Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Snyder says Redskins will “never” change name

Featured Replies

I'm Native American, and I could care less what the Redskins do. The name has never bothered me, nor has the Braves, Indians, Seminoles, etc. These names weren't used as a joke, or intending to be disrespectful.

  • Replies 39
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Snyder's a terrible owner from a success standpoint, but I'm with him on this one. I just wish all the colleges that changed their mascots would've been similarly anti-PC. I will always call Miami University the Redskins, and St. John's will always be the Redmen, and Syracuse will always be the Orangemen, as far as I'm concerned.

 

As for me, it's the Marquette Warriors and the University of the Cumberlands Indians.

Scott Brantley always had the perfect politically correct name for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

 

"Manly Men in Boats"

As for me, it's the Marquette Warriors and the University of the Cumberlands Indians.

 

That's another one I take issue with. What's so bad about "warriors?" Isn't that glorifying those who had that name attached to them?

Good for Snyder! Heck, I'm not a fan of the Redskins at all. But I like it.

That's another one I take issue with. What's so bad about "warriors?" Isn't that glorifying those who had that name attached to them?

 

I can see how some could consider Redskins offensive but to be a warrior is the ultimate compliment.

I never understood the entire name problem with many of the sports teams myself. I never thought anything wrong with any of the names. It's political correctness gone wrong if you ask me. If people are so up in arms over names like the Chiefs or Blackhawks etc., then why aren't those same people up in arms over the Bengals? I mean Bengal Tiger is a certain type of tiger, are they being negative toward tigers? I mean seriously, get a life people.

What about Vikings or Cowboys or Seahawks or Yankees.....Yankees, do you think because there is a team named Yankees no one would have a problem with a team called Confederates?

It's not like they are calling them the Washington retarded Native Americans.

That's another one I take issue with. What's so bad about "warriors?" Isn't that glorifying those who had that name attached to them?

 

The mascot was a Menominee Indian, actually Chief Oshkosh.

I never understood the entire name problem with many of the sports teams myself. I never thought anything wrong with any of the names. It's political correctness gone wrong if you ask me. If people are so up in arms over names like the Chiefs or Blackhawks etc., then why aren't those same people up in arms over the Bengals? I mean Bengal Tiger is a certain type of tiger, are they being negative toward tigers? I mean seriously, get a life people.

What about Vikings or Cowboys or Seahawks or Yankees.....Yankees, do you think because there is a team named Yankees no one would have a problem with a team called Confederates?

It's not like they are calling them the Washington retarded Native Americans.

 

First, just to be clear, I'm Native American, and have no problem with the Redskins. From what I understand, the name was changed to "Redskins" to honor a Coach, who's mother was of Native American descent. However, comparing "Bengals" to "Redskins" is just a terrible analogy. There is no history in the US of tigers (or any other animal for that matter) every being discriminated against. There are no derogatory names used to describe tigers, and comparing tigers and Native Americans (or any other group) is just silly. Truth of the matter is, the term Redskin, while rarely used today, was at one point considered by Native Americans pretty offensive, but now most do not consider it an issue. The Redskins are a proud franchise with a rich tradition. No need to change the name. But please, don't support the argument to not change the name with such silly analogies.

First, just to be clear, I'm Native American, and have no problem with the Redskins. From what I understand, the name was changed to "Redskins" to honor a Coach, who's mother was of Native American descent. However, comparing "Bengals" to "Redskins" is just a terrible analogy. There is no history in the US of tigers (or any other animal for that matter) every being discriminated against. There are no derogatory names used to describe tigers, and comparing tigers and Native Americans (or any other group) is just silly. Truth of the matter is, the term Redskin, while rarely used today, was at one point considered by Native Americans pretty offensive, but now most do not consider it an issue. The Redskins are a proud franchise with a rich tradition. No need to change the name. But please, don't support the argument to not change the name with such silly analogies.

 

Then please explain to me why the name Yankees isn't being discussed? Same thing if you ask me.

Then please explain to me why the name Yankees isn't being discussed? Same thing if you ask me.

 

Well, they do get countered by their longtime rival, the Rebels.

Then please explain to me why the name Yankees isn't being discussed? Same thing if you ask me.

 

Long history of discrimination toward people from north of the Mason-Dixon line?

Then please explain to me why the name Yankees isn't being discussed? Same thing if you ask me.

 

Again, I think "Yankee" is a bad analogy and not the same thing. Aside from some pockets in the South (and maybe the UK) Yankee is not a derogatory word. In fact, it's considered patriotic (think the song "Yankee Doodle Dandy" which is the state song of Connecticut). Redskin was pretty derogatory as recently as the first part of the 20th century. I'm fine with the name. But stop trying to make comparisons that aren't relevant in order to say some are being selectively politically correct in this instance.

Again, I think "Yankee" is a bad analogy and not the same thing. Aside from some pockets in the South (and maybe the UK) Yankee is not a derogatory word. In fact, it's considered patriotic (think the song "Yankee Doodle Dandy" which is the state song of Connecticut). Redskin was pretty derogatory as recently as the first part of the 20th century. I'm fine with the name. But stop trying to make comparisons that aren't relevant in order to say some are being selectively politically correct in this instance.

Actually diring and after the civil war Damn Yankee was a term used by confedorates tto describe ignorant northerners

 

So it is a pretty good analogy. Just because you don't think it's deragotory doesn't mean someone else does

 

The point of the matter is it isn't derogatory in my opinon just like Chiefs etc. It's just a name and some are proud of it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.