Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ryle 12 Cooper 8

Featured Replies

For me at least, Blues have done a very good job this season.

 

This year the Ball/Strike zone has been consistent and that's all anyone can ask for.

 

Blue has been in position to make the calls and again that is all you can ask for and they are closer to the play than anyone.

 

The assignor who oversees Blue does a good job and BTW is a nice guy to deal with

 

I too wish there were more Blue but indeed it is so much easier to be a Blue from the stands, than on the field and indeed they earn their pay

 

 

As far as the HBP goes. The batter owns the batters box and as long as he is not leaning over into the strike zone IMHO it's a HBP and BTW there is no rule (that I am aware of) that say's the batter has to move out of the way of a pitch![/QUOTE]

 

That is correct. A batter does not have to move out of the way. Good post about the Blue.

  • Replies 119
  • Views 19.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I will say that no sport can possibly be more difficult to be the assignor than baseball or softball. The rain, the make up games, the switching fields, etc. Whomever is doing the assigning in this area definitely earns their money as well as doing an incredible job.

That IS correct. The unfortunate part of that discussion is that the No. Ky. area is the ONLY place I have been, and I've coached at multiple levels in multiple states, where I've EVER heard an umpire call a batter back for "not making an attempt to get out of the way of a pitch." It is a ridiculous call and is not called the same way by the Umpires in this Region. How about you guys get with the rest of the state at least and drop the whole "attempt" judgement and just guage whether the batter leaned into the pitch. A much easier and more consistent call if you ask me.

 

And as for Mac W, if you are indeed an umpire, be immensely happy that there is not a spelling or grammar section in the umpires test.

 

And there are some outstanding umpires in this region as well as a few real dogs. But the good ones far outweigh the bad ones.

Have only seen one HBP that was called back this year....AND IMHO, the ump did it right. Not only was he called back, but because he leaned over and was hit IN the strike zone, it was called strike 3.......batter is out. And it sure looked like it was .

 

So by definition, if a batter is called back....it should also be a strike.........that is the part not usually called...

Have only seen one HBP that was called back this year....AND IMHO, the ump did it right. Not only was he called back, but because he leaned over and was hit IN the strike zone, it was called strike 3.......batter is out. And it sure looked like it was .

 

So by definition, if a batter is called back....it should also be a strike.........that is the part not usually called...

 

Not entirely true. Just because he moved into the pitch doesn't mean it was a strike. He can move into a pitch in the batter's box (a ball) and be called back. If he is hit in the box without moving into it, he gets first. But you cannot move it into in the box or over the palte.

Not entirely true. Just because he moved into the pitch doesn't mean it was a strike. He can move into a pitch in the batter's box (a ball) and be called back. If he is hit in the box without moving into it, he gets first. But you cannot move it into in the box or over the palte.

 

But earlier I thought it was mentoned that the batter owns the batter box and does not have to get out of the way........ so then, it would seem that the only reason he would be able to be called back is if he moved into the pitch IN the strike zone........am I missing it?

I disagree with that statement. I actually thought that the blue in this region did a subpar job this year in calling games. It might have been consistent in your favour more so than not. However, it was far from being consistent for everyone.. Thus, "home cooking" even in N.KY at times.

:no:

For me at least, Blues have done a very good job this season.

 

This year the Ball/Strike zone has been consistent and that's all anyone can ask for.

 

Blue has been in position to make the calls and again that is all you can ask for and they are closer to the play than anyone.

 

The assignor who oversees Blue does a good job and BTW is a nice guy to deal with

 

I too wish there were more Blue but indeed it is so much easier to be a Blue from the stands, than on the field and indeed they earn their pay

 

 

As far as the HBP goes. The batter owns the batters box and as long as he is not leaning over into the strike zone IMHO it's a HBP and BTW there is no rule (that I am aware of) that say's the batter has to move out of the way of a pitch!

Not entirely true. Just because he moved into the pitch doesn't mean it was a strike. He can move into a pitch in the batter's box (a ball) and be called back. If he is hit in the box without moving into it, he gets first. But you cannot move it into in the box or over the palte.

 

Last year an ump told Caple from Dixie (who definitly makes no effort to avoid the inside pitch) to take a right turn into the dugout, as he started to trot to first. While I personally think a kid should make some effort to get out of the way (my son pitches ;)), there was no way he leaned all the way into the strike zone. I think this type of lean would be pretty blatent.

But earlier I thought it was mentoned that the batter owns the batter box and does not have to get out of the way........ so then, it would seem that the only reason he would be able to be called back is if he moved into the pitch IN the strike zone........am I missing it?

 

He does not have to get out of the way but he cannot move into the pitch. The batter "owning the batters box" is true to the extent that if he gets hit in the box, without moving into the pitch, he gets first whether or not he attempted to get out of the way. But in no circumstance can you move into the pitch.

 

Last year an ump told Caple from Dixie (who definitly makes no effort to avoid the inside pitch) to take a right turn into the dugout, as he started to trot to first. While I personally think a kid should make some effort to get out of the way (my son pitches ;)), there was no way he leaned all the way into the strike zone. I think this type of lean would be pretty blatent.

 

The only way it would be a strike is if he moved into the strike zone to get hit. Not saying he did, as I wasn't there to see it, but moving into a ball in the box does not make it a strike. Don't know the situation or the umpire's explanation so I can't really comment on it.

I have already donated many years of coaching and monies to the kids. I did not get paid and already "Did it for the kids". I do think that this umpire was completely off his game and do personally like the guy. Problem is, he had on off game while getting paid.

 

Or you could sign up next year and give the kids the what they really deserve a top notch umpire. Please umpire next year!!!! It's for the kids.
I have already donated many years of coaching and monies to the kids. I did not get paid and already "Did it for the kids". I do think that this umpire was completely off his game and do personally like the guy. Problem is, he had on off game while getting paid.

 

Why does it have to be that the umpire had bad day, is it because he called what he saw and you don't agree with it?

Nope. Wouldnt put the time in to be excellent at it. Did it for several years, realized I couldnt dedicate enough energy or effort so gave it up, and refuse to take money for something I put little effort in. Its called integrity. If you ump and find that you arr constantly getting yelled at, maybe its time to look in the mirror. Or go ump t ball.

 

So let me get this straight. You used to umpire but you were not very good. You didn't want to put in the time to be good so you stopped. Now you come on message boards and diss guys. Well you might have officiated a couple baseball games in the past but it doesn't sound like you were ever a umpire.

...personally like the guy.

 

I'm sure he thinks your great too.

Problem is, he had on off game...

Combined wasn't there like ten errors? Sounds like a couple people had "off" games.

And your point is.......? Sounds like a weak umpire response. That has nothing to do with making calls.

 

Combined wasn't there like ten errors? Sounds like a couple people had "off" games.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.