October 5, 201312 yr By the way, Cordia is not the only team in the 14th region to bring in transfers...13 transfers to be exact. Anyhoo, Perry Central has 2 kids out of Philadelphia who came recently & Justin Johnson who transferred over last year from Sheldon Clark. They also have John Toomer who transferred from Wolfe County for this season. Knott Central has a transfer from Bath County in Keegan Sammons & their best player, Camron Justice, played for East Ridge High (played as an 8th grader) before transferring to Knott. It is not a coincidence that those 3 teams, PCC, Cordia & Knott, are the favorites in the region. Edited October 5, 201312 yr by JokersWild24
October 6, 201312 yr 13 BASKETBALL TRANSFERS TO ONE HIGH SCHOOL FOLKS! lol Eh, I'm more in the camp of "how many is too many"? Where do we draw the line? Knott Central has Justice and the kid from Bath County. Perry Central has Johnson and the kid from Philly. (Both apparently). I know there's a difference between 2 and 13, but what's the cut off point? 3? 5? 7? 9? 11?
October 7, 201312 yr Eh, I'm more in the camp of "how many is too many"? Where do we draw the line? Knott Central has Justice and the kid from Bath County. Perry Central has Johnson and the kid from Philly. (Both apparently). I know there's a difference between 2 and 13, but what's the cut off point? 3? 5? 7? 9? 11? Well, I don't know what the cut off number would be if applying a number to it. But I tell you this, it would be WAY before I ever got to the number 13! But in all seriousness, it's not about the number of transfers, its about the HOW and WHY of the transfers. Come on Joker...even you would have to say something ain't right about this situation.
October 8, 201312 yr Well, I don't know what the cut off number would be if applying a number to it. But I tell you this, it would be WAY before I ever got to the number 13! But in all seriousness, it's not about the number of transfers, its about the HOW and WHY of the transfers. Come on Joker...even you would have to say something ain't right about this situation. I think I understand what you're getting at, but just view it differently maybe. If you are saying that the things that aren't "right" about the situation are POSSIBLY things that would fit under loose definitions of: steering, enticements, and/or advertising, then I would say that while this may be a valid point, it is nonetheless irrelevant because it is nothing that other top schools aren't doing themselves. Just to make myself clear, I have no knowledge of any wrong-doing on Cordia's part, not am I accusing them of anything or trying to insinuate more than the plain meaning of my words. I'm just trying to say that "if something isn't right about Cordia's situation", then there are a number of other top schools, most of them basketball powers, who would fit under that same umbrella. The 'how' and 'why' of the transfers could be more simple than any of that even. As someone who lives in the 7th largest city in the U.S. and whose job requires him to take at least one trip to a homeless shelter each week to do pro bono legal work, I can tell you that the situation in some inner-city schools is just outright drastic. I can easily see why someone would hear about a place like Cordia from a friend or intermediary, then look into enrolling themselves if it meant an upgrade over the situation present in some of the schools in these types of urban areas. As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, many local kids have situations with their own home lives where they are staying with teammates, friends, etc. basically out of desperation (and/or apathy with their given circumstances). Trust me when I say, the inner city school systems in major urban areas like Toronto, Houston, etc. can be very unforgiving to kids who "slip through the cracks". With that said, I don't know the situation of ANY of the Cordia kids, nor is it my business to know. I'm just saying that, hypothetically, someone who is in the types of situations that I deal with on a day-to-day basis, I can understand why they would want to have their children move to a more stable environment like Cordia and have a better chance at "breaking the cycle". If it's a situation where it is proven that the kids who are coming in are allowed to miss all kinds of class and never learn anything, despite their being capable of it, then yes, I would say that it's a messed up situation. Short of that or something similar, I think the 'how' and 'why' of the situation could just as easily be explained by considering the fact that some of these kids may be attracted to the Cordia program because it offers a type of stability and comfort that they would not otherwise know (despite racist taunts from Knott Central fans, etc.), and in the process, they are bettering themselves by enhancing their chances at getting a scholarship and opening doors that would not otherwise be available. When I was in high school, I don't know what it would have taken for me to decide I wanted to up and move across the country or continent just to play a sport, so until I've walked a mile in their shoes, I really can't judge them. From the outside looking in, I see the chance to leave a desolate situation in urban Toronto, Canada (where hockey rules the entire country) for the United States to go to what is essentially a boarding/prep school at a reduced cost and play basketball under a former high school All American, college star, and NBA player, which helps my chances of getting a scholarship and allowing me to achieve my dreams of playing at the next level and earning my degree, then the decision might not be as hard for me as some on here have implied. Again, that's just me and how I look at it. I really can see the argument from lots of different angles. I just think that, absent proof that the student-athletes are being exploited/manipulated, etc., then I won't pass judgment on the system.
