May 10, 201313 yr So listening to KSR yesterday and they were telling the story of when Billy G was able to get John Wall to visit UK as a recruit, and while in practice Wall forgot to turn off his cell phone and it went off, Billy G looked over at him and proceeded to kick him out of practice and told him that he will respect his disciplinary procedures. I'm sure that went over well. Crazy to think how far the UK program has come since those days. I had never heard the story until yesterday, anyone else? Glad those days are far behind us.
May 10, 201313 yr Jones has told that story a handful of times & I would normally be inclined to disbelieve it. However, we are talking about Billy Clyde. :lol2:
May 10, 201313 yr Author Don't really see a problem with that... I think it was just the overall thing. Now I don't have a problem with coaches doing that in general and you want to set a precedent that no player is bigger than a program but Billy G often had a different way of doing things that sometimes left players not feeling so good. Plus, with it being Billy G it could have happened 100x worse than what they said, who knows though.
May 10, 201313 yr No problem with it? If I was being recruited by every school in the nation and a coach kicked me out of watching a practice, that school would be cut off my list instantly. If I'm a one and done I'm going somewhere to have fun and win. Not be talked down to and lose.
May 10, 201313 yr Well, so you are saying you would allow a recruit to break one of your practice rules? This whole thing needs some context. Like did BCG tell them to turn off cell phones? If he did and the kid did not then what does that say about the player?
May 10, 201313 yr Author Well, so you are saying you would allow a recruit to break one of your practice rules? This whole thing needs some context. Like did BCG tell them to turn off cell phones? If he did and the kid did not then what does that say about the player? From my understanding I believe it's a rule or an understanding around most practices that as a recruit you turn off your phone. I also believe that Wall that he had turned it off or on vibrate or something and then it went off. He didn't answer it like it was nothing he quickly turned it off and then that's when Billy G kicked him out.
May 10, 201313 yr From my understanding I believe it's a rule or an understanding around most practices that as a recruit you turn off your phone. I also believe that Wall that he had turned it off or on vibrate or something and then it went off. He didn't answer it like it was nothing he quickly turned it off and then that's when Billy G kicked him out. Which would make it a typical BCG over reaction!!!!!!
May 10, 201313 yr No problem with it? If I was being recruited by every school in the nation and a coach kicked me out of watching a practice, that school would be cut off my list instantly. If I'm a one and done I'm going somewhere to have fun and win. Not be talked down to and lose. If you don't have the discipline to turn your cell phone off at a practice where you are a GUEST, then I may not want you on my team anyway... JMO.
May 10, 201313 yr Don't really see a problem with that... I agree I think he did the right thing to ask him to leave.
May 10, 201313 yr Don't really see a problem with that... Same, he's done plenty of crazy thing but I don't see the issue here.
May 10, 201313 yr Personally, I dont see this as a big deal either. How is that different than Cal supposedly telling these kids, "Look. I can't hide you." and telling them how selfless they will have to be in order to be a part of this team. Possible low number of touches, etc. Amazing the things that people who win can get away with vs. those that don't....I get it. Part of it. Kind of like how Jimmy Johnson always told his college and Cowboy teams every year that he was going "to be very consistent in how I treated you. I will treat each one of you different." (based off their attitude, work ethic/coachable or now and making plays).
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.