Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why I Changed My Mind About Weed

Featured Replies

So incredibly easy to get pot these days; same as it was back when I was in high school. My kids know kids who deal because we talk about things like this. Shoot, I know people who still deal! LOL

  • Replies 67
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why?

 

Is that really a question that needs to be answered? Some make the argument "well alcohol is legal and people get drunk", well you can't advocate bad behavior by pointing out other bad behavior. Pot does nothing to further the goals of a civilized society, it only adds negative issues in my opinion. Some will argue that it can be taxed and thus good for the economy. Still don't agree with it, sorry.

 

And yes, I have known chronic users of pot. It changes you, and not for the better that I have experienced. It's hard enough we have to teach our kids to stay away from illegal substances, much less something that is (could be) legal.

Is that really a question that needs to be answered? Some make the argument "well alcohol is legal and people get drunk", well you can't advocate bad behavior by pointing out other bad behavior. Pot does nothing to further the goals of a civilized society, it only adds negative issues in my opinion. Some will argue that it can be taxed and thus good for the economy. Still don't agree with it, sorry.

 

And yes, I have known chronic users of pot. It changes you, and not for the better that I have experienced. It's hard enough we have to teach our kids to stay away from illegal substances, much less something that is (could be) legal.

 

I'm not going to point to any of that. I will simply point to the fact that no one should be able to tell me that I can't something that has zero effect on you or anyone else.

I'm a BIG anti drug guy...BUT...if "weed" has a legitimate purpose as a medicinal drug and can help people that have cancer, certain diseases, etc. then absolutely it should be used as a medicine. Why not? My only argument would be that people who don't need it medically shouldn't be smoking it in order to just "get high".

 

I'm with you on not promoting recreational drugs, and especially addictive ones. I'm also completely with you on having no problem with Marijuana if it has medicinal value, which it appears that it does.

 

Your stand on not approving of folks using Marijuana in order to just "get high" brings to mind some thoughts and questions.

 

Alcohol is legal, widely available, and very much advertised everywhere we look on TV, Billboards, and Radio. In advertisements it's typically promoted as a "good time" beverage.

 

From what I can gather most people who drink alcohol partake to either "relax", "party", and/or become really "relaxed". We know that the more Alcohol that is consumed, the more intoxicated one becomes.

 

We know that a significant number of folks develop serious problems with Alcoholism, proving the possibility of its addictive properties, and in many instances cause a tremendous amount of heartache and pain for the family members and friends of the addicted.

 

We know that there are many automobile fatalities or wrecks that happen regularly from irresponsible drinkers, yet bars and taverns typically have parking lots, and many of it's patrons drive.

 

We know that irresponsible drinking can lead to being sick, vomiting and hangovers, or to an extreme, Alcohol poisoning, and possibly death.

 

Some can argue that alcohol does have some medicinal value, but in truth, it's apparent that an insignificant number of folks use it as such.

 

So in essence, a product that has proven to be potentially harmful with very little positive uses, is widely available and widely accepted by society.

 

What message are we sending children? What young boy can't wait to be just like Daddy and pound away a 6 pack or more while watching the football game on Sunday?

 

On the other hand, most folks that smoke Marijuana to "get high" feel contented once they are high, and if they smoke more beyond getting high, unlike Alcohol, they really don't get much higher.

 

Just like alcohol, it's not advisable that anyone drive under the influence.

 

Folks that smoke Marijuana typically do not experience sickness, hangovers or potential poisoning, and show no obvious signs of having been high the morning after.

 

There is no real addiction involved with smoking Marijuana and withdrawal related to it, on the other hand there is addiction and withdrawal related to Tobacco use, however Tobacco is legal.

 

By comparison to Alcohol and Tobacco, Marijuana is ultimately safer, however we live in a society that continues to frown on it's recreational use and keep the debate alive of whether or not it should be legal, while Alcohol and Tobacco remain legal, and Alcohol use for recreational use is not nearly as frowned upon as is Marijuana.

 

A person working in a drug testing clinic, legally the night before reporting for work, could've "tied one on" so to speak, gone to work a bit sluggish, then blood tested a clear thinking Marijuana user, and reported them as having THC in their blood, suggesting that they are a user of illegal substances.

