August 2, 201313 yr Beyond annoyed with NKU right now. The fiancé used to live in Ohio, and moved in with me last year. At that time NKU told her she'd have to pay cincinnati tuition since she doesn't have a rental agreement or mortgage, which is roughly $2G less than out of state per semester. No problem. All of a sudden they're now saying since she hasn't had a Cincy address for over a year, it's been ky btw, she no longer qualifies for the Cincinnati tuition discount. The only possible alternative to Cincy tuition is Kentucky, in state tuition. How do these idiots sleep at night trying to screw people over?
August 2, 201313 yr Univesites are pricing the average person out. And the ones who take on the student loans to try and better themselves spend the best years of their life killing themselves trying to dig out of the debt. It's sickening. Anymore it's almost better to go learn a trade. The universities all seem to care only about building new buildings and the kids foot the bill for these unnecessary new buildings.
August 2, 201313 yr Univesites are pricing the average person out. And the ones who take on the student loans to try and better themselves spend the best years of their life killing themselves trying to dig out of the debt. It's sickening. Anymore it's almost better to go learn a trade. The universities all seem to care only about building new buildings and the kids foot the bill for these unnecessary new buildings. Wow, what terrible advice...
August 2, 201313 yr Beyond annoyed with NKU right now. The fiancé used to live in Ohio, and moved in with me last year. At that time NKU told her she'd have to pay cincinnati tuition since she doesn't have a rental agreement or mortgage, which is roughly $2G less than out of state per semester. No problem. All of a sudden they're now saying since she hasn't had a Cincy address for over a year, it's been ky btw, she no longer qualifies for the Cincinnati tuition discount. The only possible alternative to Cincy tuition is Kentucky, in state tuition. How do these idiots sleep at night trying to screw people over? There is a difference between Out-of-State tuition and Cincinnati tuition, which they call a metro rate. Maybe that is where the confusion is? Not that any of this helps with the frustration, but it's always been my understanding that you have to prove that you've lived in KY for at least one year before you can qualify for in-state tuition. Maybe write-up some receipts showing that she has paid you rent? lol. But instead of "NKU sucks", I would imagine you could say Financial Aide offices everywhere suck.
August 2, 201313 yr That certainly doesn't seem right but I can see what they're trying to do. It's tough to regulate if there is no paper trail establishing residency. My daughter lived in Indiana 3 years and could never establish residency for in state tuition.
August 2, 201313 yr Author That certainly doesn't seem right but I can see what they're trying to do. It's tough to regulate if there is no paper trail establishing residency. My daughter lived in Indiana 3 years and could never establish residency for in state tuition. Yep, it sucks. They told her when she was at UC, that as long as she had a Kentucky mailing address and a bill in her name, she'd qualify for instate tuition at NKU. So she moved in with me, transferred down to NKU, did everything they told her to do, and then when she applied they told her she'd never qualify for in-state unless she has an official rental agreement or her name appears on the mortgage/title. So at that point she was completely screwed. She no longer qualified for in-state tuition in Ohio, and couldn't get it in Kentucky either. She's always been receiving the "Metro" tuition MJ mentioned, and all of a sudden that's no longer an option? I'm in the process of getting her added to the title/deed or drawing up a rental agreement. My question about that is, if it's my permanent residence as well, would I have to claim any rental income since it's not truly a rental property?
August 2, 201313 yr Just have her sign a rental agreement back date the thing and show it to them. Her rent can be $1 a month but you have an agreement. I can even send you a copy of an agreement that I've used when I used to be a landlord if you want it.
August 2, 201313 yr Author Just have her sign a rental agreement back date the thing and show it to them. Her rent can be $1 a month but you have an agreement. I can even send you a copy of an agreement that I've used when I used to be a landlord if you want it. If you have a template I could use, that would be a huge help. I really appreciate it!
August 2, 201313 yr If you have a template I could use, that would be a huge help. I really appreciate it! PM me your email address and I'll send it.
August 2, 201313 yr How so? No kidding. Everyone is so hell bent on degrees and they can't even turn off the water to their house at the street. Electricians, plumbers, etc make a killing. Not everyone can have an office job.
August 2, 201313 yr I remember my first semester at Murray, for my dorm room, tuition and meal plan, I paid I think around $2500-2800 dollars. This was in the fall of 2000. I thought I was hurting with $16k in student loans when I graduated. I talked to one of our interns and he said he'll end up with around 50-60k in loans. That's insane!
August 2, 201313 yr I remember my first semester at Murray, for my dorm room, tuition and meal plan, I paid I think around $2500-2800 dollars. This was in the fall of 2000. I thought I was hurting with $16k in student loans when I graduated. I talked to one of our interns and he said he'll end up with around 50-60k in loans. That's insane! I just looked at Murray's rates and for a resident earning a 120hr degree it will cost you $59,120 per today's rates. That includes tuition, housing, meal plan (no books). Tuition - $3522 Housing - $2200 (there were several options so I picked the middle of the road cost) Meal - $1668 (unlimited)
August 2, 201313 yr I just looked at Murray's rates and for a resident earning a 120hr degree it will cost you $59,120 per today's rates. That includes tuition, housing, meal plan (no books). Tuition - $3522 Housing - $2200 (there were several options so I picked the middle of the road cost) Meal - $1668 (unlimited) And a lot of those kids are graduation with some crap degree that is going to get them a 30K job and it will take them 25-30 yrs to pay that off.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.