Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Christen Cunningham to Cordia

Featured Replies

No offense to my friends in Hindman, but it isn't Lexington. I don't mind an occassional visit to Pippa Passes. Heck, most of Knott county (or any other co. east of the wall) is in Lex every weekend. Ever tried to get a table at Olive Garden at Fayette Mall on Saturday? Yikes.

 

Something that I feel people might overlook about Cordia is the fact that when you are there, you want to concentrate on basketball, school, and then maybe 10% nothing else substantial (compared to what's offered in a real metro area). I'd imagine that renewing a focus on school and basketball from the perspective of a new environment could be relaxing and refreshing. Just something to consider. Being completely realistic and brutally honest, I'd imagine that some of the stories that could be shared about cities left behind and the types of temptations available there might make people appreciate a place like Hindman.

 

Am I saying this is the case for every kid? No. I personally have no knowledge of their player's situations, nor do I have any real right to know.

 

I'm just asking that posters imagine what it would have taken for you to come to a foreign country or distant national region from your home during your high school years "just to play basketball" like some people make it out to be. If you've already done that, that's all I ask. But you can't really separate the fact that regardless, just because of the location, it's signing up for culture shock, homesick nights, growing up, etc. even if it's ONLY motivated by playing basketball and not school (which I certainly am not saying is the case).

 

Thinking about it like that could soften some opinions.

 

I'm just personally not against Cordia based on what I know now.

 

It seems somewhat fallacious to be of the opinion that there's nothing at all to do in the Corida community and in the same breath speak to why kids MIGHT want to transfer there.

  • Replies 118
  • Views 19.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something that I feel people might overlook about Cordia is the fact that when you are there, you want to concentrate on basketball, school, and then maybe 10% nothing else substantial (compared to what's offered in a real metro area). I'd imagine that renewing a focus on school and basketball from the perspective of a new environment could be relaxing and refreshing. Just something to consider. Being completely realistic and brutally honest, I'd imagine that some of the stories that could be shared about cities left behind and the types of temptations available there might make people appreciate a place like Hindman.

 

Am I saying this is the case for every kid? No. I personally have no knowledge of their player's situations, nor do I have any real right to know.

 

I'm just asking that posters imagine what it would have taken for you to come to a foreign country or distant national region from your home during your high school years "just to play basketball" like some people make it out to be. If you've already done that, that's all I ask. But you can't really separate the fact that regardless, just because of the location, it's signing up for culture shock, homesick nights, growing up, etc. even if it's ONLY motivated by playing basketball and not school (which I certainly am not saying is the case).

 

Thinking about it like that could soften some opinions.

 

I'm just personally not against Cordia based on what I know now.

 

It seems somewhat fallacious to be of the opinion that there's nothing at all to do in the Corida community and in the same breath speak to why kids MIGHT want to transfer there.

 

Great post.

 

I think Cunningham will benefit from being away from the Lexington area and having a renewed focus on basketball.

Or let kids transfer once regardless of situation or location. Then if they decide to transfer again, it should be highly scrutinized. That's my opinion. However, I'll say again, and again, we are headed towards club basketball in our state. It's on it's way, write it down.

 

I'm ok with that but something has to be done. Club basketball is not on its way it is here already.

 

I remember when Spin initially said this and my thoughts were that club basketball would never happen. As Hickory states it is already here in essence. When I first thought of club basketball I was thinking of a more literal version of it but if kids are going to be allowed to transfer high schools the same way they can play for two different AAU teams in a two week period then it seems like we are at that stage. Honestly, I don't have a problem with it but if this is how things are going to be ran then I'd like to see the KHSAA regulate it better and consistently. I have always been for allowing kids to play wherever they want to play if they are academically eligible but as someone stated, at the very least there should be a limit or some set of rules that prevent situations like the Cunningham high school basketball resume from happening. The way things are now I feel like that if I had a kid who had a legitimate transfer and my kid was ruled ineligible to play I would have a serious problem with KHSAA right now. I'm thinking specifically of Will Dunn, Daryll Hicks and Austin Hunt. No way they should have been ineligible if no one else seems to be. Aren't the rules still the same from the last 3 years?

If you're going to Cordia to focus on basketball and academics, getting away from 'temptations' in the city, why not make the move to Huntington Prep, as an example? Although I know Huntington isn't off the beaten path, they seem to specialize on 'special situations' with players.

If you're going to Cordia to focus on basketball and academics, getting away from 'temptations' in the city, why not make the move to Huntington Prep, as an example? Although I know Huntington isn't off the beaten path, they seem to specialize on 'special situations' with players.

 

You have to be recruited to play at Huntington Prep.

Although Cordia is located in Knott County it is actually closer in miles to Hazard in Perry County. Hazard is a city of about 5,000+ population. It's not Lexington by no means but there's still a lot to do in Hazard. It's got many of the same conveniences of a larger city, just on a smaller scale. It's not like they're out in the boondocks when they're at Cordia.