 

Is there a double standard here? Is it logical that society frowns on the recreational use of Marijuana, but accepts the recreational use of Alcohol?

 

I've actually heard people say "I don't mind if my son drinks a few beers, but I better not find out that he's ever smoked pot!".

 

I'm not trying to promote the use of Marijuana or suggesting that anyone should try it. I just can't find the logic of society placing it in such a category of "bad bad illegal bad", while other such more harmful substances are legal and more freely accepted.

 

Our knee-jerk reactions for Alcohol and against Marijuana seem to be a result of years and years of brainwashed attitudes that don't hold water or display any logic.

 

You, in your comments, did not specifically mention your thoughts toward Alcohol, but I'd be curious to what your thoughts were towards the recreational use of Alcohol, and if they coincide with your thoughts of the recreational use of Marijuana? And if by chance you're OK with Alcohol, then "Why" considering that it is more harmful than Marijuana?

 

In my lifetime I have had experiences with both, so from firsthand experience I know that Alcohol was a much more worse and harmful choice for me than Marijuana. I'd like to make it clear that my days of using either are pretty much completely over, and it's extremely infrequent that I ever use or desire the use of either.

 

All in all though, I still have an over abundant thought that society is extremely backward on it's acceptance of one, and its overpowering rejection of the other considering the illogical nature of their conclusion.

If you don't want to make it completely legal, fine. However, why can't it be a classified drug like Oxycontin, Percocet...etc?

If you don't want to make it completely legal, fine. However, why can't it be a classified drug like Oxycontin, Percocet...etc?

Because proponents aren't banging the drum for medicinal marijuana that you can now get an Rx for. It would be illegal recreationally if you scheduled weed. No different than oxycontin.

Because proponents aren't banging the drum for medicinal marijuana that you can now get an Rx for. It would be illegal recreationally if you scheduled weed. No different than oxycontin.

 

Right. That's what I tried to say.

 

Isn't the article basically saying it should be used medicinally only?

Right. That's what I tried to say.

 

Isn't the article basically saying it should be used medicinally only?

I agree with that. My point was that advocacy for it's legalization and it's popularity with the media would be all but shot to hell if it was only medicinally prescribed.

If I read this right, is anyone else concerned that even this guy would recommend to his kids to avoid use until their mid twenties due to possible damage to the brain? If I read that right do you think that's going to happen if it's legalized? What about those affects? Do we put a age limiit of 25 on it?

If I read this right, is anyone else concerned that even this guy would recommend to his kids to avoid use until their mid twenties due to possible damage to the brain? If I read that right do you think that's going to happen if it's legalized? What about those affects? Do we put a age limiit of 25 on it?

 

Pretty sure he'd have the same thing to say about the sauce.

^To point #2' date=' they already have easy access to it. Cigarettes are far more harmful to kids than weed would be.[/quote']

 

Not saying you are wrong but do you have proof of that?

Pretty sure he'd have the same thing to say about the sauce.

 

Good point, I'm not familiar with the research on either.

For the record as previously stated I'm for legalization. I also know some people may benefit medically from weed. But let's be honest a vast majority of the people with medical cards use it mainly for non medical purposes. I don't have a problem with it. I just hate dishonest debates. The war on weed is a joke. Let's stick to that. Not that weed is some miracle drug with no side affects. I think that idea does a true disservice to the obvious fact outlawing weed does more harm than good.

For the record as previously stated I'm for legalization. I also know some people may benefit medically from weed. But let's be honest a vast majority of the people with medical cards use it mainly for non medical purposes. I don't have a problem with it. I just hate dishonest debates. The war on weed is a joke. Let's stick to that. Not that weed is some miracle drug with no side affects. I think that idea does a true disservice to the obvious fact outlawing weed does more harm than good.
For all of your fair and balanced approach, how in the world can you say outlawing weed does more harm than good when we haven't seen what will happen if it isn't outlawed? Talk about one sided debate!
For all of your fair and balanced approach, how in the world can you say outlawing weed does more harm than good when we haven't seen what will happen if it isn't outlawed? Talk about one sided debate!

 

That's a great excuse for doing nothing.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.