Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why I Changed My Mind About Weed

Featured Replies

What addictive properties does marijuana have?

 

I'm only familiar with psychological dependency, which I suppose can occur in the same way one gets addicted to running or working out, or TV. That person may get a bit cranky and irritable, but in no way, shape or form will they be suffering from a medically debilitating physical-addiction withdrawal the way you would with alcohol, pills or heroin.

  • Replies 67
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How the heck was that whining, old man?

 

"I mean they said it so it must be true."

 

Textbook.

 

"I mean they said it so it must be true."

 

Textbook.

 

Yeah that isnt "whining". It was definitely sarcastic...

I'm with you on not promoting recreational drugs, and especially addictive ones. I'm also completely with you on having no problem with Marijuana if it has medicinal value, which it appears that it does.

 

Your stand on not approving of folks using Marijuana in order to just "get high" brings to mind some thoughts and questions.

 

Alcohol is legal, widely available, and very much advertised everywhere we look on TV, Billboards, and Radio. In advertisements it's typically promoted as a "good time" beverage.

 

From what I can gather most people who drink alcohol partake to either "relax", "party", and/or become really "relaxed". We know that the more Alcohol that is consumed, the more intoxicated one becomes.

 

We know that a significant number of folks develop serious problems with Alcoholism, proving the possibility of its addictive properties, and in many instances cause a tremendous amount of heartache and pain for the family members and friends of the addicted.

 

We know that there are many automobile fatalities or wrecks that happen regularly from irresponsible drinkers, yet bars and taverns typically have parking lots, and many of it's patrons drive.

 

We know that irresponsible drinking can lead to being sick, vomiting and hangovers, or to an extreme, Alcohol poisoning, and possibly death.

 

Some can argue that alcohol does have some medicinal value, but in truth, it's apparent that an insignificant number of folks use it as such.

 

So in essence, a product that has proven to be potentially harmful with very little positive uses, is widely available and widely accepted by society.

 

What message are we sending children? What young boy can't wait to be just like Daddy and pound away a 6 pack or more while watching the football game on Sunday?

 

On the other hand, most folks that smoke Marijuana to "get high" feel contented once they are high, and if they smoke more beyond getting high, unlike Alcohol, they really don't get much higher.

 

Just like alcohol, it's not advisable that anyone drive under the influence.

 

Folks that smoke Marijuana typically do not experience sickness, hangovers or potential poisoning, and show no obvious signs of having been high the morning after.

 

There is no real addiction involved with smoking Marijuana and withdrawal related to it, on the other hand there is addiction and withdrawal related to Tobacco use, however Tobacco is legal.

 

By comparison to Alcohol and Tobacco, Marijuana is ultimately safer, however we live in a society that continues to frown on it's recreational use and keep the debate alive of whether or not it should be legal, while Alcohol and Tobacco remain legal, and Alcohol use for recreational use is not nearly as frowned upon as is Marijuana.

 

A person working in a drug testing clinic, legally the night before reporting for work, could've "tied one on" so to speak, gone to work a bit sluggish, then blood tested a clear thinking Marijuana user, and reported them as having THC in their blood, suggesting that they are a user of illegal substances.

 

Is there a double standard here? Is it logical that society frowns on the recreational use of Marijuana, but accepts the recreational use of Alcohol?

 

I've actually heard people say "I don't mind if my son drinks a few beers, but I better not find out that he's ever smoked pot!".

 

I'm not trying to promote the use of Marijuana or suggesting that anyone should try it. I just can't find the logic of society placing it in such a category of "bad bad illegal bad", while other such more harmful substances are legal and more freely accepted.

 

Our knee-jerk reactions for Alcohol and against Marijuana seem to be a result of years and years of brainwashed attitudes that don't hold water or display any logic.

 

You, in your comments, did not specifically mention your thoughts toward Alcohol, but I'd be curious to what your thoughts were towards the recreational use of Alcohol, and if they coincide with your thoughts of the recreational use of Marijuana? And if by chance you're OK with Alcohol, then "Why" considering that it is more harmful than Marijuana?

 

In my lifetime I have had experiences with both, so from firsthand experience I know that Alcohol was a much more worse and harmful choice for me than Marijuana. I'd like to make it clear that my days of using either are pretty much completely over, and it's extremely infrequent that I ever use or desire the use of either.

 

All in all though, I still have an over abundant thought that society is extremely backward on it's acceptance of one, and its overpowering rejection of the other considering the illogical nature of their conclusion.

 

:thumb:

 

 

Well said. If we accept alcohol/tobacco as a society it is very hypocritical there is so much debate over a plant. A plant with hundreds of uses and benefits.

What addictive properties does marijuana have?

 

I'm only familiar with psychological dependency, which I suppose can occur in the same way one gets addicted to running or working out, or TV. That person may get a bit cranky and irritable, but in no way, shape or form will they be suffering from a medically debilitating physical-addiction withdrawal the way you would with alcohol, pills or heroin.

 

Yeah marijuana has zero physical side effects or what you would call a withdrawl. It is only addictive mentally, people enjoy it so much they think they have to have it. It kills me when I hear marijuana is addictive because technically its not. Anyone can quit and not have to suffer through the same withdrawl as drugs such as heroin, cocaine, pharmaceuticals, alcohol, and heck even tobacco and caffeine to an extent.