If you're going to Cordia to focus on basketball and academics, getting away from 'temptations' in the city, why not make the move to Huntington Prep, as an example? Although I know Huntington isn't off the beaten path, they seem to specialize on 'special situations' with players.

 

 

Huntington Prep and Oak Hill only have so many spots and are established to the point that they don't have to rely on players of the skill level that Cordia is currently getting. Cordia is just potentially becoming schools like that on a micro-scale if they have all the talent they'll supposedly be getting, but no one is comparing them to Oak Hill or Huntington Prep. That's just a bit extreme, especially at this point in time.

 

I can see why a high school kid would be excited to improve their game under a former NBA player and one of the most recruited high school players of his decade.

 

I can see why the traditions of high school basketball in Kentucky are more appealing than playing games in Canada, where hockey and football are bigger.

 

I can see why a kid and/or their parents/guardians might think that moving into a smaller school environment could help them focus in the classroom and let them become a better student. Making the grades and becoming eligible with the NCAA is still part of the scholarship process.

Edited by JokersWild24

Although Cordia is located in Knott County it is actually closer in miles to Hazard in Perry County. Hazard is a city of about 5,000+ population. It's not Lexington by no means but there's still a lot to do in Hazard. It's got many of the same conveniences of a larger city, just on a smaller scale. It's not like they're out in the boondocks when they're at Cordia.

 

I understand what you are saying and my sentiment certainly was not to bash Eastern Kentucky. It's the region I was born in and I grew up there.

 

I was just trying to point out that for a kid from Toronto, which is the 5th largest city in North America, or Houston, which is the 3rd, even Northern Kentucky, Louisville, or Lexington would seem like small towns relatively speaking (at least at first).

 

To the kids making the move from cities like these to the area they end up in, you know it would have to be quite the culture shock.

 

 

On a side note, I think that it's a good thing that the kids at Cordia and the people of the community get to see and are exposed to other cultures. Aside from someone visiting the countries, which lots of people (people anywhere) may never have the opportunity to do, it's a great way to learn about the rest of the world.

  • Author

Its a joke what's going on at cordia. Period!! KHSAA is the biggest joke of it all. No judge should have any say regarding high school athletics. How can all these kids at cordia be eligible and Josiah Robbins brother be ruled ineligible at Boyle Co last year when they live in the same household and Josiah attends Boyle and plays 3 sports. If I was in cordias region I would boycott playing them!!

  • Author

To be clear, I have nothing against cordia or the kids that play there. But its obvious what's going on there and the KHSAA is letting it happen. Its no different tho from what some other schools have been doing for a long time!! And its easy to guess what schools I'm talking about.

Its a joke what's going on at cordia. Period!! KHSAA is the biggest joke of it all. No judge should have any say regarding high school athletics. How can all these kids at cordia be eligible and Josiah Robbins brother be ruled ineligible at Boyle Co last year when they live in the same household and Josiah attends Boyle and plays 3 sports. If I was in cordias region I would boycott playing them!!

 

Josiah came to Boyle in middle school. His brother waited until his senior year to transfer and they didn't change addresses. That's why he was ruled ineligible. At least try to comply with what KHSAA is looking for. Josiah was grandfathered in since he started at Boyle in middle school. Much cleaner transferring while still in middle school. :D

Its a joke what's going on at cordia. Period!! KHSAA is the biggest joke of it all. No judge should have any say regarding high school athletics. How can all these kids at cordia be eligible and Josiah Robbins brother be ruled ineligible at Boyle Co last year when they live in the same household and Josiah attends Boyle and plays 3 sports. If I was in cordias region I would boycott playing them!!

 

Here's how I rationalize it... I don't know Josiah Robbins, nor do I know his brother, but if they both transferred for a reason they felt was in their best interest-- I wish they would have been eligible too. I think everyone being eligible to begin with unless proven ineligible by something awful is more fair than what we had.

To be clear, I have nothing against cordia or the kids that play there. But its obvious what's going on there and the KHSAA is letting it happen. Its no different tho from what some other schools have been doing for a long time!! And its easy to guess what schools I'm talking about.

 

Actually it isn't... plenty of schools get transfers for tons of different reasons. Society is more transient. When we really get down to it, there are bigger deals than high school sports.

Edited by JokersWild24

Cordia has NEVER won the 14th region ever. This is the Lions best chance of doing so since they got close in the 90s. IF all players are eligible they could also make a run at the All "A" state title. I cant remember a team in the 14th region with this much size, this a very big team and adding Cunningham just makes the cake that much sweeter. Good things could happen for Coach Rod and Lotts Creek this year.

I just gotta wonder how this is going over with the locals and the effect on team chemistry. How does the community including the players and the families of the players who will be moved down the bench with all the questionable transfers feel about it?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.