals and beyond. I know plenty of people who won't miss a football game and won't attend a basketball game.

 

I'll never forget the disappointment I had last year when I went to Bryan Station/Henry Clay and it wasn't a packed house. I couldn't believe it.

I don't get to games in EKY so I can't speak to their level of support/attendance. It could be much higher than the rest of the state.

 

I don't see it in NKY. I don't see it in Lex nor Louisville as a rule.

 

Very much higher than Lexington from my experience. I've seen many Bryan Station, Scott County, Henry Clay, Tates Creek, Lexington Catholic games when I was in the Lexington area, and aside from some district tournament games (i.e., Lafayette upsetting Lexington Catholic @ Tates Creek in the first game of the district) or some showdowns between top 10 teams (i.e., Lexington Catholic @ Scott County... which still didn't draw like you'd have expected), the atmosphere just doesn't compare. And when I talk about seeing these schools play, more often than not, they were playing one another.

 

 

I think one of the reasons for this is that in the Eastern portion of the state, some schools don't have the student population and funding to support a football team, so it isn't really an option. For example, my grade school didn't even have football.

I think you are right about KY basketball. (Unfortunately)

 

Watching Hoosiers on TV right now.

 

I think the premise is correct.

 

And I LOVE Hoosiers.

Football is king in this state now. Basketball doesn't get the community support that it should until their team makes it to the district finals and beyond. I know plenty of people who won't miss a football game and won't attend a basketball game.

 

I'll never forget the disappointment I had last year when I went to Bryan Station/Henry Clay and it wasn't a packed house. I couldn't believe it.

 

Those used to be some games. I never missed them if I could help it during the Washington/Mack vs. Boyd, Dunaway, Turnage years.

I love basketball. Go to far more basketball games than football.

 

Don't really know what happened.

Football is king in this state now. Basketball doesn't get the community support that it should until their team makes it to the district finals and beyond. I know plenty of people who won't miss a football game and won't attend a basketball game.

 

I'll never forget the disappointment I had last year when I went to Bryan Station/Henry Clay and it wasn't a packed house. I couldn't believe it.

 

I went to Bryan Station to watch them play Mason County a few years back and was shocked. Maybe a couple hundred on the home side of the gym at most, cheerleaders in the stands socializing, doing homework, etc. I know - it wasn't a rivalry game. But still.

 

And I LOVE Hoosiers.

Back when the cheerleading skirts were very long and the basketball shorts were very short!

I went to Bryan Station to watch them play Mason County a few years back and was shocked. Maybe a couple hundred on the home side of the gym at most, cheerleaders in the stands socializing, doing homework, etc. I know - it wasn't a rivalry game. But still.

 

Yea... attendance at the Lexington city school games isn't really there. Tates Creek had some nice crowds for awhile when they had Fucci and Barksdale, but that's about it.

 

How many does the Fieldhouse seat and what's a decent crowd for a rivalry game?

I love basketball. Go to far more basketball games than football.

 

Don't really know what happened.

 

Same here I love b-ball. Just don't understand football. My high school didn't have a football team, too small. Our b-ball team wasn't good, so I would go to the 14th and 15th regional games as they were closer than going to Ashland for our 16th region tourney. Watched my husband to be in the 14th regional tourney in 1968. Had never met him yet and sure didn't know that is who I would marry.....:lol2:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.