Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Braun suspended for rest of season

Featured Replies

It is strange. There are at least a half dozen football players every year that get popped for PED's/Substance abuse problems, and it's rarely big news. Brian Cushing got popped after his rookie of the year campaign and there was no huge outrage. I think with baseball, there is such a strong association with numbers and history. People can recite who has the most hits and home runs and exactly how many. When these records and achievements get broken its a huge deal. Think about, Roger Maris's 61 home runs had an asterisk next to it because he played in 8 extra games than Babe.

 

 

Agreed.

  • Replies 58
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting discussion on Mike & Mike this morning re. the difference between baseball and football.

 

Nearly everyone is excoriating Braun - and rightly so; many are calling for a permanent ban.

 

On the flip side, folks are saying that they sure hope Von Miller gets back as soon as possible.

I don't believe Miller tested positive for a PED.
I don't believe Miller tested positive for a PED.

 

No, but still chemicals.

 

Maybe not apples and apples, but apples and fruits closely resembling apples.

If a player gets caught doping, the team he is on should have the option to terminate the contract.

 

Braun is a disgrace. Feel bad for Matt Kemp, who should of been the MVP in 2011 anyway. Also for the DBacks, who were cheated out of the playoffs in 2011 in 5 games to the juiced Braun. Too bad he still wasn't good enough to beat the Cards.

It is strange. There are at least a half dozen football players every year that get popped for PED's/Substance abuse problems, and it's rarely big news. Brian Cushing got popped after his rookie of the year campaign and there was no huge outrage. I think with baseball, there is such a strong association with numbers and history. People can recite who has the most hits and home runs and exactly how many. When these records and achievements get broken its a huge deal. Think about, Roger Maris's 61 home runs had an asterisk next to it because he played in 8 extra games than Babe.

 

Football gets a pass, doesn't makes sense to me. I understand the number part but football is a violent sport you would think steroids would be even a bigger deal.

No, but still chemicals.

 

Maybe not apples and apples, but apples and fruits closely resembling apples.

 

I completely disagree. If Miller was just guilty of using drugs of some kind it's totally different. People aren't screaming for cocaine users in baseball to be banned for life and their names stricken from the record books.

 

That said I am still not clear on what Miller tested positive for. If it was PED's your point still stands and I completely agree. No one cares when their best defensive players is doping but someone in baseball better not be taking so much as creatine.

I completely disagree. If Miller was just guilty of using drugs of some kind it's totally different. People aren't screaming for cocaine users in baseball to be banned for life and their names stricken from the record books.

 

That said I am still not clear on what Miller tested positive for. If it was PED's your point still stands and I completely agree. No one cares when their best defensive players is doping but someone in baseball better not be taking so much as creatine.

 

Supposedly he tested positive for some sort of recreational drug.

 

Although, in the NFL it takes 3 failed tests before you get a 4 game suspension, so Miller essentially has tested positive multiple times and not changed at all.

The big win for MLB in the Braun deal is it weakens any case all the other players will try to make. Ryan Braun has basically verified that Tony Bosch is telling the truth and that the evidence baseball has is valid. This agreement is bad news for all the other players involved in the case.

He came out immediately admitting guilt, plea bargain not to serve a higher suspension?

 

I'm confused, by "he came out immediately" do you mean years after his first positive test and lying about it (and assassinating the character of innocent folks)? Maybe I missed it, but in "admitting guilt" he never actually admits taking PED's, right? He says he made mistakes. He says this has been hard on his family. He doesn't say he cheated...right? I mean directly.

If a player gets caught doping, the team he is on should have the option to terminate the contract.

 

Also for the DBacks, who were cheated out of the playoffs in 2011 in 5 games to the juiced Braun. Too bad he still wasn't good enough to beat the Cards.

 

Assuming the D-backs whole team was completely clean. I think PEDS run wide and deep in MLB now, and would be surprised if there was one completely clean lockeroom in the whole league.

Assuming the D-backs whole team was completely clean. I think PEDS run wide and deep in MLB now, and would be surprised if there was one completely clean lockeroom in the whole league.

 

Tom Verducci, who basically broke the steroid scandal wide open a decade plus ago, said today on Colin that he thinks it is 5-8% of players and that the tide has turned where players are now not accepting of it. The vast majority want a level playing field.

One season too late. It was obvious he was a cheater, got lucky and kept doing it, and continued to lie... Not a fan

 

He's a liar, but did he CONTINUE to cheat? I only ask b/c I don't know how far back players names appear in the records. He could have stopped in '11 after the dirty test, but appeared in the investigation and MLB finally had enough to nail him against the wall.

Tom Verducci, who basically broke the steroid scandal wide open a decade plus ago, said today on Colin that he thinks it is 5-8% of players and that the tide has turned where players are now not accepting of it. The vast majority want a level playing field.

 

30 teams with 25 players=750 players in MLB. 750*5%=37.5 players using......a little over 1 per team on average ;-). At 8%, you're looking at 2 per team. I'm sure, that number in 2011 was likely higher. Chances are, the 2011 D-backs had some tainted eggs in that dugout.

He's a liar, but did he CONTINUE to cheat? I only ask b/c I don't know how far back players names appear in the records. He could have stopped in '11 after the dirty test, but appeared in the investigation and MLB finally had enough to nail him against the wall.

 

Exactly. I want to know if the '12 season was juiced because he seemed to be the same guy who won the MVP after the dirty test.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.