Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKU Sucks

Featured Replies

Yep, it sucks. They told her when she was at UC, that as long as she had a Kentucky mailing address and a bill in her name, she'd qualify for instate tuition at NKU. So she moved in with me, transferred down to NKU, did everything they told her to do, and then when she applied they told her she'd never qualify for in-state unless she has an official rental agreement or her name appears on the mortgage/title. So at that point she was completely screwed. She no longer qualified for in-state tuition in Ohio, and couldn't get it in Kentucky either.

 

She's always been receiving the "Metro" tuition MJ mentioned, and all of a sudden that's no longer an option?

 

I'm in the process of getting her added to the title/deed or drawing up a rental agreement.

 

My question about that is, if it's my permanent residence as well, would I have to claim any rental income since it's not truly a rental property?

 

I would ask an accountant.

Univesites are pricing the average person out. And the ones who take on the student loans to try and better themselves spend the best years of their life killing themselves trying to dig out of the debt. It's sickening. Anymore it's almost better to go learn a trade. The universities all seem to care only about building new buildings and the kids foot the bill for these unnecessary new buildings.

 

One of the major presidential candidates last time around advised college students to borrow the money from their parents.

 

One of the major presidential candidates last time around advised college students to borrow the money from their parents.

 

I married an extremely athletically gifted girl with D1 bloodlines, so hopefully our kids earn schollys :lol2:

 

I don't know any....:D

 

If you're a liberal, you'll be safe from the IRS :D

I married an extremely athletically gifted girl with D1 bloodlines, so hopefully our kids earn schollys :lol2:

 

Grades, grades, grades. There is so much academic money available. Being a good athlete helps you get more of it.

 

Unless you're a major D1 football or basketball athlete, grades will get you more than athletics.

I married an extremely athletically gifted girl with D1 bloodlines, so hopefully our kids earn schollys :lol2:

 

Already writing them off for academic ones? lol

Grades, grades, grades. There is so much academic money available. Being a good athlete helps you get more of it.

 

Unless you're a major D1 football or basketball athlete, grades will get you more than athletics.

 

You are exactly right - My oldest got a degree at Northern, and his last semester there was the first time I had to pay anything - and it was a big $500.00 Better yet, he got himself a full ride to Grad school by working hard while at Northern as well. They said grad school was like 50k a year itself!

And a lot of those kids are graduation with some crap degree that is going to get them a 30K job and it will take them 25-30 yrs to pay that off.

 

Come on now, the world needs teachers too.

I feel your pain UKMF. I went through something very similar many moons ago. I was working and living in Cincinnati, but decided to move into NKY to be closer to friends. So, I got an apartment in Florence. Had been there about four months, when I lost my job in Cincinnati. Looked for something full time job-wise for about a month or two. Then decided to go back to school. Went and talked to the folks at NKU, and the lady said that even though I hadn't met their eligibility requirements, I would likely qualify for in-state rates, if I could prove that I moved here prior to the decision to enroll.

 

So, I did everything she asked, and included pay stubs and even a letter from my former employer stating that I was let go as part of unexpected cutbacks. She said everything was good, and we got me enrolled and scheduled for classes (a full load). However, just a week or so before classes were to begin, I received a letter from them saying that my in-state status had been denied, and that I would be required to pay out-of-state tuition rates. So, I called the lady back and ask her what's going on. She then tells me that that's normal, but I can appeal the decision (and use all of the info that I had given her before!). However, she said it'll "help my cause" if I can show that I can pay out-of-state rates anyway. The thing was...being unemployed at the time...I couldn't just write them a check for a full load of classes based upon the out of state rates! (Needed to keep what savings I had built up, to help cover rent, utilities, food, etc.) And to top the whole thing off...the appeal wouldn't be heard until AFTER classes had already started!

 

So, I ended up dropping all but one class...paid them out of state rates for it...and then waited for the appeal. And sure enough, a couple of weeks later, my appeal was heard and the decision overturned. But, by then, it was too late to add back the classes that had been dropped. So, the whole ordeal pretty much cost me a semester's-worth of time, due to everything getting pushed back.

Wow, what terrible advice...

 

Disagree. When I welders certificate can get you $45K per year walking in off the street and probably 1/4 or more of the degrees out there get you a whole bunch of nothing plus a student loan to pay off, I'd have to say you're crazy.

 

There was a thread regarding this video a while back, but I couldn't find it. Watch this if that's really what you think about college versus trade school.

 

[video=youtube;0NwEFVUb-u0]

Disagree. When I welders certificate can get you $45K per year walking in off the street and probably 1/4 or more of the degrees out there get you a whole bunch of nothing plus a student loan to pay off, I'd have to say you're crazy.

 

There was a thread regarding this video a while back, but I couldn't find it. Watch this if that's really what you think about college versus trade school.

 

[video=youtube;0NwEFVUb-u0]

 

That's pretty interesting. I have a younger brother, who since the age of 10 has said that he wants to be a plumber when he "grows up". Everyone thought it was hilarious that a little kid aspired to be a plumber when he grew up. I think, however, that he wouldn't be foolish for getting in to that profession. As long as there are people eating Taco Bell, plumbers will always have work.

  • Author

I very hesitantly am taking back my claim that "NKU Sucks".

 

She met with the assistant registrar last week and he went over the reasoning, and also outlined exactly what she needed to provide him with to apply for in-state tuition. She filled out the packet and dropped it off with the required documents this morning and within an hour received an email from him with a letter approving her for instate tuition from here on out. He was a complete professional about the entire process and was very easy to work with.

 

I still am hesitant to trust it, because we've been told multiple different things from multiple people, so until we see the tuition invoice reflect instate tuition I'm holding my breath.

Good ole NKU. Dont think I ever had a single semester there where something didnt go wrong.

 

Not accepting a check for tuition my first semester because NKU said my scholarship would cover it, (I didnt have a scholarship or even ever apply for one at NKU) -- and then sending me a late notice bill for tuition in Dec after finals with finance charges on it.

 

Or when registering for classes after I changed my major from a "pre-XXX" to XXX, telling me I had to see the register office, and them telling me I couldnt register for undergrad classes because I had graduated, yet I only had 90 something hours or so.

 

Or, three years after I did graduate, sending me an invoice for grad classes, that I never signed up for.

Wow, what terrible advice...

 

Unfortunately our current school system is so focused on getting students into "college" they overlook skilled trade training. I'm willing to bet that we have many more college grads unable to find meaningful work than those that have graduated from a trade school. An average certified pipe welder can earn $25 / hour right out of the gate. (That's roughly $50k annual for the Math majors out there) Find me a: History, Psychology, English, Political Science major that can get an interview for a reasonable wage. For reference: average salary for a teacher (4 year degree) $35k. I've got an advanced degree and can tell you unequivocally that $50k is more than $35k, even in Kentucky.:banana:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.