 

I have read studies that show caffeine is more "harmful" to your body than marijuana.

Yeah marijuana has zero physical side effects or what you would call a withdrawl. It is only addictive mentally, people enjoy it so much they think they have to have it. It kills me when I hear marijuana is addictive because technically its not. Anyone can quit and not have to suffer through the same withdrawl as drugs such as heroin, cocaine, pharmaceuticals, alcohol, and heck even tobacco and caffeine to an extent.

 

I have read studies that show caffeine is more "harmful" to your body than marijuana.

I don't know if I agree with zero physical addiction . I know plenty of people who can't function properly without it or struggle to quit. Now is the harm or addiction near as strong as other drugs nope its not. But again I feel people do the argument harm when they act like there are no side affects . Burn outs exist and it doesn't describe increased brain power. Legalize it . But let's be honest.

I don't know if I agree with zero physical addiction . I know plenty of people who can't function properly without it or struggle to quit. Now is the harm or addiction near as strong as other drugs nope its not. But again I feel people do the argument harm when they act like there are no side affects . Burn outs exist and it doesn't describe increased brain power. Legalize it . But let's be honest.

 

Since we're being honest:

 

Harm ≠ physical addiction

 

Side effects ≠ physical addiction

 

Marijuana is harmful in that it can cause lung cancer and heart trouble. That doesn't mean it is physically addictive.

A plant with hundreds of uses and benefits.

Hundreds of uses? Hemp yes but probably not MJ. Hemp is not the same thing as MJ.

Since we're being honest:

 

Harm ≠ physical addiction

 

Side effects ≠ physical addiction

 

Marijuana is harmful in that it can cause lung cancer and heart trouble. That doesn't mean it is physically addictive.

Is marijuana addictive? | National Institute on Drug Abuse

Long-term marijuana use can lead to addiction; that is, people have difficulty controlling their drug use and cannot stop even though it interferes with many aspects of their lives. It is estimated that 9 percent of people who use marijuana will become dependent on it.10 The number goes up to about 1 in 6 in those who start using young (in their teens) and to 25-50 percent among daily users
As many as 25% to 50% of people smoking marijuana daily do become addicted. The younger one starts smoking the better chance they have of becoming addicted. Even though that addiction maybe more emotional than physical, it still turns into an addiction none the less.
Since we're being honest:

 

Harm ≠ physical addiction

 

Side effects ≠ physical addiction

 

Marijuana is harmful in that it can cause lung cancer and heart trouble. That doesn't mean it is physically addictive.

 

If a person can't fuction the same without the use its a physical addiction in my book. Is it comparable to heroin of course not. I just like to keep the convo in check. I'm on the side of legalizing . I also don't think its a miracle drug.

Is marijuana addictive? | National Institute on Drug Abuse As many as 25% to 50% of people smoking marijuana daily do become addicted. The younger one starts smoking the better chance they have of becoming addicted. Even though that addiction maybe more emotional than physical, it still turns into an addiction none the less.

 

Emotional/psychological addiction does not jibe. If you're that concerned about a psychological addiction then we need to be taking steps to outlaw chocolate, because half the country is addicted to that. Otherwise, there's no viable argument for it A) being illegal and B) being considered by the feds to be on par with highly physically addictive narcotics.

 

I don't care if you smoke every day for a year. You can quit right away with no ill effects beyond irritability. Marijuana's "addictiveness" has less to do with actual addictiveness than it does with it just simply being a lifestyle, no different than running. I'm guessing bugatti and FKYW feel absolutely miserable if they miss a few days of running. Should we outlaw that too?

Emotional/psychological addiction does not jibe. If you're that concerned about a psychological addiction then we need to be taking steps to outlaw chocolate, because half the country is addicted to that. Otherwise, there's no viable argument for it A) being illegal and B) being considered by the feds to be on par with highly physically addictive narcotics.

 

I don't care if you smoke every day for a year. You can quit right away with no ill effects beyond irritability. Marijuana's "addictiveness" has less to do with actual addictiveness than it does with it just simply being a lifestyle, no different than running. I'm guessing bugatti and FKYW feel absolutely miserable if they miss a few days of running. Should we outlaw that too?

 

It's not all emotional, I said it maybe more so emotional but there is physical addiction and physical withdrawal symptoms associated with marijuana use. Marijuana Withdrawal Symptoms

Emotional/psychological addiction does not jibe. If you're that concerned about a psychological addiction then we need to be taking steps to outlaw chocolate, because half the country is addicted to that. Otherwise, there's no viable argument for it A) being illegal and B) being considered by the feds to be on par with highly physically addictive narcotics.

 

I don't care if you smoke every day for a year. You can quit right away with no ill effects beyond irritability. Marijuana's "addictiveness" has less to do with actual addictiveness than it does with it just simply being a lifestyle, no different than running. I'm guessing bugatti and FKYW feel absolutely miserable if they miss a few days of running. Should we outlaw that too?

Come on Jim you can't say there is zero physical addiction. We are just talking severity of the addiction .

Nausea and insomnia are two of the most popular side effects of quitting. Anyone can quit with the proper lifestyle adjustment.

Nausea and insomnia are two of the most popular side effects of quitting. Anyone can quit with the proper lifestyle adjustment.

 

Sounds like physical problems .

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.