October 8, 201312 yr Of course I can see the reasons that some of these kids would come to a place like Cordia and play basketball. Like you have mentioned, to better their home life, get a job, to just be in a "better" social environment, etc. BUT, my question is, did their families decide to relocate for these reasons, which is highly doubtful seeing as there are not many jobs in Lotts Creek or Perry County for that matter, or did Rhodes illegally get these kids in here by recruiting them? Bylaw 16, Section 2a states, "Recruiting is defined as an act, on behalf of or for the benefit of, a school, which attempts to influence a student to tranfer to a member school for the purpose of participating in athletics." I'm not sure how he is doing, It's not my job to decide that. It the KHSAA's job and I'm waiting on them to decide as the games are set to begin in less than 2 months.
October 8, 201312 yr Of course I can see the reasons that some of these kids would come to a place like Cordia and play basketball. Like you have mentioned, to better their home life, better job opportunities, to just be in a "better" social environment, etc. BUT, my question is, did their families decide to relocate for these reasons, which is highly doubtful seeing as there are not many jobs in Lotts Creek or Perry County for that matter, or did Rhodes illegally get these kids in here by recruiting them? It sure wasn't for academics seeing as how Cordia had one of the lowest test scores in the state. Bylaw 16, Section 2a states, "Recruiting is defined as an act, on behalf of or for the benefit of, a school, which attempts to influence a student to transfer to a member school for the purpose of participating in athletics." I'm not sure how he is doing it, It's not my job to decide that. It the KHSAA's job and I'm waiting on them to decide as the games are set to begin in less than 2 months. The time passed where I could edit my post so I did it this way, underlining what was edited.
October 9, 201312 yr Of course I can see the reasons that some of these kids would come to a place like Cordia and play basketball. Like you have mentioned, to better their home life, get a job, to just be in a "better" social environment, etc. BUT, my question is, did their families decide to relocate for these reasons, which is highly doubtful seeing as there are not many jobs in Lotts Creek or Perry County for that matter, or did Rhodes illegally get these kids in here by recruiting them? Bylaw 16, Section 2a states, "Recruiting is defined as an act, on behalf of or for the benefit of, a school, which attempts to influence a student to tranfer to a member school for the purpose of participating in athletics." I'm not sure how he is doing, It's not my job to decide that. It the KHSAA's job and I'm waiting on them to decide as the games are set to begin in less than 2 months. I agree with Charlie here. Proof is in the pudding, and this pudding looks pretty murky to me. I THINK (can't say I know) bylaw 16 sec 2a, as CW referenced above, is being broken. If nothing else it sure LOOKS like it is. And if it is, and the KHSAA WERE to come down on them, then these kids have not been helped, but rather have been done a disservice (at least as far as basketball is concerned) as they all or at least some of them would be found ineligible and would not be able to participate in basketball. I get where you are coming from Joker. You want to help underprivileged kids or kids who may have a less than good home life. I do the same thing with my basketball program. Some of the kids at Cordia might meet this definition, others may not, that I don't know. What I do know is that these rules are put in place for a reason, and personally I think this is a good rule. If it's being broken it needs to be handled appropriately. If everything is aboveboard, then lets play ball. It really doesn't matter to me which side of the coin this falls on, as long as if it's the wrong side it is addressed.
October 9, 201312 yr Seen on twitter, a guy from Leslie County tweeting commissioner Tackett about all these schools (Cordia, Hazard, Knott, Perry) getting all these "transfers" and commissioner Hackett told him to write a letter and mail it to KHSAA in Lexington if he believes they were breaking rules....
October 9, 201312 yr I'm going to write an article on Cordia and post it in the basketball forum. It won't be tonight or tomorrow most likely, as I have school and some things going on, but we have a fall break on Monday and I should have it up soon. I really appreciate the responses and want to continue the discussion, so be sure to comment on it. I just think this thread's purpose (discussing Christian Cunningham to Cordia) has kind of ran it's course and we should open the discussion back up on the main basketball board. I do think everyone has raised some good points and has been able to do so by staying inside the rules and being civil. Healthy debate is never a bad thing, so be sure to try to look up the article and we'll keep it going soon. Basketball practice starts in less than one week.
October 10, 201312 yr I wonder if my son can transfer to BG for the last few games of the football season to win a state ring? KHSAA doesn't seem to have a problem with it.
October 10, 201312 yr Seen on twitter, a guy from Leslie County tweeting commissioner Tackett about all these schools (Cordia, Hazard, Knott, Perry) getting all these "transfers" and commissioner Hackett told him to write a letter and mail it to KHSAA in Lexington if he believes they were breaking rules.... Strange feeling that letter will get lost in the mail and placed on the bottom of a very tall stack and they will get to it probably around March lol
October 10, 201312 yr Strange feeling that letter will get lost in the mail and placed on the bottom of a very tall stack and they will get to it probably around March lol I doubt that would happen. If someone can actually prove something, I'd think the KHSAA would investigate. You need more than thoughts, rumors, and innuendo to do so though.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.