Was John Wayne a great....

John Wayne is one of my favorite movie stars but he wasn't very successful when he stepped out of his character, as he did with Genghis Kahn, which was a failure as a movie. The Duke was best playing the Duke. As for acting, a sympathy vote for his long career probably got him the '69 Oscar for Best Actor over more deserving actors that year in that category. Dustin Hoffman or Jon Voight were both deserving for their roles in Midnight Cowboy. And I believe Peter O'Toole was nominated that year as well.

I think he is a terrible actor, though I have a soft spot for him. I was watching him the other day and can't help but wonder if he would make it as an actor in today's world.

Denzel always plays Denzel and Bruce Willis always play Bruce Willis (and there are several other actors that seem to always play the same character), so I think it would be possible for John Wayne to make it today.

Actually, I was thinking of the character Jon Lovitz did on Saturday Night Live years ago (Master Thespian).

A student of the great BEAUDELAIRE! (I love that character.)

The best thing I ever heard about John Wayne was that he used to roll out of his house on weekdays wearing jeans and without his toupee and go down to the mall near his house in Orange County because he liked the bakery there. He'd sit there all morning and eat doughnuts and sign autographs for people. That had to have quite a sight to behold.

OMG I cant believe some actually think he wasn't a good actor. He was a great actor. Not only did he star in Westerns, but War movies and he did them well.

He fought Indians, Confederates, bad ranchers,mafia, Japs, Vietcong, and Germans. Just to name a few.

My favorite movies of his were.

The Searchers(MY PERSONAL FAVORITE)

She wore a Yellow Ribbon

Fort Apache

Hatari

Stage Coach

Green Berets

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

Hell Fighters

Sands of Iwo Jima

Red River

3 Godfathers

The Horse Soldiers

The Cowboys

The War Wagon

Big Jake

The Shootist

Why would he want to step out of what he does best. Some people I will never figure out.

John Wayne is IMO the greatest actor of all time.

OMG I cant believe some actually think he wasn't a good actor. He was a great actor. Not only did he star in Westerns, but War movies and he did them well.

He fought Indians, Confederates, bad ranchers,mafia, Japs, Vietcong, and Germans. Just to name a few.

She wore a Yellow Ribbon

Fort Apache

Hatari

Stage Coach

Green Berets

Hell Fighters

Sands of Iwo Jima

Red River

3 Godfathers

The Horse Soldiers

The Cowboys

The War Wagon

Big Jake

The Shootist

Why would he want to step out of what he does best. Some people I will never figure out.

And he played John Wayne in all of them. I love these movies, but John Wayne had about as much range as Moses Malone.

And he played John Wayne in all of them. I love these movies, but John Wayne had about as much range as Moses Malone.

You do what you do best, which was what he did, he is the greatest actor of all time.

Did Led Zep go play Gospel or country, no, they played Led Zep. One of greatest of all time.

Did Pink Floyd become a R/B or hip hop band, no, they played Pink Floyd. One of the greatest of all time.

You don't have to change for the sake of changing.

You do what you do best, which was what he did, he is the greatest actor of all time.

Did Led Zep go play Gospel or country, no, they

played Led Zep. One of greatest of all time.

Did Pink Floyd become a R/B or hip hop band, no, they played Pink Floyd. One of the greatest of all time.

He's not "the greatest actor if all time". He may be the greatest Western movie actor, but not the greatest actor. The actors that are in the "best ever" category are the ones who can play a variety of characters in various genres of film. I don't think Wayne would have played Hamlet very well. Or Hannibal Lector. Or Lincoln.

Did Led Zep go play Gospel or country, no, they played Led Zep. One of greatest of all time.

I love your persistance Mountain Ref.

You obviously don't listen to a lot of the nuances of music. Zeppelin played many different styles as do most of the All-time great bands. "Whole Lotta Love" is not the same as "Misty Mountain Hop."

Exactly! In fact I remember seeing a quote from Wayne that said something about when people pay to see his movies they want to see John Wayne and by God, that's what they're going to see. Same article said he once agreed to be Grand Marshal for the KY Derby Parade and told them to just give him a bottle of KY Bourbon instead of paying his expenses to get there. He always played the part.

She wore a Yellow Ribbon

Fort Apache

Hatari

Stage Coach

Green Berets

Hell Fighters

Sands of Iwo Jima

Red River

3 Godfathers

The Horse Soldiers

The Cowboys

The War Wagon

Big Jake

The Shootist

I think people are asking did he have the acting ability to pull off a comedy or some other type of movie than an action movie. Similar to how Robert DeNiro can play in action movies, dramas, comedies or whatever else you can through at him. It is quite impressive when you can play a mafioso, a cop or a Catholic priest and nail all three types of characters.

I love your persistance Mountain Ref.

You obviously don't listen to a lot of the nuances of music. Zeppelin played many different styles as do most of the All-time great bands. "Whole Lotta Love" is not the same as "Misty Mountain Hop."

And the song "All of my love" isn't just like " Whole lotta love", but is is still Led Zep,

Does ACDC play anything but ACDC, no, that is why they are successful. People want to hear that.

People want to see the Duke play the Duke. Why try something different if you like what you do.

John Wayne did do a comedy movie and it was good.

North to Alaska and McClintlock were comedies.