Fox Sports 1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Press release:

Fox’s new national sports network, FOX Sports 1, will debut on Saturday, August 17th, with every major distributor on board, making this the biggest sports cable network launch in history, and one of the largest network launches ever. The announcement was made by Mike Hopkins, President, Distribution, Fox Networks.

At the outset, FOX Sports 1 boasts nearly 5,000 hours of live event, news and original programming annually. A robust schedule of live events forms the backbone of FOX Sports 1’s programming from Day 1, with college basketball, college football, NASCAR, soccer, boxing and UFC all on tap between launch and year’s end. In fact, the schedule on August 17th features live events morning, noon and night including a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race from Michigan and UFC FIGHT NIGHT: SHOGUN VS. SONNEN in prime time. In 2014, FOX Sport’s new rights agreement with MLB takes effect, bringing regular and postseason games to FOX Sports 1.

You know why they "rotate back?" Eyeballs come in and out of shows. They don't watch from start to finish. They know they can come in at any point of the show and catch headlines. I've got no problem with that. I like turning it on 20 minutes in and not worrying about missing the top story.

I have a problem with it when it is at the expense of showing almost literally anything else. Maybe I do want to see that topic. But I'd like to see other things as well. Frequently, they bump those other games or topics to move back to the top story. I don't think it's too much to ask that they do it at the top of the hour and then again about 30 minutes later. That's a fast enough interval that you aren't going to need to worry about missing the top story. It's going to come on again fairly quickly. That's not what they're doing.

And let me be clear, this is not something that consumes me or that I really get worked up about. Like I said, it just gets irritating. I usually DVR SportsCenter, fast forward to find what I want, and move on.

I have a problem with it when it is at the expense of showing almost literally anything else. Maybe I do want to see that topic. But I'd like to see other things as well. Frequently, they bump those other games or topics to move back to the top story. I don't think it's too much to ask that they do it at the top of the hour and then again about 30 minutes later. That's a fast enough interval that you aren't going to need to worry about missing the top story. It's going to come on again fairly quickly. That's not what they're doing.

And let me be clear, this is not something that consumes me or that I really get worked up about. Like I said, it just gets irritating. I usually DVR SportsCenter, fast forward to find what I want, and move on.

Radio has a measurement of AQH which I think stands for Avg Quarter Hour. It measure how many listeners. It's why you hear a lot of re-sets on sports talk radio or in the morning when a lot of people are "dropping in." My guess is ESPN uses that same method.

I went to the channel finder and only saw an SD option. That's a mistake, right? If they aren't rolling out HD everywhere then this could be a disaster. I know most of my friends are like me, "if it ain't in HD, I ain't got it"...

We have both SD and HD available on TW in southern KY.

They tweeted out today that if you're on a cable box you may need to re-set your DVR in order to get accurate channel guides.

Thanks Clyde, any idea as to how one resets their DVR box, is it just unplug and plug back in type of deal?

I spent some time online chatting with a rep last night. I actually need to go exchange my DVR box for one of their other TWC carries so I can utilize the DVR manager service when I'm away from home.

I went to the channel finder and only saw an SD option. That's a mistake, right? If they aren't rolling out HD everywhere then this could be a disaster. I know most of my friends are like me, "if it ain't in HD, I ain't got it"...

Time Warner?

It's HD here in Louisville.